Westland Update for Week of Oct 2
A Note from the Desk of Ms. Serino, Westland principal
This Week- The Week of Oct 2
If you have pre-registered for the event, we will have a name tag pre-printed. Otherwise, please bring a photo ID to check in through our visitor system.
It will help if you have your child's schedule on your phone but we will have extra copies. Parents/caregivers will not be able to visit STAR classes from 9:53-10:21 so gather for coffee/conversation in the cafeteria, the courtyard or the lobby if you would like to stay through that time. We cannot wait to see you.
STAR Lesson on Inclusivity- Tuesday's STAR lesson will be focused on inclusivity. Check it out.
National Walk and Roll to School Day on Wednesday- We encourage students, families, and staff to walk and/or bike to school to commemorate this very healthy and safe alternative traveling to school. More information is available at the following website: https://www.walkbiketoschool.org
First Home Athletic Events- Cross Country and Girls Softball- On Thursday, October 5 our cross country team and girls softball team hosts Pyle after school. All Westland parents and students are welcome to cheer on our athletes. (Student fans can certainly ride the activity buses home.) However, no Westland student fans can travel to Pyle to support our boys softball team unless accompanied by their parents.
Looking Ahead- The Week of Oct 9
8th Grade Class Social/Cupcake (Decorating) Wars- On Tuesday, October 10th, eighth graders are invited to join our cupcake decorating competition after school. Eighth graders can hang out with friends, show off their decorating skills, and enjoy sweet treats. Students may ride the activity buses home at 4:35. Be sure to RSVP and sign up to help or donate items.
PTA (Parent Teacher Association) Meeting- On the evening of Tuesday, October 10th, join our PTA president and principal for a conversation about supporting students at school and at home. This will take a hybrid format on zoom and in person. School-aged children are always welcome to join with a book or device in the back of the media center.
Boys Softball Home Game- On Thursday, October 12th, our boys softball team hosts Silver Creek. All Westland parents, players' family members and Westland students are welcome to come. If students are interested in cheering on cross country runners or girls softball players at Silver Creek, they must be accompanied by their parent.
Westland Dance Party- All Westland students are invited to our fall dance party on Friday, October 13 from 6:30-8:30 PM. Tickets will be $8.00. They will be sold online and during lunches on Oct 12 and 13, Ticket limit: 300.
THE RAINY WEATHER DIDN'T STOP US!
INTRO TO COUNSELING LESSONS
WESTLAND PARTNERS WITH AU!
MENTALHEALTH AND WELLNESS APP
PARENTS, HELP YOUR KIDS UNDERSTAND THE ACTIVITY BUS ROUTES
HEY 8th GRADERS!
STUDENT SERVICE LEARNING (SSL) OPPORTUNITIES
YOUTH CRUISER SMARTRIP CARDS
CALENDAR- NEW EVENTS ADDED IN BOLD
- Hispanic Heritage Month continues through 10/15
- M, 10/2- Open House for Current Westland Parents- Visit classes any time between 8:15 AM-2:40 PM
- Th, 10/5- Cross Country and Girls Softball, Home v. Pyle (Boys play away)
- Tu, 10/10- 8th Grade Cupcake (Decorating) Wars After School
- Tu, 10/10- evening Parent Teacher Association (PTA) mtg with Principal Serino, hybrid
- Th, 10/12- Boys Softball Game Home vs. Silver Creek (Cross Country and Girls softball away)
- F, 10/13- Fall Dance Party, 6:30-8:30 PM
- W, 10/18- Boys Softball Game Home vs. Tilden (Cross Country and Girls softball away)
- Th, 10/26- Girls Softball Game and Cross Country Meet Home vs. North Bethesda (Boys play away)
- Tu, 10/31- Halloween- costumes encouraged!
- Tu, 10/31- Final Day of Marking Period 1
- American Indian Heritage Month
- W, 11/1- No School for Students
- Th, 11/2- First Day of Marking Period 2
- Th, 11/2- Prospective Parent/Student Visit for Families of Immersion Students
- Th, 11/2- Girls Softball and Cross Country host Cabin John at Home @ 3:15
- Th, 11/9- Homeroom for report card distribution
- Th, 11/9- 8th Grade Social (Staff v. Student Kickball)
- Th, 11/16- Prospective Parent/Student Visit
- M, 11/20- Early release day- students dismissed at 12:30 PM
- Tu, 11/21- Early release day- students dismissed at 12:30 PM
- W, 11/22-F 11/24- No School- Thanksgiving Week
- Tu, 11/28- Half of 7th Grade Travels to Finance Park
- W, 11/29- Half of 7th Grade Travels to Finance Park