Weekly News - 1st Edition
Dear HSES Families,
It was wonderful seeing all of our families at our Open House last week. The staff did an outstanding job in preparing their rooms and the building for this special event. We are grateful for the engagement and the support that our families displayed. We look forward to a wonderful year together.
Every week, we will be sending out a newsletter with important school dates, reminders and information from our PTA. In addition, we will include a curriculum document that will share the focus standards by grade level every week. If there is additional information that you would like added, please feel free to email us your thoughts or ideas! Enjoy!
Yours in partnership,
Week of September 2nd
- 9/9 Back 2 School Blacktop 6:00 p.m.
- 9/16 Back to School Night Grades 1 & 2 6:00 p.m. Administration Presentation (Cafe)/ 6:30 p.m. Grade level presentations
- 9/18 Back to School Night Grades 3-5 5:00 p.m. GT Presentations/6:00 p.m. Administration Presentation (Cafe)/ 6:30 p.m. Grade level presentations
- 9/26 Fall Picture Day
- 9/27 Positive Office Referral Picture
- 9/30 Schools & Offices Closed - ROSH HASHANA
Celebrations: National Hispanic-Latino Heritage Month
- 10/2 National Custodial Worker's Recognition Day
- 10/3 Patapsco 50th Anniversary Celebration
- 10/4 Teacher Meeting 7:50 a.m. in Media Center
- 10/4 Pep Rallies 9:00 a.m. K-2 | 2:15 p.m. 3-5
- 10/7 Screenagers - The Next Chapter
- 10/7-10/15 Team Days Huddles | 1st 15 minutes of Recess
- 10/9 Schools & Offices Closed Yom Kippur
- 10/16 Main Event: Fun Run 9:00 a.m. K-2 | 10:00 a.m. 3-5
- 10/18 Schools Closed for students - MSTA Convention
- 10/21 Post Program Meeting and 1st Collections at 9:00 a.m.
- 10/21 Flu Clinic
- 10/27 Diwali
- 10/28 2nd Collections at 9:00 a.m.
- 10/29 PTA General Meeting 6:30 -8:00 p.m.
- 10/31 Halloween Parade
- 11/1 Schools Close 3 hours Early - End of 1st Marking Period
- 11/8 Make-up Picture Day
- 11/11 Veteran's Day
- 11/13 ESP Day - Educator Support Professional's Day
- 11/18 American Education Week
- 11/22 Positive Office Referral Picture
- 11/25 Kid's Heart Challenge
- 11/25 Schools Close 3 hours early - Parent/Teacher Conferences
- 11/26 Schools Close 3 hours early - Parent/Teacher Conferences
Celebrations: National American Indian Heritage Month
Advanced Planning Calendar: Information on this calendar is subject to change, but provides some additional information on upcoming dates. All confirmed dates will be reflected in the dates above. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1zk9QED0QBAJI_b46s6-U14D9FBHhTV9hYNBLRonoFKg/edit#gid=1548803383
HSES Website: http://hses.hcpss.org/
PTA Website: What is a PTA? "The main role of the local PTA is to build strong working relationships among parents, teachers and schools, in support of students. This can include recruiting and coordinating volunteers, providing special recognition in awards ceremonies or through other activities, organizing parent education events, planning teacher appreciation activities and much more."
Curriculum for coming weeks: As the school year gets underway, we will provide the standards that each grade level is focusing on for that week. For deeper understanding of the standards, please visit HCPSS.org for links to the curriculum - https://www.hcpss.org/academics/english-language-arts/curriculum/
School Improvement Focus for the School Year 19-20
First Day of School
Tuesday, September 3rd at 8:45 a.m. marks the first day of the 2019-20 school year! Our daily schedule begins with morning announcements at 8:45. Doors open at 8:30 a.m. Please make sure your children arrive at school by 8:30 a.m. so they can be in their seats, ready to learn, no later than 8:45 a.m. **Remember, we highly encourage you send your students to school the way in which they will arrive and dismiss all year. This allows them to start their routines immediately. Kindergarten students will all meet in the cafeteria and will be assisted in the transition from the bus to the building on this first day. The teachers will walk them to their classrooms.
Family File is Officially OPEN!
Families, please make it a priority to take a few minutes to enter or revise information regarding your child/children’s Family FIle. HCPSS Family File is where parents can input and access all of the information located on their child's Emergency Procedure Cards such as transportation, contact information, and medical considerations. For the safety of your child/children, it is very important that this information remains current. This information must be updated annually. Please ensure that it is completed by our Open House on 8/30. To update your Family File, please visit https://www.hcpss.org/connect/ .
For directions on how to input your child's information on Family File, click on the link below…
For frequently asked questions, click on the link below…
Arrival Dismissal Procedures
Please see the visual below for arrival and dismissal procedures. All car riders enter at the same entrance as marked in red. No cars should enter the bus loop during arrival and dismissal. Please follow the directions of the staff members to ensure the flow of traffic. Students should exit their vehicles on their own. All parents should remain in their vehicles. The staff can assist with opening doors as needed. All students enter the front of the school at the same location as indicated in light blue.
Thank you in advance for your patience and cooperation during our arrival and dismissal.
- Going to https://www.hcpss.org/calendar/
- Scrolling down to subscribe to a Calendar
- Right-clicking on the calendar you wish to subscribe to
- Selecting Copy Link Location/Address/Shortcut
- Adding to your calendar of choice (See your calendar for specifics on adding a new calendar)
PLEASE NOTE! The calendar is subject to change. The online calendar reflects the most recent version.
Food Services at HSES
Free and Reduces Meals Application
Parents of students who qualify for Free and Reduced Meals must submit a new application every school year. Details on the HCPSS FARMs program is online, including how to apply.
Paying For Meals
- Breakfast - $2.00 ($0.30 reduced)
- Lunch - $2.75 ($.045 reduced)
My School Bucks
- You can add money to your child's account in a through the My School Bucks website.
- Students can pay daily for lunch, milk, or snacks with cash.
- You can also save the cost associated with My School Bucks by adding larger amounts of money your child's Food Service account. Student can bring money to the cafeteria manager and she will add the money to your child's account.
At Hollifield Station, we serve breakfast each morning from 8:30 - 8:45 a.m. Students who wish to purchase breakfast simply need to go to the cafeteria when they arrive in the morning.
To view the menus for breakfast and lunch at Hollifield Station, please visit the Nutrislice website on the Food Servies page on the HCPSS website. There is also a Nutrisclice app you can download from iOS and Android platforms. If you have any questions about Food Services at Hollifield Station, please feel free to contact our Cafeteria Manager, Ms. Judi Schneider.
The school & bus locator features an efficient, mobile-friendly and informative format. The locator offers an enhanced map, pop-up messaging, same day updating capability, and additional school information. Type in your address to see your child’s school, bus schedule, and location of their bus stop.
For the first week of school, parents are asked to ensure students arrive at bus stops earlier than the usual five minutes.
Win HSES Spirit Wear!
The Hollifield Station PTA provides HSES students, teachers, and families with a wide variety of community activities and educational opportunities during the school year. These activities wouldn’t be possible without our community stakeholders becoming PTA members! Join the HSES PTA before the first day of school using the link below and you will be entered into a prize drawing to win HSES Spirit Wear!
For questions about membership please contact email@example.com.