Cholera

By: Jordan King

Overview

  • It affects the transportation of water in the small intestine
  • It affects the body by causing you to have severe hydration and diarrhea

History of Cholera and Types of Cholera

  • Researchers have estimated that every year there are 1.4 to 4.3 million cases and 142,000 deaths due to Cholera
  • The first case of Cholera was in 1991 in South America, starting in Peru
  • There are two types of Cholera: Classic Cholera and Cholera sicca
  • Cholera sicca is where the fluid is retained in the digestive system
  • Cholera does not affect a certain age or ethnic group, it affects anyone that comes in contact with contaminated water

Causes

  • Cholera is an acute diarrhoeal disease that can kill within hours if not treated
  • It is caused by drinking or eating contaminated with the bacteria Vibrio cholerae
  • It is mostly caused by traveling international, human feces, poor hygiene and contaminated water

Signs and Symptons

  • 80% of the people who contract Cholera have no symptoms
  • Among the 20% that do show symptoms, 80% of them only have mild to moderate symptoms while the other 20% have diarrhea and severe hydration
Big image

Diagnosis and Treatment

  • The test that are run for this disease include testing stool for bacteria that includes Cholera
  • Treatment includes antibiotics including Doxycycline and azithromycin

Prevention

  • Prevention of Cholera includes staying clean and keeping good hygiene. Also not drinking contaminated water or food
Big image
Big image