Eastside: The Greatest School
"No one ever made a difference by being like everyone else."
Week of January 14th
Eastside Mission & Vision
Working in partnership with the community, Eastside Elementary will provide all students:
A collaborative team of professionals who are committed to improve their practices, so that all students learn at high levels
A safe, positive, and inviting learning environment
An engaging and challenging curriculum focused on essential academics and life skills
Individualized and timely support that provides students with what they need to succeed
Coach Swinney and the Clemson Tigers are the Inspiration for this week (sorry Mrs. Henney)
- "We're not suppose to be here.
- We are just little Ole Clemson...
- A group of people that believe, are passionate, they sacrifice, they are commuted to a purpose, you better look out great things can happen
- if we can do it anybody can do it
- you can't write a Hollywood script like this
- if you have a belief and surround yourself with a bunch of great people that are passionate about winning
- I can't wait to celebrate"
Details for the Week
- PROWL - All groups roll out! EVERY kid will be working in PROWL for a PURPOSE!
- PROWL will be dismissed from cafeteria and PE building at 7:45. Mrs. Turner and Ms. Newkirk will remind kids to wait in the hall. Promptly, at 7:50 teachers will come out from their room to greet them and then get started on the work! I saw several teachers visiting in the hallways well after 7:50 this past week. This is not holding up to this Eastside commitment. "We commit to respecting all students and meeting their diverse needs: academic, social, and/or emotional. "
- Order of your PROWL group - HOWL, goal setting, and get to intervening and enriching. Remember this is what Panthers do to Thrive and Survive! We can't live without it. This is the beginning of our day!
- Dismissal for PROWL: We will dismiss all enrichment groups to their classes at 8:18. These students are to wait outside their classroom door until 8:20 when the intervention groups are dismissed.
- ACT Aspire Interim 2 READING for grades 3-5
- District Admin and Elementary Principals observes Mrs. Isom for GLR 8:30 - 10:40
- SIT meets Monday afternoon
- PTO Meeting at 3:45
- Lil' Dribblers perform at 6:00 PM at the Panther Pavilion. Make plans to come out and see them sometime. They have several performances coming up. We have a large number of dribblers and Coach Winn and her helpers are doing great things with them!
- ACT Aspire Interim 2 MATH for grades 3-5
- SIT meets Tuesday afternoon
- Tuesday Night - Stephanie Siete, Guest speaker, Drug Prevention - Fine Arts Bldg @ 6PM (This is for parents of all Greenbrier School District students)
- ACT Aspire Interim 2 SCIENCE for grades 3-5
- Team Meetings with grade level schedule (Due to Aspire testing, I could not make it work for 3-5 content levels to meet. We will make it work with spending half the time in team meeting to watch word study video with 3-5 and the other half devoted to working on your CFAs individually.)
- Report cards uploaded by the end of the school day (Let Mrs. Hogg know if you have questions.)
- ACT Aspire Interim 2 ENGLISH for grades 3-5
- Our attire for every Friday is jeans (with no holes) and panther shirts. If you are not dressed appropriately, you will be asked to go home and change.
- FRIDAY PROWL schedule: MAP PM for K-1, Relationship building for 2 -3. Normal PROWL for 4-5. (refer to doc I sent out for Fridays up to Feb 8th)
- Mrs. Dunlap reads The Snowy Day to kinder
- Recess meetings to view word study video, discuss data and individual students
Certified teachers - it is your responsibility to track your teaching license renewal dates. ADE (or central office) will not notify teachers of expiration dates. There have been several teachers in the district that have had their license to lapse or become pending.
Follow link to see an example of using the Jigsaw method. Remember the Jigsaw method will give you 4 years of growth in one year (according to Hattie with an effect size of 1.20)! https://system.na1.netsuite.com/core/media/media.nl?id=37151&c=713075&h=af6623bb152644627d6a&
PROWL preparation: Make sure you have reviewed your lesson in advance, so the kids are getting the best benefit from the PROWL time. I saw a few teachers walking across the hall to get clarity on a lesson or gather materials during PROWL time this week (leaving kids unattended). This should have been planned in advance. I don't want to require PROWL plans, but I will if this continues to be an issue. If you have questions about your PROWL lessons, let Mrs. Manning or myself know and we would love to help you.
For PROWL, make sure to always leave sub plans for your PROWL group. (Now that each kid is assigned a specific spot with certain materials, there is no where to send them.)
If you are a support staff member and you have a sub, please place on your sub plans about going down to the classrooms during intervention time to support the teachers. However, subs will NOT do interventions. The subs will not leave the classroom they are assisting. (For example, if I am a sub for Mrs. Satterwhite. I will see on Mrs. Satterwhite's plans to go help kinder and 5th grade at certain times. When I get to those classrooms, I will help in those rooms, but the classroom teacher will not send kids with me outside the classroom.)
We will have special visitors with us on February 1st from Greenwood School District. They want to tour our school and hear about the Solution Tree Pilot. They are in cohort 2 of the PLC Pilot and are curious about our growth. They will be with us from 8:30 - 10:00. For this reason, we will push back the Spirit Day to February 8th. This will be a celebration of January and February, since we will not have spirit day in January.
SIT commenting this week with any staff member working with 3rd through 5th. Make sure to place the date in the date column. Then place your name in front of your comment in the teacher comment column.
K-2nd grade need to update AMI assignments and let Mrs. Manning know when you have done so. 3rd-5th will upload to google classroom if we have an AMI day. I will always instruct when to send packets home for those students who do not have internet access.
Enter lunch counts by 9:00 am
Classroom doors should remain locked throughout the day.
Please make sure to have lesson plans out on your desk and reading lesson plans on your reading table each day. Your reading plans need to be a week's worth of complete plans that are ready on your first day of instruction. We understand that you may adjust things, but the plans must be thoroughly thought out for the week prior to the week starting.
4th Grade Goal Setting for ACT Aspire Interim 2 - Somebody is HUNGRY!!!
Mrs. Robertson wrote encouraging words to her students! This has received 63 shares on Facebook and almost 13,000 people reached!
Computer Science Word of the Month: BUG/DEBUGGING
Character Word of the Month: Engaged
Important Dates (Refer to our EES 2018- 2019 Year at a Glance Calendar in Google Drive)
Jan 21 - Mrs. Hellar on campus to work with literacy teachers (more info to come later)
Jan 21 - Report Cards go home for 2nd nine weeks
Jan 22 - Mrs. Bailey on campus to work with teams
Jan 29 - Dr. Howse on campus to work with math team
Jan 30 - Class Pictures
Jan 31 - EES Leadership Team meets 7:40 - 8:20 AM
Feb 1 - Greenwood District visits from 8:30 - 10:00
Feb 4 - Lil' Dribblers at 7:00 PM
Feb 8 - Spirit Day for Jan/Feb
Feb 12 - Progress Reports/Parent-Teacher Conferences - Dismiss at 1:30
Feb 18 - President's Day/No School