Energy Harnessed From Mother Earth
What is Geothermal Energy?
Geothermal energy is energy harnessed from the heat of the Earth. It is a renewable way to get energy because the Earth's heat will always be accesible. It is a clean way to get energy because it doesn't burn fuel. It can let out harmful gases like hydrogen sulfide, but other than that, it is a very clean energy source. Water can be heated by going into the Earth, and houses can also be heated during the winter. It works like this:Pipes called heat exchangers go underground near a building. There is also a heat pump on the building.During the summer, the heat pump takes heat from the house and gives it to the heat exchanger. During the winter, the heat exchanger gets heat from the ground and gives it to the heat pump to pump into the building or home. The heat that was taken from the house during summertime is also sometimes used to heat water during cold times in the fall.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Geothermal Energy
- An advantage is, of course, the fact that geothermal energy is renewable, and it will never go away.
- Another anvantage is that it doesn't pollute the environment, and it also does not produce greenhouse gases
- The power stations don't take up much room, so they do not affect the enviroment and the habitats around them very much at all
- The pumps do not need very regular cleaning
- The pumps are practically free; you just use some of the energy already being produced to power it
- A disadvantage is that geothermal power plants must be put in certain places that have hot rocks to get more energy.You can not just place a power plant anywhere for it to work as well.
- Harmful gases and minerals, like hydrogen sulfite, may come up from the ground and hurt people or the environment. It may also be hard to dispose of safely.
- Another huge disadvantage is that pumps can cause earthquakes.
- Big plants may need experienced and skilled people as employees
Geothermal Energy at School, in the Community, and in Houses.
A school called Lime Springs Elementary uses geothermal energy to heat and cool its offices and classrooms, and they save about 3,500 dollars per year. Another school called Webster City Middle School uses geothermal energy to heat and cool its water, and it saves about 7,000 dollars a year.
In the community, geothermal energy can be used to heat structures such as buildings, parking lots, and sidewalks. Low-temperature geothermal energy is used to make engineering ,comforting, healing, and cooking.
At home, geothermal energy gives home owners big time savings because it does not cost as much as other ways of heating. It heats and cools water and it heats the home very well.