The DCMS Bat Signal: 3/12/19
Super me, super you, everyday heroes make dreams come true.
Good Morning Team DCMS Superheroes!
Good Tuesday to you all!
Thank you. Thank all of you for filling the gaps when we have had family emergencies, sudden and prolonged illnesses arise, eye injuries, and the many other reasons we have had absences with no substitute available. You have really proven to be a great family and team to one another. Special thanks go to Brigit Staigl, Mary Fields, Laurie Wilson, Susan Higdon, Tracy Slack, Annette Bolton, Colleen Cassity, Anna Hopkins, Laura Tice, Heather Luce, and Dave Rector. I totally apologize if I have inadvertently left someone off who has helped to cover classes, keep students safe, and allow instruction to continue.
The team who went to Nashville with me to the Teach Like a Champion Training had a super time. We are excited to begin sharing what we learned with you very soon. The techniques we studied will be impactful in developing the best behavior and culture at DCMS. We will be revising some of our future meeting topics to allow for some of this training to take place before the end of the school year. So right now, some meetings may be titled "Faculty Meeting" that were previously titled "PLC". These are not set in stone and may change. The goal will be to have much of this ready to go prior to the start of the 19-20 school year. With that in mind, please plan to have meetings after the employee breakfast but ending at lunchtime on May 28th. Have a wonderful week!
Lifting the Ban on Homework and Testing During ILearn, Cautiously
Remember the ILearn test is not timed, and student testing may fall over multiple days. For large homework assignments, my suggestion, though not a directive, would be that it becomes an in-class activity broken into parts. For small homework assignments that were simply not completed in class, that is a different story. If class time was given and time was not used well, proceed as normal.
Related Arts Teachers: Please Help
Members of the high school choir are coming over (mostly 9th Tribal and Encore Show Choirs) and will be here from approximately 8:40-12:40. Middle schoolers will sing for high schoolers and vice versa and give each other feedback.
Lorie is asking for choir students for both red and white days to come. Students will be singing in front of the cafeteria. If you would like to come to listen you are warmly invited to bring your class if you like! For reference, seniors in this group are Josie Bryant, Abigail McCarthy, Erica Brinkley, Cole Luellwitz, Leslie Pell, Savannah Reffett, Lizzie Smith, Gabbie Riggs.
Lorie Dilanchian will send out before Thursday so you will know who to send. Thank you in advance.
Keeping Our Students Safe: Stopping Vaping
**If you teach math or ELA in grades 3-8, reading these updates is NOT optional. You are expected to know the information contained in each update. Please make the time to ensure you have read and understood all of this information.**
If you missed a previous version, please catch up by accessing the following links:
- MS Spring Pictures with LifeTouch - Tuesday, 3/19
- Spring Break Begins - Saturday, March 23, - No school 3/23 - 3/31
- School Resumes - Monday, 4/1, - White Day
- School Board Meeting - Monday, April 8, at 6:30 PM at South Elementary
- MS 5th Grade Band Information Night - Tuesday, April 9, at 7 PM in the DCMS cafe
- 8th Grade Choir Concert @ DHS - Thursday, April 18, at 7 PM in DHS auditorium
- Administrative Assistants' Week - 4/22 - 4/26 - Be sure to shower Tisha, Sheila, Penny, and Eva with all forms of appreciation!
- ILearn Testing Window - 4/22 - 5/17
- NJHS Induction Ceremony - Tuesday, April 30, @ 6:30 PM in the gym
- Faculty Mtg - Tuesday, 3/12, in The Bat Cave @7:25 AM (Part II of Zones of Regulation)
- PLC - Wednesday, 3/13, in The Bat Cave @7:25 AM
- PLC - Wednesday, 3/20, in The Bat Cave @7:25 AM
- PLC - Wednesday, 4/3, in The Bat Cave @7:25 AM
- Faculty Mtg - Tuesday, 4/9, in The Bat Cave @7:25 AM (Schoology Training Part 1: bring headphones)
- PLC - Wednesday, 4/10, in The Bat Cave @7:25 AM
- Department Head Meeting - Tuesday, April 16, @ 3:30 PM in Marsha's office
- Faculty Mtg - Wednesday, 4/17, in The Bat Cave @7:25 AM (TLaC - 100% Compliance You Can See)
- Faculty Mtg - Tuesday, 4/23, in The Bat Cave @7:25 AM (Schoology Training Part 2: bring headphones)
- EOY Meeting for Instructional Assistants - Tuesday, 4/23, @ 3:30 in training room
- EOY Meeting for Sec/Treasurer/Nurses - Tuesday, 4/23, @ 4 PM in the training room
- Faculty Mtg - Wednesday, 4/24, in The Bat Cave @7:25 AM (TLaC - 100% Firm Calm Finesse )
Shorts, Longs, & Coaching Observations – Expect that we will be visiting frequently and maybe even multiple times in a week.
Attendance Must Be Taken EACH Period – Attendance must be taken each period. This is not optional and cannot continue to be forgotten. At this point, this is considered a minimum performance expectation.
- Cell Phone Violations Procedures are found here at the following link. Please familiarize yourself with the process. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1yo87qFzgaYYG4L5Tw6LKFdpQ7d_OHymU4UId1rL2qlI/edit?usp=sharing
- Friday School / Detention Supervisor Sign-Up – Please sign up to supervise a Friday School or Detention for the good of the school culture using the links below. Detentions will now be on Thursday AM and Thursday PM.
Detention - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Xz-cAK_wEAroQymY6EMxUSFs8afMLCGJ0g0UpOcnbHY/edit?usp=sharing
About Us: Mission & Collective Commitments
We are a collaborative group of educators committed to ensuring high student achievement.
We commit to…
- Focusing on student proficiency of Indiana College & Career Readiness standards, not just coverage of material.
- Working collaboratively to benefit all students with a focus on results.
- Join forces to learn by doing on a daily basis.
- Using frequent common assessments that inform and drive our instruction.
- Providing intervention and enrichment based upon the formative data.
- Furthering a culture that uses value-added language, encourages one another, and celebrates successes.