The FRIDAY Review
August 30, 2019
From Mrs. Lewis...
- ADMIN HELP - Thank you so much for your extra help. What would we do without you?? (Bream, Blue, Peek, Best)
- DISCIPLINE - If a student is written up (major) in Educator's Handbook, there must be documentation in Educator's Handbook that a parent contact and/or a bounce has been made FIRST (Minor). REMEMBER to save your BIGGEST consequence (write up) as a last resort. (parent phone calls, bounce, mentor intervention, seating change, admin conference)
- CHROMEBOOK FORMS? AUPS? Students are all owed to have a chromebook assigned to them once they turn in all forms. Students that DO NOT pay the $25 tech fee, CANNOT their chromebooks home. AT THIS TIME, students are not allowed to take Chromebooks home until teachers are notified. Stay tuned.
- TECHNOLOGY - If you have technology needs, please see Mrs. Harris. Technicians in our building are not allowed to work on equipment and/or resolve technology issues without a work order #.
- FROM THE NURSE - STAFF HEALTH FORMS - A form has been placed in your box that you can submit to the nurse providing emergency info. These will be kept in the Nurse's office just in case there is a medical issue. (not required) FIRST RESPONDERS - a list was placed in your box. Please add Janet Jacobs to the list. Post is a visible location.
- HALLWAYS -Students must be on the green line and silent during the school day. During morning arrival and afternoon dismissal, students should have a minimal voice level and walk on the right side of the hallway.
- POWER TIME - Manilla folders have been distributed to grade level chairs and will be given to each homeroom teacher. A POWER TIME refresher will be held during PLC on Tues., Sept. 3rd. POWER TIME will begin on Wed., Sept. 4th. CLASSROOM BOOKS are available in the library. Pick some up for your class.
- TACTICAL VESTS - Students have been observed wearing mock "tactical vests" on campus. Please report any citings to administration.
- BUSES - We will begin on Tuesday, Sept 3, our usual dismissal process. On the 1st bell release car riders and 1st load bus riders. On the 2nd bell, walk your students in a orderly line to the cafeteria. Please help supervise a table of students.
- EVACUATION MAP - Make sure that the map in your box is posted by the classroom door. If you did not receive a clipboard see Mrs. Tippett ASAP.
- CURRICULUM NIGHT - September 26, 6 - 7pm
- FIRE DRILL -Please make sure you have gone over procedures for a fire drill. We are required to have a fire drill within the first 10 days of school. If you are unsure as to where your class is to report once outside please see your grade level chair.
CAFETERIA NOISE LEVEL- Please help monitor noise level in the cafeteria. Lunch is a time to socialize with friends, but there should be no yelling or screaming across tables. Consider ending lunch a few minutes early to take a stroll around campus. (Watch out for critters)
PBIS RESOURCES -PBIS resources were added to the Livebinder (password is SHMS19). Thank you to the PBIS committee for all the hard work!
PARENT COMMUNICATION - What would happen if a parent gave a written document from school or a recorded conversation with school personnel to Channel 13 NEWS? Be extra vigilant when communicating. Both parents and students are our customers. How are you communicating? EACH TEAM must have a means to communicate with parents (should be weekly).
CLASSROOM SUPPLIES - Since we serve a poverty ridden community, we have been asked by the district to supply as many materials for our students, as possible. Please see an administrator if you need supplies (within reason) rather than requiring students to purchase additional materials/supplies.
STUDENT ABSENCES - Please ensure that you are checking on students that are absent. Please involve Mrs. Fehlman (social worker) and Mr. Patrick (attendance liason) when a student has excessive absences.
ENFORCE 911 - The district has purchased an electronic reporting system for emergency situations for administrators and teachers. More to come.
Got ANNOUNCEMENTS FOR FRIDAY REVIEW - Send by Thursday at 4pm
JUST A REMINDER...
- Above, see links for a google doc of events, google calendar link and the SHMS Livebinder link. (Password SHMS19)
- UNITED DAY OF CARING - SEPT 6 (SHMS will suppport Project INASMUCH - Grade levels are asked to donate the following items - Boxes of Raisins, Cups of Apple Sauce, Pudding Cups, Oatmeal Pies, Cheese Its, Slim Jims, Cereal Bars, #8 Brown Paper Bags
- SUNSHINE DUES - $20 Give to Tiffany Spencer
- NON-NEGOTIABLES - (teach on your feet unless you are conducting small group instruction, cell phones away while students are in your care, while on duty and/or during professional meetings, Praise in public - reprimand in private, SHMS is a no yell zone, students should be supervised at ALL times, the Friday Review and all emails will be read in a timely manner)
August 30- PBIS Kickoff
August 30 - PDP Self Assessment and Training Date due in NCEES
September 2 - Labor Day Holiday - NO SCHOOL
September 3 - PLCs in Grade Level Chair's Room
September 4 - Planning in Grade Level Chair's Room
September 5 - Meet the Coaches Night 6pm
September 5 - Back to School Soc Hop 3:45 - 5:30
September 6 - Student Support Meeting 9pm (conference room)
September 9- Volleyball Jamboree @ Sandy Grove
September 10 - Grandparent’s Day
September 10- Golf at ?????
September 11- PBIS Wacky Wednesday Raffle
September 11 - Field Trip Requests Due to Ms. Audrey
September 12- Volleyball at Spring Hill
September 13 - 2 hour Delay (10:30 Start) for Students (Staff PD)
September 16 - SIT Meeting
- Don't forget to contribute to the Unity Day of Caring. We are supporting, Project Inasmuch! Submit your items to the front office by September 6th. Thanks to Sharyl Gross for your donation, already.
- Thank you to Mrs. Macy, Mrs. Fehlman, Mrs. Snell, Mr. Bush, Deputy Barton and Mrs. Covington for a smooth car loop dismissal!
- A big shout out to Mrs. Wriston for helping secure a Spirit Rock for our school. This will be used as a fundraiser for both staff and students to give shouts outs, celebrate birthdays, etc. A BIG THANK YOU to Vulcan Materials for the donation!
- Congratulations to Mrs. Laws for being named the District Teacher Asst. of the year! :) Woo Hoo!
- Thank you to several teachers that have stepped up to mentor students this week that had a challenging start...Robin Miller, Tiffany Spencer, Edward Cain, Robert Drakeford, Carrie Laws.
- Kudos to Montpelier Church for the delicious desserts during Open House.
- A big shout out to Mrs. Harris, Mrs. Snell, Mrs. Fehlman, Ms. August Chavis, Mr. Cain, Mrs. Spencer, Mrs. Miller and Ms. Sager for helping get Chromebooks ready for distribution.
- Thank you to our front office staff for holding things together this week through the craziness. Mrs. Janet, Ms. Audrey, Ms. Lynette. : )
- SUNSHINE MESSAGE: A spirit calendar will be created for each month. Enjoy the fun!!! (Mrs. Spencer will get you the calendar.)
- Please keep Marsharika Quick in your prayers as she returns to work after the passing of her brother.
- Thank you all for your prayers, calls, texts, words of encouragement and the beautiful flowers! I am on the mend. ~Pam Lewis