Woodcrest Spanish Immersion
February 17, 2021 Newsletter
See translation information below / Consulte la información de traducción a continuación.
Del Escritorio del Sr. Franke
Woodcrest is having a heat wave
Greeting Woodcrest families,
These last few weeks have been a challenge to us all. I am looking forward to the upcoming heat wave we are beginning to experience. I can imagine that you all are looking forward to outdoor recess for all students, whether they are at school or at home.
This last week our teachers have begun hosting conferences. I continue to hear, from both teachers and families, that they have been having rich conversations about the success of your children. I am happy to share this and look forward to hearing more from you about the family experience you are having with our flexible scheduling of conferences. I appreciate hearing from you about conferences or other experiences and I encourage you to continue sharing with me. It is hard to believe that trimester 3 is just around the corner. There are few things I would like you to keep in mind and on your calendars.
- For families with students in fourth grade, mark February 25 to participate in virtual information sessions for fourth grade families transitioning to Westwood next year. You can also find more information in this newsletter.
- Families that want to request a change from Extended Flexible Learning to learning at school full-time can make their request by contacting our school office, at 763-600-5800, February 22-26. We need to have any requests by the end of day on Friday, February 26 in order to have time to make any needed adjustments to class rosters for trimester 3. We’ll be working to honor all requests as we begin the trimester. Please know that families, may continue to request a move to Extended Flexible Learning at any time.
Before I sign off this week, I want to remind you all that I am excited the virtual Panthers for a Purpose giving event is almost here. I hope that you all will join us Saturday, February 27 at 7 p.m. when you can tune in live to see some familiar faces….and join together in some fun for a good cause. Find more information in the newsletter and on the website.
Thank you for your continued partnership. Please do not hesitate to reach out and share your experience as a member of this community.
Funds for food through Pandemic EBT
Students who are eligible for free or reduced-priced meals in our school will get Pandemic EBT (P-EBT) funds through the 2020-2021 school year. P-EBT funds can be used to help you buy healthy food for your student and family. A new P-EBT card will be mailed for each child who qualifies for free and reduced-price meals.
It's not too late to complete an application for free and reduced-price meals. If you previously did not qualify for free/reduced-price meals and your financial circumstances have changed, you are welcome to reapply. Be sure to sign up before February 28 to get the P-EBT benefits as soon as late March.
If you have questions, contact Nutrition Services, email@example.com or 763-600-5041.
Need more food help? If you are eligible for P-EBT you might also be eligible for SNAP. Contact the Minnesota Food HelpLine to see if you are eligible 888-711-1151.
Library Book Checkout for Extended Flexible Learning Students
Starting the week of February 22, Extended Flexible Learning students can reserve library books and pick them up at their home school. This book pick-up process will happen every week for the remainder of the school year for EFL students, with the exception of scheduled non-school days on Wednesdays.
Reservation and Pick-up instructions:
- On the Monday of each week, students and/or family members need to request the books they would like to check out. To do this, first, go to the Destiny Discover app on your iPad and log in using your district username and password
- Once logged in, students can search available books and place hold requests for pickup; eBooks and other digital resources may also be available for checkout by Monday morning.
- Next, wait to receive confirmation via Schoology that the books are available and ready to pick up on Wednesday.
- On Wednesday of that week, go to your home school during the hours listed below. Call the number and someone will bring the books out to your vehicle.
To be eligible, overdue books must be returned or the corresponding fines must be satisfied. Books will be held for two weeks.
Wednesday Pick-up times and number to call
- Centerview - 10 a.m.-1:30 p.m., 763-600-5500
- Northpoint - 11 a.m. - 1 p.m., 763-600-5700
- Park Terrace - 11 a.m. - 1 p.m., 763-600-5600
- Woodcrest Spanish Immersion - 1-3 p.m., 763-600-5800
- Westwood Intermediate and Middle School - 8:45-9:45 a.m. and 2-3 p.m., 763-600-5308
- Spring Lake Park High School - 10 a.m.-1 p.m., 763-600-5100
For 4th grade families: Introduction to Westwood February 25
We’re looking forward to meeting the Class of 2029 and their families at next week’s Introduction to Westwood virtual sessions on Thursday, February 25.
These sessions are intended for families to learn more about the school, the transition to 5th grade and to meet members of the Westwood team.
As a reminder, there will two sessions offered at each of the times - one session for Centerview, Northpoint and Park Terrace families and one session for Woodcrest Spanish Immersion families. The content of each presentation will be the same so families only need to attend one session.
Plan to attend a live virtual session during one of these three times on Thursday, February 25:
- Coffee and Conversations - 9 a.m.
- Lunch and Learn - Noon
- Dessert and Discuss - 6:30 p.m.
Not able to make these sessions? No worries, there will also be a recorded presentation available to families after these sessions with the same great information.
Questions? Contact the Westwood office at 763-600-5300.
Spring Pictures and Fall Retakes
Fall Retakes will take place on March 9 from 3-4 p.m. Yesica will connect with parents to let them know the time that their student is scheduled to have their fall picture retaken. Parents make sure that you send the fall picture packet with your student on March 9.
Spring Pictures and Fall Retakes will take place in the Pina Room.
Register for the Panthers for a Purpose Silent Auction, show your dance moves for Challenge #3
The Panthers for a Purpose virtual giving event is almost here! Starting this week, you can preview the fantastic Silent Auction items and mark your favorites here. The Silent Auction, featuring 300+ items will open Wednesday, February 24. Packages start as low as $25 with all proceeds going to the Panther Pantry and Weekend Pack Program. This event is free, but you need to be registered in order to bid on the items. Follow this link to register and click "get started" to begin.
As a reminder, Challenge #3 is underway which means it's time to get your groove on, Panthers! Put on some music and show us your favorite moves between now and February 24.
Send videos of your family dance party to PantherFoundation@district16.org to be entered in the prize drawing.
Remember to tune in on Saturday, February 27 at 7 p.m. for the Panthers for a Purpose virtual giving event as we celebrate our Panther spirit, unite our community for a purpose and fill the Panther Pantry. Watch the event at SpringLakeParkSchools.org/giveback.
Want more Reading and Literacy tips? Check out the WCSI books instagram page!
Click on the photos below to enlarge.
WSCI PTO Dine-to-Donate Night at Chipotle Northtown (599 Northtown Dr. NE, Blaine, MN)
Join us (in spirit) by eating Chipotle on Wednesday, February 24 from 4-8 p.m. A percentage of sales will be donated back to the WCSI PTO! Use the Promo Code BG8MXMR for online orders on the app or website. Mention WCSI PTO Dine-To-Donate if ordering in the store. PTO funds go towards staff appreciation, student enrichment and community engagement. We'd love to see photos of family dinner night on our WCSI PTO Facebook page! Thanks!
Scholastic Book Club
Woodcrest PTO is offering Scholastic Book Club. Please visit Scholastic and enter class code NJ89V. All purchases will help earn FREE books which will be used to support children's literacy at Woodcrest. Questions about Scholastic Book Club can be emailed to PTO.
FREE Digital Games Available
Free Digital Family Game Night for all via Breakout EDU! 11 days left to complete one February game and be entered into the monthly prize drawing. Sign up online with code OQXAW6
Box Tops for Education
Please check your cupboards!
If you have anything with box tops, please clip off the box tops and bring to school by Monday, February 22. This may be one of our last mailed submissions as the program is transitioning to scanning receipts through their app only. Please continue your support by downloading the app! Together, everyone's receipts could add up to a nice donation for WCSI PTO to support students and staff!
- February 16- Access testing begins. Reach out to Yesica if you want a test exemption form for the 2020-2021 school year.
- February- Winter Conferences. Sign up for a time.
- March 9- Spring Pictures and Fall Retake Day.
- March 12-22 Spring Break
Winter Weather Recess
Parents- As winter weather comes once again, please keep in mind some things: All students will be expected to go outside for recess unless the weather does not permit. Students will need a written note from a physician to be excused from recess. Students are expected to wear boots, snow pants, coats and appropriate winter clothing. The following are our guidelines for canceling outdoor recess:
- The outside temperature is 0 degrees and/or the wind-chill factor is –10 degrees Fahrenheit
- Extreme icy or sloppy conditions
- Raining and/or lightning
Lost and Found
Woodcrest Media Center Needs your help!
Parents- we ask that you check your home for any Woodcrest Spanish Immersion books that might be hiding. We would love to be able to get some books back into students hands so that they can enjoy them!
Translate This Newsletter / Traducir Este Boletín
To translate this newsletter information to another language, please click anywhere on the newsletter to open it in a web browser and at the top of the page, select your language from the dropdown menu.
Para traducir este boletín de noticias a otro idioma, por favor presionen en cualquier lugar del boletín para abrir el boletín en un navegador web y en la parte superior de la página seleccione su idioma del menú.