Weekly Notes for Staff November 12-22, 2015
Teaching and Learning the Falcon Way
Hurst Hills Vision, Mission, and Core Values
Vision: We’re the ones empowering students to achieve excellence!
Mission: As a Hurst Hills Falcon, I will soar to excellence by showing respect and responsibility, and challenging myself to reach my goals.
1. Do what is right
2. Perform with excellence
3. Respect others
November 12: Staff Meeting
November 13: End of Second Six Weeks/Half Day Noon Dismissal
Staff will be at Harrison Lane in the afternoon for training from 1:30-3:30.
November 14: PTA Annual Carnival 11-4
November 16-December 3: HEB Christmas Providers Food Drive
November 17: 3-6 Math CBA
Fourth Grade Austin Trip Parent Informational Meeting after school
November 19: Report Cards and College Colors
Thanksgiving Luncheon: Alternate Schedule will be provided.
Positive Proof Kids ID day
Staff Meeting-Book Study Chapter 3
November 20: Falcon Award Pic-Nic
PK/K Thanksgiving Feast at 1:30
Pull For Hope Money Due
November 25-27: Thanksgiving Holiday (School is in session Mon and Tue!)
November 30-December 4: Book Fair
December 1: Writing DBA Grade 4
December 7-17 Holiday Shop
December 8: Reading CBA Grade 5
December 10: Picture Make Up Day
The canned food drive starts Monday November 16th! You can bring 5 cans to wear jeans for the last two weeks of November. Because of the Pull for Hope district event, these jeans days may not carry over into December.
Assistant Principal Updates
Revised DBA Passing Standards- DBA Passing Standards have been revised to reflect the Progression Model. They can be found in 15-16 assessment. CBA Passing Standards have not been changed.
ELPS Fall Awareness Training due December 7- This training is required of any teacher who could potentially have an ELL student in their classroom for the 15-16 school year.
· Individually, teachers watch the training video: HEB Curriculumà TrainingàELPS Fall 2015 Awareness Training (Enrollment key=heb123)
· Complete the quiz (with a grade of 100) and print the certificate
· Sign the Eduphoria Sign Sheet & Turn in your certificate to the GREEN folder in Mrs. Becker’s box by December 7
Pull For Hope Jeans Pass
Field Trips and Volunteers
Any volunteers or parents joining you on a Field Trip must complete a VIPS online background check PRIOR to the Field Trip. The background check can take up to 72 hours to process and must be updated once per year. This can be completed at www.hebisd.edu/vips.
Please send Marie a list of volunteers 3 days before the field trip so she can ensure all background checks are complete and up to date. Any volunteer without an up to date background check will not be able to participate in the field trip as a volunteer.
We are in need of volunteers for upper grades...so if you have not signed up (even for just one or two slots this year) please be a fabulous falcon, and help us out.:)
ARD Meeting Preparations
- Team Coordinators will receive the ARD Meeting invitation. Please discuss with your team which team member will represent your team at the meeting.
- Prepare and discuss proposed Accommodations Worksheets in advance, as a team. Submit only 1 worksheet to the special education teacher as a team. Initials for subject areas may be written to the side of the accommodations if accommodations are differentiated by subject area, but for the most part the proposed accommodations will be similar for all subject areas.
- Special education and general education teams should review/discuss PLAAFPS, proposed accommodations, and proposed testing prior to the ARD meeting to ensure that IEP recommendations are aligned before they are shared with the parent.
Walking the Walls of a Classroom
Posting your learning objectives is a district requirement. These objectives may not change every day, but should always align to what Student Expectation (SE) is the main focus of your lesson. This sets a clear purpose for learning so students know what they can do by the end of the lesson.
You Matter forms are in the teacher workroom. Recognize your peers on the wall in the lounge!
I know that you all observe staff members going above and beyond on a daily basis to support students, fellow staff members, and the overall success of Hurst Hills. Please send in Kudos as you see them so that staff can be recognized for the things they do from day to day that make a difference. I would also love to share personal celebrations! Email your recognitions to Beth by Friday to be added to the weekly notes! If Beth uses your submission or you are the subject of a celebration, stop by the office for a special treat!