The Mighty Knight Connection - March 2013 - Issue 5
Information & Upcoming Events
- Mar. 1 - Read Across America Day - Dr. Seuss Assembly (Students Only)
- Mar. 1 - 6th Grade Assessment Begins - Radcliff
- Mar. 1 - Family Fun & Fitness Night - 6:30-8:00PM (Reschedule Date)
- Mar. 1 - iRun-4-Life Registration - Last Day
- Mar. 5 - Middle School Orientation for 6th Grade Parents - 7:00PM
- Mar. 7 - Spirit Assembly, Magic of Physics
- Mar. 8 - 6th Grade Assessment Begins - Williams
- Mar. 10 - Daylight Savings (Spring Forward - Sunday)
- Mar. 12-15 - PSSA Writing Assessment - 5th Grade Only
- Mar. 15 - PTO Family Fun Night - Bingo
- Mar. 17 - St. Patrick's Day (Sunday)
- Mar. 18 - Reading Olympics - Mill Creek Elementary
- Mar. 18-22 - Scholastic's Spring Book Fair - Library
- Mar. 20 - PTO General Meeting - Featuring Mr. Jason Bucher, Holicong Principal
- Mar. 22 - Early Dismissal - 12:10PM (PM KDG attends in morning ONLY)
- Mar. 22 - Buckingham Day at Chuck-E-Cheese, Warrington - PTO
- Mar. 25 - Passover Begins (Sundown through 4/2)
- Mar. 26 - iRun-4-Life Training Begins - Registered Students Only
- Mar. 28 - NO SCHOOL for Students - Spring Portfolio Conferences
- Mar. 29 - NO SCHOOL - All Schools Closed on Good Friday
- Mar. 31 - Easter
Buckingham PSSA Schedule - IMPORTANT CALENDAR DATES
Grades 3-6 2013 PSSA Schedule
March 12-15 - 5th Grade PSSA Writing Assessment
April 8-15 - Grades 3-6 Reading & Math Assessments
April 22 & 23 - 4th Grade Science Assessment
Please review the school's Parent Letter by clicking here.
Please visit District Website to see PSSA Parent Information by clicking here.
5th & 6th Grade Chorus at Buckingham
This singing group is open to all interested 5th and 6th grade students. We will rehearse once a week before school, and present a Spring Concert at the end of the school year. No audition or prior experience is necessary.
Rehearsals will be held from 8:00 AM until 8:45 AM, at which time students will be excused directly to their homerooms. We will meet in the All-Purpose Room every Thursday, beginning April 4th and continuing through May. Permission slips were sent home in a recent Thursday Folder.
Studies show that students who participate in the performing arts consistently score higher on standardized tests and master math & science skills quicker than those who do not take the opportunity to perform. At Buckingham, we have always had a tradition of strong involvement in performing groups, and I hope that your son or daughter will choose to join this year’s Chorus.
Buckingham's February Spirit Assembly - Fitness is Fun!
On Friday February 15th, our Buckingham Elementary Mighty Knights celebrated their hard work and dedication to being citizens of good character by enjoying a wonderful assembly program entitled Fitness Is Fun! In this day and age, it is paramount that students learn about mutual respect - and the importance of exercise. Veteran assembly performer, Greg Kaler, combined those messages with fast-paced and unique creative sports. This was a terrific approach to getting fit and having fun doing it!
His message included:
- "Treat each other with respect - Do not Bully!"
- "Just say yes – to eating healthy"
- "Exercise - it does a body good!"
2013 6th Grade Assessment Begins!
The Central Bucks School District’s Sixth Grade Assessment is an authentic school-based experience for sixth grade students to demonstrate their competencies with time management, research skills, expository writing, technological resources, and live audience presentation. Buckingham 6th grades will be working on this assessment - 1-week for each classroom - beginning in late February. To learn more about each step of the assessment, please visit the District Informational Parent-Page. Good luck Buckingham 6th Grade students!
Read Across America - Happy Birthday, Dr. Seuss!
Family Fun & Fitness Night at Buckingham a BIG Success!
National School Breakfast Week
"Stop Cyberbullying" Workshop
The Central Bucks East Cluster is offering parents of children in any grade-level an opportunity to attend the Network of Victims Assistance (NOVA) presentation on Stopping Cyberbullying - a 60-minute parent program on the "prevention of cyberbullying".
This informational session will take place at 7:00PM on Thursday, March 7th, 2013 in the cafeteria of Cold Spring Elementary School.
For more information, please CLICK HERE.
Buckingham Elementary 2013 Science Fair
Buckingham General PTO Meeting - March 20 - 9:30AM
Scholastic Spring Book Fair
Join us Monday, March 18th through Friday, March 22nd for a fun-filled Science-Themed Book Fair!
FAIR HOURS: Monday – Thursday 8:30am – 4:00pm, Friday 8:30am - 1:00pm
Family Night: Wednesday 6:00pm – 8:00pm
Students will get two opportunities to visit the Book Fair with their homerooms during scheduled visiting hours. The first gives them the opportunity to browse the fair and create a book wish-list. At the second visit, students may buy their selections. We can accept: cash, checks or credit. Please make sure all checks are payable to: Buckingham Elementary PTO.
Buckingham Day at Chuck-E-Cheese
Please come support the Buckingham Elementary PTO at Buckingham's Day at Chuck-E-Cheese on Rt. 611 in Warrington - March 22nd from 1:00PM until close! Each child will receive a sticker in their Thursday Folder (March 20th) that can be traded in at the door for 10-free tokens. The event is not limited to Buckingham students - so feel free to bring friends from other schools to join in the fun! (However, the free token offer only applies to Buckingham students.) And remember, March 22nd is a half-day for students!
CB Cares Boomerang Nominations
March: #28 Integrity:
Young person acts on his/her convictions and stands up for his/her beliefs. Young person talks openly about what he/she believes in and values: they “talk the talk and walk the walk.”
Students/Parents/Teachers, please nominate a Buckingham student by clicking here! In your paragraph, include how your nominee exemplifies this month’s asset. Nominations are due to Mr. Rosica by Mar. 25th.
CB School Board Briefs
1. Heard the Jazz West performance before the school board meeting.
2. Heard the Academic Spotlight about the Naviance Report from Michael Curtis, Counselor at CB West, and Taryn Barrett, Counselor at CB South.
3. Heard the Superintendent’s Report and Curriculum, Finance, Human Resources, and MBIT Committee Reports.
4. Approved School Board Minutes.
5. Approved Treasurer’s Report.
6. Approved contract with Public Financial Management (PFM) for Financial Advisor Services as the District looks to restructure its debt.
7. Tabled School Board Policy 806 – Child Student Abuse so that proposed policy can be posted on-line and discussed at appropriate committee meetings.
8. Approved various personnel items, student trips, and staff workshops.
9. Received the Semi-Annual Rating of Elementary and Secondary Temporary Professional Employees.
Buckingham Elementary School
Buckingham, PA 18912-0158
Principal, Karl T. Funseth
Principal's Secretary, Janice Petrie