Bowie Choir Update
January 15, 2015
LOTS OF INFORMATION THIS WEEK! PLEASE READ CAREFULLY!
Panathenaea - An Explanation
The Bowie Choral Department is choosing the setting of this Grecian festival to serve as the cornerstone of our first annual dinner and entertainment banquet. We want to show our musical strength, and our unity as a choir family.
The Panathenaea will serve each year as a major fundraiser for the choir department, helping to defray the costs of uniform repair, music purchases, festival entrance fees, trip subsidies, and other needs of the department. The event will utilize each student to help decorate, prepare food, sell tickets, serve dinner, perform, and clean up. This is a major undertaking that will need everyone to succeed.
Tickets for Panathenaea will go on sale next week. Each student that is participating on the day of the event in any capacity is asked to purchase a ticket for themselves. This will reserve them a meal and give them the use of a Greek tunic for the evening that they will be able to accessorize to their liking (belts, arm bands, head attire, etc.). Additionally, we will be asking each student to sell a minimum of 5 tickets. Tickets will cost $10.00 each, with children 5 and under able to get in for free with a paying adult. NO TICKETS WILL BE SOLD AT THE DOOR.
Panathenaea will be held on Friday, February 6, from 6:00-9:00 PM.
The cost of the $10 ticket includes a come-and-go, restaurant style meal, served by our servitoroi (wait staff), and mousike (music) by our tragoudistes (singers). The evening meal will consist of:
- Horiatiki Salata (Greek Salad)
- Lemoni Kotopoulo with pasta (Lemon Chicken with Angel hair pasta)
- Fasolakia me amygdala (Green beans with toasted almonds)
- Sokolata Keik (Chocolate Torte)
- Lemoni Keik (Lemon Cake)
- Kafes, Tsai, Nero (Coffee, Tea, Water)
We are looking for 20-25 amazing musical acts from every class in the choral department to feature for this major fundraiser. Please sign up in the choir room! Have your audition piece fully prepared!
You are responsible for providing all instrumental music - meaning if it's live instruments, you have your musicians with you; if it is a karaoke track, you have the mp3 downloaded and ready to play, or you have it burned on to a CD.
Panathenaea Needs List
- Fake Foliage (ivy, ferns, etc.) for table and wall decor
- Greek-style Planters and/or Urns.
- Bed sheets and/or fabric for making tunics (cream and white colors)
UIL Solo/Ensemble Competition
CHARMS and REMIND101
To access CHARMS, go to:
- Your school code is: jbowiehschoir
- Student Area Password: your student’s school ID #
- Once you have entered the site, please click on “Personal Info” and update any information. You can also stay updated on many other important informational items such as volunteers, contacting teachers, fees and fines, assigned music, and uniform assignments.
This is the account that every choir member and parent should be a part of. Please follow the directions below to sign up for Remind if you have not already. Note: if you are in Chorale, Volunteer Voices, or are a Choir Officer, you should check with Mr. Lobaugh for directions on how to sign up for a second Remind service.
To receive messages via text, text @bowiech to 817-310-8279. See Google doc link below for an example.