Ohio State Tests
Next Generation Assessments at SWCS
Four Things You Need to Know about Ohio's NEW State Tests
- Content Areas Tested: Ohio's State Tests take the place of the Ohio Achievement Assessments (OAA) this school year.
- English Language Arts (Reading) & Mathematics assessments are developed through the Partnership for Assessment of Readiness for College & Careers (PARCC)
- Science & Social Studies assessments are developed through the Ohio Department of Education.
- All assessments are aligned to Ohio's Learning Standards.
2. Grade Levels Assessed:
- ELEMENTARY/INTERMEDIATE/MIDDLE SCHOOLS: All students in grades 3-8 will be assessed in Reading & Mathematics. In addition, Science will be assessed in grades 5 and 8; Social Studies in grades 4 and 6.
- HIGH SCHOOLS: Students that are scheduled to graduate in 2018 and beyond, who are currently enrolled in English 1, English 2, Algebra 1, Geometry, & Physical Science are required to take the new Ohio State Tests.
- High school students in any grade who are taking American History & American Government this year are also required to take the new Ohio State Tests. Any student taking AP American Government is not required to take the American Government test, if they take the AP exam test.
- Students scheduled to graduate in 2017 will still take the Ohio Graduation Test (OGT) in Reading, Mathematics, Writing, Science & Social Studies using paper/pencil in March 2015.
3. Revised Assessment Times:
- For all students taking the new Ohio State Tests, they will be administered in two parts: February-March 2015 (Performance Based Assessments) and April-May 2015 (End of Year Assessments). These dates are available on the district website.
4. Preparation for Assessments:
- Grades 3-12 will be taking all assessments paper/pencil this year at SWCS, with the exception of Grade 9 Algebra I & Geometry for 7-9th Grades, who will be taking those assessments online.
Questions? See your child's Principal for more information.