XPRESSIONS OF AFRIKA
The leading supplier of African Arts and Crafts
Xpressions of Afrika is a Southern African boutique based in Lusaka. Our boutique was established in Jan - 2010 and has rapidly earned a reputation for showcasing some of Africa’s most talented and creative artists. We supply, create and design extraordinary and unique collections of arts and crafts of the finest quality, including handmade and fairly traded art and craft products, offered to you at the most competitive prices. We conveniently bring to you exotic, incomparable artefacts, jewellery and hand-carved items from all over the continent.
What matters to us:
· Our products are individually handcrafted and purchased directly from African artists and communities;
· Our exclusive high quality range of works offer a unique insight into the history and, art and culture of the African continent;
· We are a family run business, proud of our reputation for knowledgeable staff and excellent customer service;
· We are a socially and environmentally responsible organization;
· Xpressions of Afrika prides itself in contributing to, educating, and supporting the families and communities that produce our products.
· We have built long term relationships with our suppliers over many years. We stock products from countries as far north as Kenya and display works from Mali’ right down to the beautiful objects d’art from South Africa, Botswana, Zambia and beyond. Our suppliers source unusual and contemporary products and initiate brand new lines for you to appreciate and fall in love with!
· We stock a wide selection of African art, jewellery, sculptures, paintings, batiks, chiteneges and curios from around Africa. Whether you are looking for something unique to buy for that someone special or just looking to compliment your living area with an African ornament, we believe we have something that will grab and hold your attention!
· Fair trade is the golden thread that connects everything we do. We buy directly from our producers so our prices to you reflect a very short supply chain that also means we can pay higher fair trade prices to our producers.
Quick History Lesson!
The origins of African art lie deep in the mists of time. African rock art in the Sahara Desert in Niger holds beautiful 6000-year-old carvings, and sculptures from the Nok culture of Nigeria date from around 500 BCE. African art often depicts the abundance of natural life, with abstract interpretations of animals, plant life, or natural designs and shapes. The arts culture of the African continent constitutes one of the most diverse artistic legacies on the planet. Although many casual observers tend to generalize "traditional" African art, the continent is actually full of a multitude of peoples, societies, and civilizations, each with a unique visual culture.
We hope that our small boutique in the heart of Lusaka will allow locals and visitors alike the opportunity to grasp the immense beauty and character of the enchanting continent that is Africa!
We are sure you will find something of interest when you step into our boutique. If you require more information about an item or have any questions, please ask us and we will do our best to help. We look forward to welcoming you and we look forward to meeting you.