We Are Together Tamanend!
March 10, 2014
TMS Competition Cheer Team is #1
Spread the Word to End the Word
The Tamanend Friends Group is supporting the national cause “Spread the Word to End the Word.” It is extremely important to end the use of the "R" word because it creates a negative environment for anyone who has mental/physical disabilities. The Tamanend Friends Group is behind much more than just this one campaign. We are continuously making an effort to construct a positive atmosphere for our disabled kids at Tamanend. Our goal is to have made a great impact on these kids and give them a place where everyone is their friend.
Bucks County World Language Proficiency Tournament
By Madame Thompson
On February 26th, our French and Spanish Teams travelled to Willam Tennett High School to compete in the 2014 Bucks County World Language Tournament. Each team of 6 worked collectively to answer questions about culture, grammar, and vocabulary. Both teams scored highly and earned ribbons for their exemplary work. We congratulate them all on their outstanding effort and achievement! French Team: Connor B., Gianna B., Julia C., Sam G., Caitlyn R., and Matt S.. Spanish Team: Michael K., Blair B., Brian B., Kelly S., Rachel C., and Mark M.
Thoroughly Modern Millie
Not Sold Out YET!
The Tamanend Players' Production of Thoroughly Modern Millie is right around the corner! Our cast and crew are working hard to bring you our best on March 14th and 15th. Pre-sales ended on March 1st. Tickets will be sold during lunches on Thursday and Friday of this week. Tickets can also be purchased at the door. Thank you for supporting our Tamanend Players!
DOing the Math (AND having fun!)
By Mrs. Higgins
Mrs. Higgins' and Mrs. Barlow's 7th grade Intro to Algebra classes were all "ramped" up for a hands-on "Line of best fit" project. Students stacked textbooks to build different size ramps for their Matchbox cars, and determined the relationship between the height of the ramp and the length that the car traveled. They made graphs both by hand and by using Excel, and made predictions about how many books would be needed for the cars to travel certain distances. Now that is "doing the math!"
This Month's Boomerang Asset from C B Cares
March's Boomerang Asset is #38 Self Esteem: Young person demonstrates a confidence that promotes positive behaviors and relationships. S/he is proud to be the person that they are, and they serve as a role model to others because of their healthy self-confidence.
Please take a moment to complete the online nomination form for a Tamanend student who demonstrates Self Esteem. Nominations are due March 21.
Tamanend Middle School PSSA Testing Dates:
- Math & Reading Tests - March 25-April 1
- Math & Reading Tests - March 25-April 1
- Writing Tests - April 8-10
- Science Tests - April 29-30
The best way to prepare for test days (and all school days) is for students to get a good night's sleep, eat a healthy breakfast, bring a bottle of water and a snack to school. Students should bring two #2 pencils and a calculator for the math tests. Students should not bring their phone or any other personal electronic devices to school on testing days.
Tamanend Middle School Parent Council
Thursday, March 20th, 9am
1492 Stuckert Road
Parent Council is an open meeting where all parents are welcome to attend to learn more about Tamanend Middle School.
Tamanend Freshman Dance Planning (not just for 9th grade parents)
By Mrs. Liz Coco
Planning is about to start for the Freshman Dance which is much more than a cafeteria with balloons and streamers! Tamanend's Freshman Dance is a wonderful, magical evening that tops off a day of celebration for the 9th grade class. We transform the school into a wonderland for them. But we need help to do that – planning, decorating, providing food, cleaning up. Any and all help is appreciated. Here are three great ways to learn more about this fabulous event:
Help Tamanend While You Shop or Recycle
If you use the following vendors, please think about supporting TMS while you shop and recycle:
- If you shop at Target and have a Target Red Card, you can register your card for Target's Take Charge of Education program so that Tamanend receives a percentage of your spending.
- Giant Food Store has an A+ School Rewards program through their clip-less coupon card. Note, each year you need to reselect Tamanend so that your shopping benefites TMS.
- Use this link to connect to Amazon to shop and Tamanend can earn as much as 15% of what you purchase!
- Clip and send in Box Tops to the attention of NJHS; or, shop at the Box Top Market Place where you will find vendors such as Best Buy, KMart, Justice and more.
- If you like to shop online, check out the eScrip Online Mall. When you sign up for an account, selecting Tamanend earns money for our school.
- When you recycle your paper using our Abitibi bin located at the back of our Main Parking Lot, you have not only helped the environment, you help TMS, too.
Got R.o A.R.?
Tiger Track Winner
Maria V. was nominated by Mrs. Szagola for her Responsibility.
Sona G. was nominated for her Respect, Achievement and Responsibility by Mr. Sterner.
Tiger Track Winner
Sofia J. was nominated for her Achievements by Mrs. Magliozzo.
Notes from Previous Tamanend Connections:
Click here for up-to-date calendar information about both the 2013-14 and the 2014-15 school years.
KAD T-shirts are on sale in the Guidance Office for $12.00, or two for $20.
- There is a Parent Portal app for your smartphone. Click here for more information.
- Click here to view previous Tamanend Connections from 2013-2014.
- For information about Tamanend's 2013-2014 Yearbook, click here.
- We frequently conduct safety drills here at Tamanend Middle School to ensure that our students are prepared for various types of emergencies. It is important that your student dresses appropriately for weather, including shoe choices.
- Because the Parent Portal allows parents/guardians to check student progress on a regular basis, we will no longer print and send home interim progress reports. We encourage all parents/guardians to log in and check the Parent Portal on a weekly basis. Parents have access to current grades, assignments, attendance, and more.
- Students may not arrive to school in the morning until 7:10 AM. That is when staff members are available to supervise students.
- Parent Volunteers Needed! Please sign up using our online form. Code word = tms.
- Click here to learn about CBSD efforts against bullying and for resources helpful to parents on this important subject and more.
- We need parents, students and staff for our Wellness Committee. If you are interested in helping with a fitness program after school, starting a vegetable garden in our courtyard, or have some other ideas to help our students and staff "go green" and stay fit, please contact Mrs. Mary McDonald, Mrs. Lauren Myrtetus and Ms. Brenda Scheffey about becoming involved in our Wellness Committee.
- To receive text alerts from CBSD, click here.