Columbus City Schools eLearning K-12 Monthly Bulletin
It's NOT about DOING Technology. Its about finding and using essential TOOLS that SUPPORT teaching and LEARNING.
- Meet the eLearning Team
- Difference between eLearning Committee and Help Desk
- Meet the New K-12 Instructional Technology Coordinator
- Upcoming Professional Development
- What is Clever?
- CCS Google Account
- Transforming Lessons Through the SAMR Cycle
- Resource Spotlight: 15 Free Google Drawings Graphic Organizers
Meet the eLearning Team
The mission of the eLearning Committee is to create quality, engaging online learning for all stakeholders of the Columbus City Schools community, using the latest industry tools, current resources, human capital, and in-house expertise to build a sustainable network of learning.
This year, the eLearning Committee will be distributing a digital monthly newsletter titled Tech Bytes. Tech Bytes will keep staff members informed of any district technology news, technology integration best practices and frameworks, and professional development opportunities. In addition, visit the eLearning website http://www.ccsoh.us/eLearning.aspx for instructional technology updates.
The eLearning Committee Members:
Paul Brown, Co-Chair
Karen Fiedler, Co-Chair
How can the eLearning Committee Help?
Meet the K-12 Instructional Technology Coordinator - Lynda Ray
This is my 18th school year in Columbus City Schools, and I am extremely excited to be in a new role as Instructional Technology Coordinator, K-12. In the weeks and months ahead, I hope to be a valuable resource by providing teachers with the tools to develop successful technology integration into your classrooms. Tech Bytes will keep you connected and informed about what’s going on in the district with instructional technology.The best way to contact me is by email, at LRay3640@columbus.k12.oh.us if you need Tech Integration help.
Here are some options:
- One-on-one training and planning - I can offer individualized training for any of the Google Apps and help you redesign any of teaching units using technology.
- Staff Meetings/Grade Level Meetings- I can offer professional development on the Google Apps and Tech Integration models.
- Student Training - I will come into your classroom and train your students on how to use the Google Apps Drive, Docs, Slides, and Classroom. Students will earn digital badges at the completion of the training.
- After school PD- Your building can host a Google training session if at least 10 staff members sign-up to attend.
- G Suite Learning Center - Get the most out of G Suite with guides, tips, examples, and training resources provided by Google. You can access the site here.
Upcoming Professional Development
- Introduction to Google Classroom – Grades 6-12 – September 28, 2017
- Introduction to Google Classroom – Grades K-5 – October 18, 2017
- “SAMRizing” Your Curriculum–Grades K-5 - November 1, 2017
- Intro to Google Drive, Docs, and Slides–Grades 6-12– November 29, 2017
- Intro to Google Drive, Docs, and Slides – Grades K-5 – December 14, 2017
- Introduction to Google Sites – Grades K-12 – January 18, 2018
Click here for the flyer with locations and times of the sessions.
What is Clever?
Clever is in its early stages of implementation. Some software applications are available and others are in the process of being added. In addition, all schools will not have access to the same apps in Clever. Paid subscription Applications availability will vary by school based on whether your building purchased the software. However, free applications can be added to your school Clever based on request. Click here for the list of software applications available on Clever. *Note- Aleks, McGraw Hill ConnectEd, Building Blocks, and all Google Apps are NOT available on Clever.
Please email the E-Learning Committee (email@example.com) to inquire about an application being added to your school Clever platform. Below are video instructions and a one-page summary on how to log in to CCS Clever.
CCS Google Accounts
Every student and teacher has a district created Google Apps account. To access your account go to https://drive.google.com
- Log in with your CCS username (make sure you include @columbus.k12.oh.us).
- Use the same password that you use to access the computers and your e-mail.
- Your computer, e-mail, and Google Apps passwords will always be the same. When one changes they all change.
Google Apps will help you collaborate with your students and fellow teachers. Google Apps provides an alternative to common Microsoft Office Tools like Word, PowerPoint, and Excel that is compatible with any device and computer.
Google Apps allows students to work simultaneously with one another on documents and see each other’s work in real time. All work is saved to the CCS Google Apps cloud, so damage to hardware, software, or lost disks and flash drives will no longer result in the loss of your important files! This tool provides a School to Home connection.
Transforming Lessons Through the SAMR Cycle
This school year the eLearning Committee has adopted the SAMR model as one of the districts framework for technology integration. We will be providing learning opportunities and assisting teachers with the process of integrating technology into their classroom and using it in powerful ways.
SAMR is a model designed to help educators infuse technology into teaching and learning. Developed by Dr. Ruben Puentedura, the model supports and enables teachers to design, develop, and infuse digital learning experiences that utilize technology. The goal is to transform learning experiences so they result in higher levels of achievement for students.
The video below is a brief introduction to the SAMR model. Visit the eLearning CCS website for more information on technology integration. http://www.ccsoh.us/eLearning.aspx
Resource Spotlight: 15 FREE Google Drawings Graphic Organizers and How to Make Your Own
Drawings can be the virtual page where students can gather and process their ideas. Matt Miller, author of Ditch that Textbook created 15 of them that can be copied, saved, changed, tweaked or completely redone to fit your needs and your students’ needs. You can access the Graphic Organizers here.