Segregation & The Jim Crow Laws!!
My Five important facts?
- -In the late 1800's, Southern states passed laws that denied basic rights to African Americans.
- -Slavery ended after the Civil War (1861–65). Many southern states then passed laws known as Black Codes.
- -Many whites believed they were superior to blacks. They wanted laws to keep blacks apart.
- -Blackpeople were treated without respect and they did not like that so they made a voting law which lets black people vote.
- -Ten years later, the Civil Rights Act of 1964 became law. It barred discrimination based on race, color, national origin, religious beliefs, or sex.
MY Key person?
The people who i Picked was to two because they are realted to this theme and they are Rosa Parks and Martin Luther King Jr i picked this two people because one of them Martin Luther King Jr fought for freedom for the black people and Rosa Parks she said she would not move that we should all be equal and what I like is that Martin gave a famous speech. this was one my faorite quote from Martin Luther King Jr
"I am happy to join with you today in what will go down in history as the greatest demonstration for freedom in the history of our nation"
My Three imporatant events!
-In the late 1800', Southern states passed laws that denied basic rights to African Americans,Jim Crow laws segregated blacks from white society
-The turning point came in 1954. In Brown v. Board of Education of topkea Kansas, the Supreme Court reversed its position. The court ruled that segregation was illegal in public schools.
-Ten years later 1964 the Civil Rights Act of 1964 became law. It stoped discrimination based on race, color, national origin, religious beliefs, or sex