Knights' Monthly News
March 2022 Edition
Our Guiding Principles
Our Mission:At NMS, we exist to ensure Every Child learns and makes impactful choices that igKNIGHT a purposeful future.
By 2024, NMS will be a Model PLC School.
The educators at NMS believe...
Every Child will have their ARMOR ready!
Every Child will learn from collaborative educators!
Every Child will learn at high levels!
Every Child will receive differentiated academic and behavioral support!
Every Child will develop their social and emotional skills!
Every Child will be celebrated for academic and behavioral mastery AND progress!
"Parental Support Needed"
Dear Parents and Guardians,
As we move into the last few months of school, the need for parental support is even more important. For the next few months, our students will be preparing for and engaging in a lot of assessments from Practice STAAR (PSTAAR), MAP, Running Records, and STAAR. Unfortunately, test anxiety is real and many students can view these assessments as stressful and discouraging.
Given this, I would like to share the upcoming testing dates with you so you can assist us with preparing your child ahead of time. You can require them to stay for tutorials, remind them to use their strategies, let them know that they can and will do well, and let them know that these feelings are normal.
PSTAAR: March 7th through March 10th
MAP: April 19th through April 22nd
Running Records: April 19th through May 20th
STAAR: May 3rd (Algebra EOC); May 5th (Science); May 6th (Social Studies); May 11th (Reading); & May 12th (Math)
As we go through these months, we will continue to keep you abreast of what's coming up. Please do not hesitate to let us know how we can better support you or your child. We are here for you!
Your igKNIGHTed Principal,
Dr. HP Hyder, III
Campus Improvement Team (CIT)
We are looking for 4 parents to serve on our Campus Improvement Team (CIT) for the 2022-2023 and 2023-2024 school years. Here are a few key responsibilities of the CIT:
- Advises the principal on campus improvement efforts.
- Assists the principal in establishing measurable Campus Performance Objectives and devising the Campus Improvement Plan (CIP) for the following year.
- Provides input on campus budget allocation.
- Meets once a month for no more than an hour.
If you are interested, please contact Ms. Cedillo, my administrative assistant, at 713.251.4100. She will send the nomination form home with your child so you can complete.
Thank you in advance for being an active voice on our team!
2020-2021 Campus Reports
If you have questions about these reports or would like a hard copy, please contact the school.
Our ARMOR Models
Please help us make sure your child is dressed in his/her ARMOR every day before he/she leaves home. Nothing can stand in the way of a KNIGHT in his/her shining ARMOR.
March 2022 Happenings @ NMS
Week of February 28th
- Monday, February 28th - Boys' Track @ Stratford HS
- Tuesday, March 1st - Choir UIL @ Good Shepherd UMC
- Wednesday, March 2nd - Dr. Seuss's Birthday & Read Across America Day
- Thursday, March 3rd - Girls' Track @ Crump Stadium & Theatre 3 Auditions
- Friday, March 4th - Spring Fling Dance @ 4:30 pm-6 pm - NMS Cafeteria
Week of March 7th - PSTAAR Testing Week
- Monday, March 7th - PSTAAR Testing - Social Studies & District Track Meet @ Stratford HS
- Tuesday, March 8th - PSTAAR Testing - Reading
- Wednesday, March 9th - PSTAAR Testing - Math & District Track Meet @ Stratford HS
- Thursday, March 10th - PSTAAR Testing - Science
- Friday, March 11th - End of the 3rd 9 Weeks, PSTAAR Make-up Testing & Knights' Fun Day
Week of March 14th
- SPRING BREAK - NO SCHOOL
Week of March 21st
- Monday, March 21st - 4th 9 Weeks Begins
- Wednesday, March 23rd - Early Dismissal @ 12:30 pm AND Report Cards Go Home
- Saturday, March 26th - Saturday School @ 8 am-12:15 pm
Week of March 28th
- Monday, March 28th - STAAR Alternate 2 Window Opens AND Tentative Soccer Game
- Tuesday, March 29th - Tentative Track Meet #1 - Location TBD
- Doors open @ 7:45 am for car riders and walkers. Please do not drop off your child before this time as there is no adult supervision.
- All students are required to wear their ID badges every day.
- All students must be in uniform every day.
- All students must turn off and stow their cell phones in their backpacks during the school day.
- Breakfast is served from 7:45 am - 8:15 am.
- Dismissal begins @ 3:55 pm.
Every Day Items
Reporting COVID Positive Cases
We understand that you may have reservations about sharing this sensitive information. Please know that all information shared will remain confidential and will only be shared with individuals who have a need to know.
Knight Noteworthy Nuggets
KUDOS to our families who attended our Spring Curriculum Night! We hope that you enjoyed the sessions and appreciated receiving your child's test data! With testing around the corner, we know the data are beneficial! THANKS again for attending!
THANK YOU for attending our Beginning Band Concert! Our students are growing every day on their new instruments! Your support is GREATLY APPRECIATED!
A ROUND OF APPLAUSE goes to our families who make sure their children are at school every day! We APPRECIATE your commitment to the success of your child and our campus!
“At the end of the day, the most overwhelming key to a child's success is the positive involvement of parents."
– Jane D. Hull