Math News You Can Use
October 10, 2015 - Daily 5: Making Connections
Guided Math (Daily 3 Math) is Similar to Daily 5 for Literacy
Daily 5 teaches our learners to be independently engaged in literacy activities so they can practice important skills. This is the same goal for Daily 3 Math.
The focus of Daily 3 Math is not to teach specific math content. It is a time to give our learners time to practice and explore math concepts through engaging and differentiated activities.
Daily 3 Math
1. Math by Myself
2. Math with Someone
3. Math - Writing
Note: Many teachers have added Math with the Teacher and Math with Technology for Daily 5 Math.
10 Steps to Teaching and Learning Independence
Just like Daily 5 for Literacy, behaviors need to be discussed, demonstrated, and practiced. Read by Myself and Math by Myself are introduced and practiced in similar ways.
- Identify what is to be taught (for example, Math by Myself)
- Set the purpose and establish a sense of urgency (makes me better at learning and understanding math, and it is fun).
- Brainstorm desired behaviors using an I-chart.
- Model most desirable behaviors.
- Model least desirable behaviors, and then most desirable.
- Place students around the room.
- Everyone practice and build stamina.
- Stay out of the way.
- Quiet signal (as soon as stamina breaks). Come back to group.
- Group check-in: "How did you do?"
Add This Topic to Your Agenda
Next Meeting Dates
- Tuesday, October 13 - Frost 1st, 2nd, 3rd Grades
- Thursday, October 15 - Brentwood - 5th, 4th, 3rd Grades
- Friday, October 16 - Frost - K, 4th, K
- Monday, October 19 - Brentwood - K, 1st, 2nd Grades