Jones Center Health and Safety
Back to School Special Edition
Our Number One Priority
The number one priority at the Jones Center is the health and safety of our students and staff. We have worked countless hours to create a plan to safely welcome our students and staff back in the building. Please keep in mind that our plan could change as we receive more information and guidance from public health officials. We will notify you if we make changes. Thank you for your patience and flexibility as we navigate this school year together.
Health Guidelines for Students and Staff
- Sore throat
- Shortness of breath
- Nausea or vomiting
- Muscle pain
- Lack of appetite
- Loss of taste or smell
Exposure to COVID-19
Dr. Kalis - 816-359-6305; firstname.lastname@example.org
Melissa Coleman (nurse) - 816-359-4514; email@example.com
Guidelines for Returning to Work/School
Direct exposure (<6 feet distance for >15 minutes) with an individual who has tested positive for COVID-19:
Quarantine for 14 days—must complete the entire 14 days regardless of a negative test
Positive COVID test with symptoms—must meet all these conditions
- At least 10 days since symptoms 1st appeared
- At least 24 hours with no fever, without the use of fever-reducing medication
- Symptoms have improved
- At least 10 days since positive test results
- If begin to have symptoms, will need to follow conditions for Positive COVID test with symptoms and self-isolate from when symptoms began
Health Room and Quarantine Room
- frequent hand washing, use of hand sanitizer, gloves
- visitors will wash their hands upon entering and exiting the health room
- masks will be worn by our nurse, students, and staff
- proper PPE will be worn based on the individual's health needs
- cots, chairs, and other surfaces will be cleaned and disinfected between staff/student visits and throughout the day as needed
- custodial staff will clean and disinfect as part of their regular cleaning routine
- a designated quarantine room as been established for students/staff who may have Covid-19 symptoms
Basic Building Procedures
Velcro spots, direction arrows, and stop signs will be placed on the floor to remind students the direction they are to walk, sit, and for social distancing purposes.
For the safety of our students and staff, visitors will not be allowed in the building. Only school district employees are allowed to enter the Jones Center. Unfortunately this means no lunch or classroom visitors-even on the first day of school.
Breakfast and Lunch
Grab and Go Breakfast will be delivered to students in their classrooms. Students and staff will wash their hands and eat breakfast in the classroom.
In order to maintain social distancing, students will eat in their classroom. Food in the cafeteria will no longer be self-serve. Cafeteria staff will serve students as they come through the lunch line. All utensils and trays will be disposable. Students will wash their hands before lunch and will use hand sanitizer as they enter and exit the cafeteria. Students will eat lunch with their classroom cohort group.
A few more things...
- Your child's case manager will be reaching out very soon to schedule a time to meet, each child's team must work together to create a plan to support distance learning, in advance, should the need arise for another closure due to COVID-19.
- We are purchasing a water bottle for each student to keep and use while at school.
- NEW THIS YEAR. Your child will have the opportunity to take their computer to and from school everyday, the district is covering the cost of the optional insurance for the first year for every Jones Center family (I would encourage you to consider purchasing it moving forward). Please work with your child's teacher to decide what this will look like specifically for your son or daughter.
- Please talk with your child about the importance of wearing a mask and have your child practice wearing a mask for longer periods of time.
- Please be patient with us as we navigate through a very different school year.
- Please contact us if you have questions or if your child is struggling.
- If your student is directly exposed to someone with COVID-19, the school nurse will contact you. No news is good news!
- To keep students healthy, it is suggested that masks are washed daily. We will be able to provide a washable mask for every child, but please know we do not have an endless supply. Students will be expected to wear a while on the bus.
- For more detailed information. Please refer to the Health and Safety Precautions on our district website: HEALTH AND SAFETY PRECAUTIONS
- For more detailed information specific to Jones Center and our elementary schools please click on the file below.
Important Dates (Tentatively set)
- August 24th- Parents who have completed online verification will receive class assignments by email
- September 3rd-Parents will receive Parent Newsletter with Back to School videos from teachers - will come in the form of videos embedded in a newsletter like this one.
- September 8th- First day of school - ALL STUDENTS K-12 ENROLLED AT THE JONES CENTER WILL ATTEND 100% of the time unless you have opted to be fully online.