Fearless in Fifth
Indian Creek 5th Grade Newsletter: Week of February 8th
Arbor Creek Visit!
The BIG Event is Back!
- Mark your calendars for Saturday, March 18th, from 8 AM to 12 PM!
- The East Zone BIG Event promotes unity between campus and community as students come together for one day to express their gratitude through service for the support from the surrounding communities.
- The students will spend one day performing various service projects all across the Eastern portion of the district.
- Students will work in teams to complete projects across the Eastern portion of the district as a way to say "thank you!" to the community for their support of LISD students.
- The BIG Event is focused solely on saying "thanks." Therefore, projects for this event are not based on need or socioeconomic status - ANYONE can apply for a project to be completed by our students.
- If you and/or your child are interested in volunteering for this event, registration begins on Monday, February 1st. You will be able to register at the following link https://sites.google.com/a/staff.lisd.net/thebigevent/home.
- If you would like more information, please do not hesitate to email your child's teacher.
NEHS Members and The BIG Event
This year, for The BIG Event, NEHS members will work at the Indian Creek campus, collecting letters and various items to send to the troops. We are asking for all members of NEHS to volunteer to work this event with us as part of their community service. Please be on the lookout for more information as we get closer to the event. Thank you for your support!
Classroom Supply Needs
We are at a time of year where student supplies are starting to run low. We would greatly appreciate it (if you are able to) if you could send any of the below items to school with your child. Thank you so much for your continuing support!
- hand sanitizer
- cleaning wipes, such as clorox or generic brand.
"Help for Busy, Overwhelmed Parents"
If you are like many parents, you are facing significant challenges with your kids.
Unfortunately, not everyone has access to local classes. Ken and Natalie are typical:
By the time my husband I get home from work, deal with hassles over homework, drive the kids to activities, get a meal on the table, and coerce the kids into their beds, neither of us have the time or energy to drive three hours one way to a parenting class. Because of this we really, really need a parenting class!
Like scores of parents across the globe, this couple finds themselves between a hard place and a rock. They want more tools for their parenting toolboxes, but there's simply no time or access to a local class. That's why we are proud to announce our Love and Logic Parenting: On-Line course. Parents will learn the following…and much, much more:
How to end arguing and manipulation
When parents can remain calm and respond to arguing with simple phrases, such as "I love you too much to argue" or "What did I say?" their children begin to learn that arguing and manipulating does not pay.
How to avoid power struggles while helping their children learn to make good choices
Many of the power struggles parents find themselves pulled into start when they try to ensure that their kids don't make mistakes. Small mistakes and their associated consequences help kids develop the wisdom to avoid making larger ones later on.
Tools for neutralizing defiance
Parents can side-step power struggles by responding to statements like "you can't make me" by saying, "I'm going to have to do something about this…but not now. We’ll talk later." Delaying consequences gives parents time to calm down and consider effective consequences.
How to replace anger and frustration with empathy
When we provide empathy before consequences our kids are forced to think about their poor decisions rather than our anger. That's what really makes learning happen!
Parents now have access to our award-winning parenting class from the convenience of their computer, tablet or smartphone.
Indian Creek PTA!
What We Are Learning this Week:
- This week we will begin Topic 10: Expressions and Equations. This topic includes learning the order of operations (but not including exponents), how to write expressions, and how to solve equations.
- We will continue to focus on finding the main idea and details in various texts. We will create Tree Maps to organize our thinking as we read various Non Fiction Texts and then create summaries using our maps.
- We will also focus on procedural text and how to understand and use information from these types of text.
- HORNE READING HOMEWORK OVER THE WEEKEND: Students have a READING PASSAGE they need to read fill over the weekend. They also need to practice their spelling words through Spelling City for our test on Monday.
- We will focus on Earth, Moon and Sun and the Water Cycle.
- We will begin a unit on, "Tensions Growing Between the Colonists and Great Britain." The essential question we will use for our focus is, "What British actions angered the colonists in the 1700's?"
Tutoring! - all tutoring will be held this week
Please contact the appropriate teacher to let us know if your child is staying to attend tutoring.
Tutoring is after school and ends at 3:35pm. Please pick up your child at the front of the building promptly at 3:35.
Monday - Math (Mrs. Purvis & Mrs. Vitosh)
Tuesday - Reading (Mrs. Brown, Ms. Horne, & Mrs. Legg)
Wednesday - Any Subject (all teachers, Ms. Legg will have writing tutoring)
Resources to Use:
Math:Access the math textbooks online by first going to www.lisd.net.
Go to the "Resources" tab and click on "for Students."
Once there, click on "Digital Resources."
On the right side of the page is a button that says "Pearson Realize."
The log-in is the same as your student's district log-in.
The Social Studies Alive curriculum is entirely online. Here is how your student can access the information from home:
website: www.teachtci.com (and select 'student')
username: last name, 1st initial
password: ID # (numbers only)
Mrs. Brown - @MrsBrowngrade5
Mrs. Horne - @fearlessin5th
Ms. Legg - @leggn1
Mrs. Purvis - @fifthisfun
Mrs. Vitosh - @AmyVitosh
Fifth Grade Team - @5thicefalcons
Indian Creek - @IndianCreekES