Facts of America
History of The United States
Dates And Events
- Jamestown, the first permanent English settlement, was founded in 1607.The Declaration of Independence was signed on July 4, 1776.
- The Constitution of the United States was written in 1787.
- President Thomas Jefferson purchased the Louisiana Territory from France in 1803.
- The Civil War was fought from 1861-1865.
Places and Events
- The opening shots of the American Revolution were fired at Lexington and Concord, Massachusetts in April 1775.
- Independence Hall in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania is the site where the Declaration of
- Independence and the Constitution were written.
The Battle of Saratoga was the turning point of the American Revolution.
The British defeat at Yorktown, Virginia by George Washington’s troops signaled the end of the American Revolution.
The first shots of the Civil War were fired at Fort Sumter, in South Carolina.
The Battle of Gettysburg was the turning point in the Civil War for the North. Confederate troops were forced to retreat and never invaded the North again.
The capture of Vicksburg, Mississippi by the North in 1863 effectively split the Confederacy in two and gave control of the Mississippi River to the Union.
Appomattox Court House is the small town in Virginia where Robert E. Lee surrendered the Confederate Army to Ulysses S. Grant ending the Civil War.