4-H Friday News Blast for 4.19.2019
Nebraska Extension Cass County
New Educator in Cass County
Good news! Lauren Stohlmann has been hired to be the new Cass County 4-H and Youth Educator. She will start in early June.
Lauren was born and raised on a farm, a couple miles west of Manley, Nebraska. She participated in Cass County 4-H in her elementary and middle school years.
Lauren obtained her Bachelor of Science degree in Agricultural and Environmental Sciences Communication from the University of Nebraska – Lincoln in May 2017. She will earn her Master of Science degree in Agricultural and Extension Education from the Ohio State University in May 2019. In previous positions, Lauren has been a graduate teaching assistant at Ohio State, a temporary staff member at a Purdue Extension county office, and a communication and marketing intern at the National Corn Growers Association in St. Louis.
In her free time, she enjoys spending time with her family, friends, and her blue heeler, Bandit, attending country music concerts, cooking with her sister, and cheering on the Huskers.
A few extra packets of Special Garden Seeds - Red Okra
YQCA face-to-face training here next Thursday
- Beef Cattle
- Dairy Cattle
- Market Rabbits
you need to receive training in YQCA (Youth for the Quality Care of Animals). You can do this training on-line at yqca.org or come to the Extension Office for a face-to-face training. The first face-to-face training is this coming Thursday, April 25th at the Cass County Extension Office.
Either way - you need to register and pay on-line at yqca.org
When training is completed, you need to bring your certificate into the Extension Office to be recorded.
Raise Your Hand
Our friends in the Northern Mariana Islands are working hard! But here in Nebraska, we know it’s not over until it’s over. Help us regain the lead and claim the top prize of $20,000 to help support 4-H disaster recovery here in our state.
100% of any winnings that Nebraska 4-H earns from this year’s Raise Your Hand campaign will be used to support 4-H flood and disaster recovery efforts here in our state! Winnings will be put towards the new 4-H’ers Helping 4-H’ers program which is designed to help 4-H’ers following a major disaster, such as flood, tornado, loss of home due to fire, or serious illness.
Go to https://4-h.org/raise-your-hand/ and enter your vote for 4-H! Thank you.
Flood Relief Volunteer Opportunity
Note from Jill Goedekin, Extension Educator, Northeast District 4-H Coordinator IANR:
Due to generous donations, we are able to extend our agriculture producer flood relief efforts. Here’s a great opportunity to volunteer and impact a region of agriculture producers affected by the flood.
When: May 1st 10:00 am
Where: Ag Park, Columbus (822 15th Street)
What: Creating kits of fencing materials on pallets. This includes counting and sorting posts, wire and other supplies on pallets to be secured for pick up.
Who: Volunteers (age 13 and older)
Qualifications: Required to sign waiver before volunteering. MUST be able to walk and stand for long periods of time and carry/lift up to 30 lbs.
Details: Must wear jeans and closed toe shoes/boots. Leather gloves provided. Lunch and snacks provided. Producers will be picking up materials on May 2nd and 3rd.
By registering on this survey, you are confirming your availability to volunteer on May 1st. Every individual wanting to volunteer must register separately. Deadline to register is Friday, April 26th. A confirmation email will be sent to those registered to volunteer a couple of days prior to the event, which will include the volunteer release form.
Please contact Jill Goedeken, with any questions: firstname.lastname@example.org 402563-4901
Disaster Recovery 4-H Volunteer Guide
Disaster recovery efforts are underway following the spring flooding in Nebraska this year. If your 4-H club has been invited to help with a cleanup or recovery project, please look through the following “4-H Volunteer Guide for Disaster Recovery” that aims to help you facilitate a successful event and minimize potential risks for you and your club members. Thank you for your service to our state, county, and communities! https://go.unl.edu/094x
If you club chooses to volunteer in some cleanup or recovery project, wear your 4-H t-shirts!
Here Are updates, new for 2019:
- Beef: Blocking Chutes (General rules #15, page 10)
- Goats: Costume Class (See goat divisions, page 15)
- Dog Show: all events moved to Tuesday only (no Saturday events)
- Update to photography classes, including special N150 class to celebrate Nebraska and UNL's 150th anniversaries.
- A special Bess Streeter Aldrich Award will be awarded for a heritage project
- Special N|150 Stepping Stone class (page 72)
- DIVISION 10 - LIVESTOCK STORES (pages 18 and 24) Enter these items in the Photography Division in the 4-H Building on Sunday, from 4:00 pm to 6:00 pm. The items will be displayed and judged with other static items, but count towards livestock projects for end-of-the-year point sheets. Open to any 4-Her exhibiting any type of large or small animal at the current year's Cass County Fair. Limit one entry per 4-Her per class:
- B-010-990 Selfie with Show Animals - Take a selfie with this year's show animal and write a story about what you learned from your animal project.
- B-010-992 - Show Animal Project Care Poster - 14" x 22" poster showing the story of how you care for your animal. Photos encouraged.
- B-010-CK Show Animal Selfie or Project - Clover Kid entry of "Selfie with Show Animal" or "Show Animal Project Care Poster."
Nebraska N|150 Stepping Stone Showcase
Nebraska N|150 Photography Class
4-H Curriculum Sale for 25% off at Shop 4-H - offer good for 10 more days!
Check out the Curriculum Catalog, and view the full Curriculum collection on Shop4-H.org to explore all available items
Check the calendars below ...
County 4-H Calendar
Livestock DNA envelopes - now available at the Extension Office
YQCA website open for livestock certification
April 25 .... YQCA Face-to-Face Training at Cass County
May 6 .... YQCA Face-to-Face Training at Otoe County
June 3 .... YQCA Face-to-Face Training at Cass County
June 6 .... YQCA Face-to-Face Training at Otoe County
June 15 .... New deadline for beef DNA for state fair
June 15 ... 4-H Day Camp for kids 6-11
July 1-2 ... Tractor Safety Training at Cass County Extension Office
Aug 7-10 .... Cass County Fair 2019
State 4-H Calendar:
Registrations for Summer 4-H Camp - website now open, early-bird deadline April 15th.
CWF 2020 ( Citizen's Washington Focus) - applications still be taken.
Apr 27 - Spring Rabbit Show in Lincoln
Apr 29 - Next Chapter Statewide Celebration (corrected date from UNL)
May 29 - Horse Judging Contest in Ericson, NE
June 5 - Northeast Nebraska Horse Show
June 5 - 4-H Plant Science Contests
June 29 - Rabbit Progress Show/Clinic in Burchard, NE
June 29 - Chase County Classic 4-H Horse Show in Imperial, NE
July 8-12 - NAYI
June of 2020 - Citizenship Washington Focus in Washington D.C.
Ag Information & Other Opportunities:
- Wellness in Tough Times ... webinar on Tuesday, April 23
- Ag Line Newsletter ... by Gary Lesoing, Nemaha County Extension Educator
- Connecting Entrepreneurial Communities Conference ... April 24-25 in Beatrice
- Recycling Event in Cass County ... April 27th
- Flood information ... updated daily
- Staying Connected During Tough Times ... Resources for Nebraska Farmers, Ranchers, and their Families
- Cornhusker Economics - Nebraska Farm Real Estate Values ... updated 3.13.19
- Recorded session from first Land Management Quarterly
- Beef Watch UNL ... archives
- Nebraska Tower on the Plains Rabbit Breeders Association Spring Show ... Lincoln, NE on April 20th.
- Nebraska Statewide Arboretum’s Spring Affair ... April 27, Lincoln
- Geoscience Field Trip for Nebraska High School Juniors and Seniors (it's FREE!) ... July 12-22, 2019
- Nebraska Extension Publications ... online Library
Nebraska Extension Cass County
Katie Kreuser, Extension Educator, Interim Unit Leader, email@example.com
Tracy Ensor, Extension Assistant, firstname.lastname@example.org
Sondra Buell, Office Manager, email@example.com
General Mailbox, firstname.lastname@example.org