Foothill MS Community Newsletter
August 24, 2020
Welcome to Week 2! It's amazing how much we learned over the past five days--students, parents/guardians, and staff! We have been able to trouble shoot almost every area and are prepared for the road ahead. It is important that your child attends their classes and utilizes teacher office hours for any assistance, questions, and support with their learning. Please see information below if your child misses any classes.
We have created a page on our Foothill website to assist with all things "Technology". Please visit to find answers on Zoom access, Google Access, etc. Below is an image of all the sources on our homepage to get answers. We are continually learning more about the platforms that your student will be using, which means we will update the Technology page as well as push information out through emails.
Later this week I will share information specific to donations for our classes, PFA donation requests, and Spirit Wear! YES--spirit wear is back! We look forward to having spirit days and activities via distance learning with opportunities for students to be connected. More details with the links for Back to School Night will be coming later this week.
Gratefully your principal, Mrs. Vaiana
Reporting and Clearing Absences
Students shall attend all classes and activities to which they are assigned. If a student does not attend his/her assigned class or activity, the absence shall be reported to the attendance secretary. When a student’s absence from school and/or class is not cleared, the parent / guardian will be notified.
All-Day & Partial Day Absences
must be cleared within 3 school days.
Call the Foothill ABSENCE LINE
Leave the following information on the voicemail:
Student’s name (Always SPELL the last name)
Reason for Absence (required)
Date(s) of absence(s)
Person & relationship making the call (Please SPELL the last name)
Your BEST daytime phone number
More than 12 excused absences due to illness in a school year is considered excess (AR5113); verification by a physician will be required for subsequent absences due to illness or medical appointments.
VALID EXCUSES FOR ABSENCES (CA EdCode 48205/ MDUSD BP/AR 5113)
Illness or injury of the student
Medical, dental, optometrical, or chiropractic appointments
Student attendance at a funeral service
Quarantine imposed by a city or county health official
Unexcused absences that the school should be notified of:
Always check your HomeLink account under Attendance. If there is an “A” code, please call Foothill to either clear the Absence or inquire regarding the reason for the codes.
Attendance as seen day to day during Distance Learning
Teachers are recording your child's attendance through the codes provided by CA State to represent their highest level of participation for that day:
P = Present: Online synchronous instruction, 1:1 office hours
- 4 = Online Activity: Completed a test, turning in assignments, etc
- 3 = Communication w/ Certificated Staff: 2-way communication with student and/or parent online or by email
- A = Absent (none of the above engagement)
- 6 = Support Service Access: Speech Therapy, OT, PT, Counseling
While "IN" class
- It is important for your child to understand they are "in class" and our school rules exist.
- Students may not take pictures of the screen, of their classmates or the teacher, and distribute through any unapproved media (anything not teacher directed). This includes all social media posting.
- School discipline will occur, which may include suspension of your rights to digital access as well as suspension from a class.
Responsible Use Policy
- Responsible uses of technology are devoted to activities which support teaching and learning. The following items constitute our agreement about the use of technology in the schools of Mt. Diablo Unified School District.
- Students using online tools such as but not limited to: Docs, MDUSD Google Apps for Education (GAFE), blogs, and podcasts are considered an extension of the classroom. Therefore, any speech that is considered inappropriate in the classroom is also inappropriate in all uses of blogs, podcasts, or other online tools. This includes—but is not limited to—profane, racist, sexist, or discriminatory remarks.
- These are examples of inappropriate activity on the MDUSD network, but MDUSD reserves the right to take immediate action regarding activities
- that create security and/or safety issues for the MDUSD network, Users, schools, network or computer resources;
- that expend MDUSD resources on content it determines lacks legitimate educational content/purpose; or
- other activities as determined by MDUSD as inappropriate.
This is an area we are still learning to navigate but you will find some answers here.
Back to School Night, September 2
- There will be an introductory video to welcome our community (administrators and counselors).
- Teachers will have either have pre-recorded videos or slide presentations available.
- More details pending.
Foothill MS Weekly Schedule
PFA Meetings--please join us.
Foothill's Parent Faculty Association meetings are normally held on the third Wednesday of the month at 7:00 p.m. Previously we meet in the school library, but due to the current Coronavirus Pandemic, we have switched to online only meetings using Zoom conferencing. Click here to request the Zoom link to our next meeting. The PFA does not typically hold a June, July, or a December meeting.
PFA meeting dates scheduled for the 2020-21 year are:
Wednesday, September 16, 2020
Wednesday, October 21, 2020
Wednesday, November 18, 2020
Wednesday, December 16, 2020 (if needed)
Wednesday, January 20, 2021
Wednesday, February 17, 2021
Wednesday, March 17, 2021
Wednesday, April 21, 2021
Wednesday, May 19, 2021
We encourage you to join us at our monthly meetings. Every parent/guardian is automatically a member of the PFA and we encourage you to attend, share your voice and get involved. You can learn more about what is happening at the school, ask questions, raise issues, and if you wish, volunteer your services.
Food service availability during Distance Learning
Here is the link to the District webpage of information.