Occupation and Description
- A sports nutritionist is an nutritionist that mainly focuses on Athletes nutrition other than like family members or just family's nutrition.
- A lot of sports nutritionists work with athletes to build up their strength,stamina and endurance. Also they teach the people that they help a lot it's just not telling them it's teaching them so they know what they are taking.
Certifications Necessary to Practice
Their are 2 different types of certifications one is ISSN and the other is the CISSN.
The ISSN stands for International Society of Sports Nutrition and CISSN stands for Certified Sports Nutritionist from the International Society of Sports Nutrition
Nature of the Work
- Their are a few one is Individual Nutrition Counseling- This is when the nutritionist sits down and talks to that one person individually about what they need to eat and things like that to be healthy.
- Another one would be getting the Food Service and the Menu all set up- this is when you set up what that person needs to eat and also it is setup so certain people who can't eat things that others can like peanuts cause maybe some people are allergic.
To become a sports nutritionist you could have a Bachelor's Degree with an 4 year sports nutrition degree or a Master's Degree in Dietetics, nutrition or an other health fields. Also some jobs might want you to to have a masters degree instead of a Bachelor's.
The median salary for a Sports Nutritionist would be 56,000 to 60,000
Skills to be successful in the profession
Some key skills to be a Sports Nutritionist would be Communication, Problem Solving,Analytical Skills and also just being really friendly to your clients.
A Sports Nutritionist would work at an office or maybe at a big company like Cerner or Hy Vee. Another one would be like any college or Nfl team.
- In the Los Angeles area, Cedars-Sinai Medical Center is taking the gospel of good nutrition to the streets, through a new initiative that targets young people in low income areas with mobile teams and Nutritionists.
- In February of 2015 their was a 55 percent of teenagers are overweight or obese.
- CBS News MoneyWatch included Dietitian and Nutritionist on its list of "Top 10 Healthcare Jobs for 2015."