Culver Elementary March 2018
-----------------From the Desk of Mrs. Proskey--------------
Standardized Testing has Begun Again...
It is that time of year again, where standardized testing has begun...
We are all really anxious for our schools to do well.
But please remember that among the teachers who will be administering the exams...
There is a Math teacher who not only brought the love of numbers to his/her students but supplied snacks for hungry bellies.
There is an English teacher who showed his students that reading and writing can take them beyond their wildest dreams as he listened to what disturbed theirs.
There is a History teacher who taught her students the importance of learning from the past while providing a safe place for them to make a mistake.
There is a Special Ed teacher who was able to bring the curriculum to her students so they can know the feeling of success.
If our school gets high scores, that’s great, we will celebrate.
But if those scores are not as high as we would have expected or as high as that rival school, please know that those teachers take the results very personally.
Please don’t take away their passion or question their professionalism.
Tell them that you appreciate how hard they work. That you understand the struggles they face.
Tell them that these are just scores and that what they do for their students, could never be measured by numbers.
One exam or score should not measure a teacher’s/student's worth or value.
Let them know that you support them and that they are making a difference.
Please do this and watch as those teachers and students rise to heights unknown.
ISTEP Testing- Round 1 (Almost Complete) YAY!!
March 5 through March 9- Make Up Testing
March 13th- IREAD 3
March 14th-16th- Make Up Testing
If you are interested in finding out more about the IREAD3 test, it's Blueprints and Specifications, Item Samplers, and Additional Resources, please click HERE.
By pressing this button, you can view the official Culver Elementary School Webpage, where you can view official documents (the breakfast & lunch menu) and links to the Middle School and High School.
Special Meetings/ Activities/ Dates
4th grade- Science/5th Grade Social Studies
2:00 Read Across America (Wear your Dr. Seuss attire)
March 5- Monday
March 8- Thursday
4:30- PTO Meeting @ Administration Building
March 9- Friday
6:00 Preschool Round Up in the CES Library
March 14- Wednesday
End of 3rd nine weeks Grading Period
3rd Nine Weeks R.E.A.D. Deadline
March 15- Thursday
6:00 Kindergarten Round Up in the CES Library
Report Cards are ready to view on Harmony (Harmony Family Access Link BELOW)
Spring Picture Day
March 19- Monday
Dr. Seuss Spirit Week (March 19th-23rd)
Read Parties this week
3:30 Jump Rope for Heart Bowling Party (After School)
7:00- Board Meeting
March 20- Tuesday
1:30 K, 2 & 4 Spring Music Program Rehearsal
March 21- Wednesday
9-10am Pre-K Day
12:40-1:40pm Preschool Visit (Please register ahead-call the main office 574-842-3389)
6:00 K, 2 & 4 Spring Music Program
March 26 Friday - April 6 Friday
April 9- Monday
School Back in Session
Click here to retrieve your children's Harmony Information (report cards, lunch information, grades, homework, etc.)
March 12th is the Last Day to Order Yearbooks
Picture Day- Friday March 16th
Preschool & Kindergarten Round Up/ Pre-K Days
- We will be having a Preschool Round Up on Tuesday, March 13 at 6:00pm in the Elementary Library.
- Culver Elementary School will be holding Kindergarten Round Up on Thursday, March 15th at 6:00pm in the Culver Elementary Library. Please come prepared to register your child with their birth certificate and shot records. Your child will meet their new teachers, get a tour of their new classrooms, and receive a Culver Elementary Kindergarten T-Shirt!!! We are so excited to meet our new Cavaliers!!! #CULVERPRIDE
- If you have any questions or interest in sending your child to Preschool at CES, please call 574-842-3364.
- We will also be hosting a Pre-K day on Wednesday March 21nd. If your child does not currently attend a local preschool and received a packet from them, please visit the office to pick up a registration form.
On My Way Pre-K (Preschool Tuition Assistance)
On My Way Pre-K Applications Now Available!
On My Way Pre-K applications are now being accepted – and we need your help spreading the word!
Starting today, eligible families in the 20 On My Way Pre-K counties (full list here) can apply for a 2018-2019 pre-K grant by visiting www.OnMyWayPreK.org. This marks the full implementation of the second stage of Indiana’s public-funded pre-K program.
As a reminder, to be eligible:
- Families must have an income below 127 percent of the federal poverty level.
- The child must be 4 years old by August 1, 2018, and starting kindergarten in the 2019/2020 school year.
- Parents/guardians in the household must be working, going to school or attending job training.
Links to electronic applications, in both English and Spanish, as well as a printable paper application, are available at www.OnMyWayPreK.org.
Once enrolled, families may choose from any of the eligible, enrolled On My Way Pre-K programs in their county. Families can search approved providers at www.ChildCareFinder.IN.gov or call 1-800-299-1627 for assistance from an early learning referral specialist.
More than 5,000 Hoosier children have attended preschool through a grant from the On My Way Pre-K program since it began in 2015. You can help us bring this opportunity to even more Hoosiers by sharing this information with families in your community – scroll down to find cut-and-paste ready messages for sharing.
Thanks for all you do!
- Early Learning Indiana
5th Grade Girls Basketball Game Schedule
*Schedules were handed out before Christmas Break.
*A physical must be on file to practice and play. NO EXCEPTIONS! Turn physicals in to Mrs. Hermanson (our school nurse).
*To be at every practice (consequences for missing could apply)
*Have hair up, athletic attire, basketball/tennis shoes
*Ready to learn and have fun
*Have a black pair of shorts for games
*Ride the bus to the games
* Girls are expected to be at every practice*
Mondays thru Thursdays- 3:00pm-5:00pm
3/1@ 5:00 @ North Liberty
3/8 @ 5:30 @ Knox
3/10 End of Season Party @ 12:00 @ CES
If you have any questions you may contact Andrea Berndt at email@example.com or 574-835-2295
Weather Alerts and Notifications/ Notifying the Office when your Child is Sick
- Please make sure that your child leaves the house appropriately dressed for the weather. We still go outside for recess even when it is pretty chilly outside.
- Do not drop your children off at the front door prior to 7:30. The doors do not get unlocked until the assistant gets there at 7:30.
- If the weather looks like it may be too treacherous for school, please check WNDU, WSBT, or FOX22 for closings or school delays. WROI and WXVI will also be informed of closings and delays. You may also check Culver Elementary's Facebook Page. www.facebook.com/culver.elementary.school (go to the link on this page and "like" our page).
- If your child is absent please call Yvonne Shepherd at 574-842-3389 or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Also remember if your child has a fever, they have to be 24 hours fever free before they come back to school. You never know when that fever may spike back up!
Culver Communtity Schools Corporation Mission Statement
Culver Community Schools Corporation Vision Statement
Culver Community Schools Corporation Belief Statements
- We believe students, with support from community, family, and educators, will rise to the level of expectations.
- We believe a well-rounded education at CCSC will foster emotional and intellectual development along with respectful, pro-active communication, in a positive, nurturing, learning environment.
- We believe that every student at CCSC is a potential leader given proper mentoring.
- We believe the definition of success is unique to every student.