August 15, 2022
Dear Adelante Selby Spanish Immersion families,
I hope everyone is well and excited to return to school this Wednesday, August 17th! Our teachers and staff are now all back doing professional development, planning, and preparing the classroom for a wonderful school year! In the first few weeks of school we will be working on building relationships with our students, building community in the classroom, and teaching our students the routines, procedures, and expectations needed to be be successful at school.
Our school wide expectations are around students being: Safe, Respectful, Responsible, Friendly and Caring, and Focused and ready to learn. We will praise students for behaviors that are specifically around these expectations in the classrooms, hallways, playground, cafeteria, and Library. Students will be "caught" doing a good job and reinforced for following these school wide expectations with the Alebrije Reward Tickets(the students sometimes call them the "Golden" Tickets).
It was great seeing everyone at MAZE day last week! I want to thank all of the Unidos PTO parent volunteers, community partners, and our staff for their help for a very successful MAZE day--great job! Approximately 520 families came through and were able to navigate the "maze" of tables and get their child(ren)'s schedule at the end so they know who their teacher is already! Additionally, I heard a LOT of positive comments about our new logo with the approved Alebrije Mascot on the new Spirit Shirts. Again, I want to thank Ann Hynecek for volunteering to paint the new Alebrije mural and Bryan Hynecek for countless volunteer hours last school year designing the Alebrije.
Important School Information 2022/23:
- 2022-23 COVID Protocols in School: Masks are highly recommended indoors, but not required. Students should test at home (with the district provided at-home Covid test you received at MAZE day)on Tuesday, August 16 prior to the first day of school.
- School Calendar : Please schedule family vacations around our school vacations.
- Bell Schedule : Please review so your child is dropped off and picked up on time.
- Dress Code : Please review and try your best to have your child follow our dress code daily. Shirts can be white, black, navy blue, gold/yellow; Pants/Shorts/Skirts/Dresses can be black, khaki/ beige, or navy blue--No BLUE JEANS please; Sweaters/sweatshirts: solid white, black, navy blue, gold/yellow, grey. School spirit shirts can be worn any day!
- Drop Off and Pick Up Procedures: Please be patient driving during Drop Off/Pick Up. TK-2 grade will drop off/pick up in the front lot by the office; 3rd-5th grade will Drop Off/Pick up using the Drive Through by the Library; 5th grade may also Drop Off in the AM at Himmel Parking Lot. Parents may also park outside(not in neighbors driveways please) and walk their child(ren) to the line up area, but may not go into the classrooms.
- Classroom Suggested Supplies Lists 2022/23. Director Warren needs(would REALLY like) hand sanitizer for Lunch time--last year the students particularly liked the Cucumber/Aloe scented kind from 365 Whole Foods!
- Student Absence Reporting Form: Please use this in lieu of calling the office.
2022-23 COVID Protocols in Our School
This new school year, we will continue to follow several precautionary measures in order for all of us to stay safe while we learn together. The Redwood City School District (RCSD) is following recommendations from the San Mateo County Office of Education’s (SMCOE) COVID-19 Safe Schools Framework, which was developed for 202-223 in consultation with San Mateo County Health (SMCH), reflecting guidance for schools and districts including from the California Department of Public Health (CDPH). You can find our District’s 2022-23 protocols on the RCSD website here.
Highlights from the District Protocols:
- Masking is strongly recommended for both students and staff indoors, but not required.
- Weekly Covid testing for students and staff is no longer offered at our school.
- All students were given an At Home Covid test to test your child(ren) on Tuesday, August 16th to make sure your child(ren) are not Covid positive before the first day of school Wednesday, August 17th. Use this LINK to report if your child(ren) tests positive
- We are no longer requiring Wellness Checks for students.
- Parent Volunteers are not allowed to volunteer in classrooms for the first month of school.
You can expect to receive additional information about our District’s protocols throughout the school year.
iSing 3rd-5th grade Girls After School Choir
iSing will provide opportunities for 3rd-5th grade girls to sing in a choir on Mondays after school from 2:30-3:30pm in Room 301 starting September 12th. If you are interested, sign up using this link: iSing Choir Application
Unidos PTO Membership Toolkit, Spirit ware Information, Volunteer Info
Wow! We had over 100 parents participate in LifeScan fingerprinting at MAZE day indicating their interest in volunteering this year. However, we want to remind everyone that parent volunteers still must be cleared by the school district using this link: School District Volunteer Form/Process. Volunteers must also submit proof of Covid vaccination and a negative TB test in order to be cleared by our school district.
Please sign up to be a member of Unidos using this link: Unidos Membership Toolkit
We sold out of the new Alebrije spirit shirts at MAZE day and now all orders must be done using this link: https://www.unidospto.org/spiritwear. Currently, we families can only order the new Alebrije spirit shirts, but we will be adding sweatshirts, hats, and shorts soon!
IMPORTANT REMINDER: COMPLETE THE BACK TO SCHOOL UPDATE FOR 2022/23
We have about 70 families that still need to complete the Back to School Infosnap update(below is the information). Our office staff can help any family that needs it. Reminder that students will not be allowed to use district technology until this update has been completed.
On an annual basis, Redwood City School District (RCSD) families review and provide new information to their child's Back to School Update. This packet of information is an important step as it helps families with the following:
- Provide any medical information to their child's school,
- Provide emergency contact information to their child’s school, and
- Access to any new and/or updated Board of Trustees policies.
Parents and guardians can access the Back to School Update below. Check your email from the School District for the 15 character SNAPCODE to complete the update:
BACK TO SCHOOL UPDATE : ENGLISH. ESPAÑOL
IMPORTANT REMINDER: If you have not done so already, PLEASE complete the InformedK12 Student Benefit Form:
For the 2022-23 school year, because all students eat for free, the district will not collect the usual Free or Reduced-Price Meal (FRPM) Applications. Instead, the district will ask households to complete an online InformedK12 Form sent to your email.This is a simple household income survey that can be completed online as a means of establishing eligibility of enrolled students for LCFF supplemental funding. The data collected is also acceptable for other non-LCFF funding allocations such as Title 1, E-Rate reimbursement (Schools and Libraries Program), and other state and federal grants that may be allocated in the future.
It is very important that all families please complete the form. All information is confidential. It is a fast and convenient way to apply for benefits with added privacy. Remember to list all your children and all the adults living in your household.
Child Nutrition Services: August Breakfast and Lunch Menus
A healthy body fosters a healthy and focused mind. Well-rounded meals served in RCSD school cafeterias are created using USDA nutrition guidelines as well as “kid-approved” recipes. Whole grains, milk, fresh produce, protein, and healthy fats containing Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids are the stars of the breakfast and lunch menu items. Studies show that good eating habits and healthy behaviors are connected to academic achievement. Meals provided by Child Nutrition Services help to shape lifelong healthy habits. All students have the opportunity to eat breakfast and lunch for free again this year through our Child Nutrition Services.
Here are the menus for August:
Our school office is now open and the office hours are 8:00-4:00pm. Entering the office, all visitors it is highly recommended that you:
- wear a mask
- use hand disinfectant when entering the office
Please visit our school website , Adelante Selby Facebook Page and our PTO/Unidos webpage and social media accounts: unidospto.org, Facebook and Instagram for more information.
Important August Dates
- 8/17 First Day of School
- 8/25 Food Distribution 2:45-4:00pm--High quality fruits, vegetables, and protein. Drive through the front parking lot of the school. ALL ARE WELCOME to participate!!
- 8/26 Principal's Coffee 8:30AM School Library
MAZE Day 2022/23!!
Parent Volunteer Fingerprinting!
Erica and Silvia giving out At Home Covid Tests for Tues, Aug 16th
Michelle, Kelly, and Laura: Helping out at the Unidos PTO table
TK/Kindergarten Ice Cream Social!
Staff Welcome Back Lunch and Team Photos
Maestras Ana y Nuria enjoying a sandwich and soup!
Staff Welcome Back Luncheon sponsored by Unidos: THANKS!!
3rd Grade Team: Maestras Maria, Silvia, and Suzie
Intervention Team: Maestras Angeles, Martha(Instructional Assistant), and Nell(missing Olga)
5th Grade Team: Maestros Jose Manuel, Jeannette, Lilli, and Ignacio
1st Grade Team: Maestras Alexa(Student Teacher), Nancy, Nuria, Ana, and Kelly
TK/Kinder Team: Maestras Suzanne, Jennifer, Marisa, and Eva(missing Narda)
2nd Grade Team: Maestras Adriana, Cinthya, Sara, and MaryJane
Special Education Team: Maestros Michelle, Cristina(Psychologist), Vicki, and Gary(Speech)