Do You Have Influenza?
By: Savannah French
What is Influenza (Flu) and how is it spread?
Influenza is a highly contagious viral infection of the respiratory passages causing fever, severe aching, and catarrh, and often occurring in epidemics.
Influenza viruses spread in tiny droplets caused by coughing and sneezing. They usually spread from person to person. Sometimes, however, people become infected by touching something that was recently contaminated with the virus and then touching their mouth or nose.
How to prevent Influenza:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water or an alcohol-based hand rub.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth.
- Try to avoid close contact with sick people.
- Practice good health habits.
- Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze.