Make a PACT for Prevention
Commit to Healthy Choices to Help Prevent Birth Defects
- Get 400 micrograms (mcg) of folic acid every day.
- See a healthcare professional regularly.
Avoid harmful substances.
- Avoid alcohol at any time during pregnancy.
- Avoid smoking cigarettes.
- Avoid marijuana and other "street drugs".
- Prevent infections.
Choose a healthy lifestyle.
- Keep diabetes under control.
- Strive to reach and maintain a healthy weight.
Talk with your healthcare provider.
- Talk to a healthcare provider about taking any medications.
- Talk to a healthcare provider about vaccinations (shots).