As the heart of the gifted community, the mission of the SAGE Center is to ensure all students, as members of a global society, foster their uniqueness, develop their potential, and embrace their true belonging through learning experiences distinguished by:
- Courageous exploration and discovery of passions in a flexible and innovative environment
- Support systems for students, staff, and community
- Ownership and self-regulation in a student-driven culture
Home of the SAGE Illuminators
It's 4th quarter and things are hopping here at the SAGE Center! We are SO excited to finally be able to welcome all of our middle school students back one day a week! It has been a breath of fresh air to see our Illuminators come together rather than alternating weeks.
Please stay on the look out for emails and flyers that may be coming from your child's SAGE teacher about special dates, events, and due dates for our SAGE students. As always, feel free to contact your child's SAGE teacher with questions or clarifications.
As we'll be quickly wrapping up the SAGE year in just a few short weeks, below are the SAGE last days have now been established. Please mark your calendar for the dates below.
Have a great April! Thank you for all you do for supporting the SAGE Center!
Your Partner in Education,
Last SAGE Days for elementary and middle schools:
- Mon., May 17th – 3rd, 5th, & 7th /8th grades (NM)
- Tues., May 18th - 3rd, 5th, & 7th /8th grades (NG, MP)
- Wed., May 19th - 2nd grade
- Thurs., May 20th - 2nd, 4th, 7th & 8th grades (AN)
- Fri., May 21st - K, 1st, 4th, 5th, & 6th grades (GW/EG)
Fri., May 28th
Collaborating on Coping Strategies
3rd graders collaborated on coping strategies to overcome anxiety & perfectionism
Reflecting on what worked, didn't work and next steps of improvement
Using recyclable t-shirts to create travel bags with books for foster children
COVID Related Issues:
- If your child is quarantined from the regular school for a COVID related issue, your child will also not be allowed to attend at the SAGE Center until the return to school date has been met.
- Students who are on quarantine will be able to participate in SAGE on their assigned SAGE day via Canvas.
- Feel free to reach out to the SAGE Office or your child's SAGE teacher with questions.
- Antigen tests are available for students who may exhibit symptoms while at school. Parent permission and parent attendance is required for administering a test.
- If your child becomes ill, he/she will be seen by our SAGE Nurse. The nurse will then contact the parent if the student needs to go home. For the safety of all students and staff, we appreciate parents making arrangements for their child to be picked up as soon as possible.
- Please remember to conduct a quick well check with your child before sending them to school to ensure that he/she is not exhibiting symptoms of illness.
- During this time period, our staff is meeting all visitors at the South double doors of the Center.
- Upon arrival, please contact the SAGE Office at (816) 321-5350 for assistance.
- In the event that a visitor needs to enter, visitors will not be allowed to remain in the building.
- Masks are required in all areas of the NIC.
Public Entrance Only:
- Students should not be dropped off or picked up near the main entrance of the Northland Innovation Center as this is a public entrance for all tenants of the building.
- Students who are dropped off or picked up from the SAGE Center should enter and exit from the South double doors of the Center. Please pull all the way forward to the orange cone in order to leave plenty of room for others so that the Eastside public entrance of the NIC is not blocked.
- At this time, there are no visitors at lunch on any SAGE day through the remainder of the school year.
News from the Nurse
We're Thinking Spring!
As the weather is slowly beginning to warm up, this will bring students wearing shorts, t-shirts, and sandals. Because of health and safety reasons, students are encouraged to wear shoes or sandals with a closed toe and a back strap, especially for recess at the elementary level.
Flip flops are discouraged during the school day. Our students must travel up and down flights of stairs where they can lose their footing, or kick a stair as they ascend the stairs. Please make certain that your child leaves the house with proper shoes on their feet. In the past, the nurses’ office has seen many cuts, scrapes, and injuries related to inappropriate footwear.
If you have any questions, please contact the SAGE Nurse's Office at 816-321-5350 or your child's home school Nurse.
Lunch at SAGE
Scroll to "Menus" and look for "NIC." It is typically under the Middle School tab, but the menu is for all K - 8 SAGE students.
2nd graders adding recipes to their digital cookbook
SAGE Start Up
Middle School students taking proof shots of their product
March PAGS Speaker Series
Presenting Colin Seale, Thinking Like a Lawyer. If you missed the live presentation, check out the recording in the PAGS section below
Missouri Scholars 100
Upcoming Learning Opportunity for Parents
Join the National Association for Gifted Children (NAGC) and CTY in a conversation with other parents and CTY experts to share ideas and learn new strategies for supporting your gifted child and yourself.
April 21st at 6 p.m. Use Zoom link below to sign up:
PAGS April Speaker Series
Check out the information below to be sure to have all of your ingredients ready and your coffee prepared before you begin! See below for ingredients and utensils needed.
Join us Wed., April 21st at 6 p.m. for the family cooking class brought to you by Titti's Way.
Parenting Tool Kit Help
Need some ideas on keeping your kid occupied at home? Unsure how to manage the stress and anxiety that comes with working from home and virtual learning?
While we can't solve these problems for you, we have collected some resources that can help! Introducing our very first PAGS Parenting Toolkit.
If you would like to see any additional topics/items or if you have resources that you have found helpful and would like to share, let us know and we will get them added.
PAGS Memberships are still available at $10 per family. Feel free to join and support SAGE Illuminators all year long!
Parent Summer Resources
Check out the details of the Davidson Institute for Summer Program
SAGE Partners in Education
At the SAGE Center, we are so lucky to have several area businesses as our Partners in Education. We work closely with each partner in a variety of ways: Field trips, expert visits, tours, consultation, brainstorming, career planning and much more.
Feel free to support these businesses in your daily travels through the area:
- EBCFO, LLC
- Edward Jones, Ryan Mitchell
- Eric Craig Real Estate Team
- Park University
- Solar Holdings, LLC
- Stone Canyon Pizza, Gladstone
- Weber Inc.
- AY Young Battery Tour & United Nations Young Global Leader
How Can I Stay Current?
You can "LIKE" NKC SAGE on Facebook or follow us on Twitter @NKC_SAGE. Please also watch for periodic emails or phones calls from the Center.