Fork Shoals Library Ledger
News for the week of October 21st
Get ready for Halloween ComicFest!
This Saturday, 11am-5pm, Richard's Comics on Laurens Road in Greenville will be celebrating Halloween ComicFest with free comics, candy, and sketches, a costume contest, comic book signings, an appearance by the Ghost Busters, and a haunted room!
Other local comic book stores will also be giving away free comics on this special day! For a full list of Halloween ComicFest activities and participating stores, visit http://www.halloweencomicfest.com/Home/1/1/78/1138.
Reading program deadlines
Greenville Reading Warriors reading logs should be turned in to Ms. Knight no later than 8am on Thursday, October 31st!
Used Book Sale is this weekend!
The sale begins on Friday, October 25th, for Friends of the Library, and the sale is open to the public on Saturday and Sunday.
For more information on this event, go to http://www.greenville.k12.sc.us/ebb/ebb131015/friends.pdf.
Attention 4th and 5th graders! Battle of the Books is about to begin!
- Read a minimum of 3 (preferably 5) of the 10 books listed below by the beginning of December.
- Attend practice sessions on Tuesday afternoons (2:30-3:00) in the library starting in December continuing through April.
- Read at least 6 of the 10 books by the beginning of January.
- Read all 10 books by the beginning of February.
*If the number of students participating exceeds the required number for a school team, it may be necessary to assess which students are most knowledgeable about the books through a written evaluation or a school competition round to be determined by the librarian.*
District competition is typically mid-April at Mauldin High School in the early evening. Students must have their own transportation to this event.
This year's Battle of the Books titles are:
- Double Dog Dare by Lisa Graff
- Freaky Fast Frankie Joe by Lutricia Clifton
- Leepike Ridge by N.D. Wilson
- Pie by Sarah Weeks
- Plunked by Michael Northrop
- The Adventures of Beanboy by Lisa Harkrader
- The Humming Room by Ellen Potter
- The Mighty Miss Malone by Christopher Paul Curtis
- Waiting for the Magic by Patricia MacLachlan
- Wonder by R.J. Palacio
See Ms. Knight if you'd like more information on Battle of the Books.
Book of the Week: Wink, the Ninja Who Wanted to Nap
Wink: The Ninja Who Wanted to Nap by J.C. Phillipps is a nominee for the 2013-2014 South Carolina Picture Book Award.
After performing in the Lucky Dragon Circus, it’s time for Wink to take a break. Wink, however, is finding that taking a nap might not be so easy when he’s surrounded by adoring fans. So what does he do? After trying everything he can think of, Wink returns to the Summer Moon School for Young Ninjas and takes the advice of Master Zutsu. It’s time for this ninja to nap, and he’ll need some help to get the rest he needs!
As a lifelong lover of naps, I enjoyed this book. The best part, though, was not Wink’s quest for sleep. It was the lovely illustrations. The collages really jumped off the page and, in my opinion, brought a little of Japan to the reader.
Dates to Remember:
- October 21-24 - Boosterthon Activities
- October 21-25 - School Bus Safety Week
- October 25 - Boosterthon Fun Run; Last day of 1st quarter
- October 28 - Reading Challenge sheets due
- October 29 - Makeup picture day
- October 30 - Reading Warriors logs due
- October 31 - Report cards
- November 1 - Spirit Day
Square One Art
The students have been busy in their art class creating work for Square 1 Art, and are very excited! Through Square 1 you can order your child's art on a variety of items- water bottles, mugs, tshirts, ornaments, even iPod and phone cases! Keep your eyes open for more information sent home with your child soon.