Ft. Hayes Arts and Academic HS - Fall 2018 Newsletter
A message from "Ms. Ima"
I am so excited how the 2018-19 school year has begun! There are so many positive changes and awesome things in the works. I hope everyone had a wonderful relaxing summer. My family and I spent a month in Japan visiting relatives, eating delicious foods and sightseeing. One of my favorite things to do in Japan is gathering new authentic materials for my students. I found so much this time! I get so excited sharing my love of Japan with everyone! This year I have starting using weekly station rotations that give the students equally divided practice on the 4 modes of communication-Speaking, Listening, Reading, Writing. I am enjoying meeting with and getting to know the students in small groups. I am already witnessing an increase in output!
This year we have Okinawan dancers coming for a visit in October! JASCO's Executive Director Dr. Benjamin Pachter is presenting in February about Idols-something I know the students will relish! June 24-July 1 we have a sightseeing tour scheduled with EXPLORICA! It's going to be a great year!!
BECOME A HOST FAMILY!! 3/9-26
5 REASONS YOU SHOULD HOST:
1. Make International Friends and Form a Global Family
2. Build Cross-Cultural Understanding
3. Expand Communication Skills
4. Have a Cultural Experience at Home
5. It’s Fun!
- Round-trip airfare
- 6 overnight stays (8 with extension) in hotels with private bathrooms
- Breakfast daily
- Dinner daily
- Full-time services of a professional Tour Director
- Guided sightseeing tours and city walks as per itinerary
- Visits to select attractions as per itinerary
- Tour Diary™
- Note: On arrival day only dinner is provided; on departure day, only breakfast is provided
- Note: Tour cost does not include airline-imposed baggage fees, or fees for any required passport or visa. Please visit our Fees FAQ page for a full list of items that may not be included in the cost of your tour.
A NEW WAY TO APPROACH OUR GOALS:
- 90% in the target language
- Grading that reflects what you CAN DO with the language NOT how many assignments you've completed!!
- Novice Low-Intermediate Mid
DEDICATION OF 40 CHERRY TREES
Aaron Brent, Kalon Miller and Jaimee Booth
Ft. Hayes students under the direction of Dr. Martha Tepper sang at the event.
"Growth Mindset"-We are moving away from a "Fixed MIndset" this year!!
Special Guest Daiichi Harata
Daiichi during visit to USA in September, 2018.
Ladies and gentlemen, it is with great excitement and anticipation that I inform you of a very special guest who will be attending our World Uchinanchu Day Celebration. Mr. Daiichi Hirata will be coming from Okinawa as part of the 2018 Okinawa Performing Arts Instructor Dispatch Program. This program has been established by the Okinawan government to help establish a World Uchinanchu Day within overseas communities.
Mr. Hirata is quite famous in Okinawa and known for his works that promote Okinawan culture to the outside world. He has many accolades under his belt including being a theater director, playwright, poet, and community activist. He will be attending with other preforming arts delegates to discuss and teach both our Uchinanchu community and friends of Okinawan culture who choose to attend. The belief is that a true Uchina Network does not mean a network comprised solely of Uchinanchu people, but of all people who enjoy the culture and arts of Okinawa and wish to be connected to Okinawa. It is the hope of this delegation that such people lead to the further strengthening of this network. In addition, Moromizato Eisa Instructors Kohei Sunagawa, Renta Irei, Yu Hanashiro will be visiting us in Ohio and instructing our Tomono Kai of Ohio Moromizato Eisa performers.
Here is a little information about Mr. Hirata
- He is the former Foundation Okinawa Prefecture Culture Promotion Association President.
- He was the original Okinawa Prefecture Culture and Tourism Sports Division Director.
- He’s had several major publications including;
“Poems South Island Poet (1994 / TomiTaki creation), ”
“Walk Poet (2000 / TomiTaki creation).”
“Kimutaka! ~ Stage comes carrying Genki (2008 / aspect, Inc.).”
“South Wind Blowin ‘in the Sea Breeze (2008 / Kankishuppan) ”
“Dialogue of the island (2009) South bran islands (2016) both Written by: border Inc.
- He’s had several major awards including;
Okinawa Island revitalization Award (1996 / Okinawa Prefecture)
42nd Takehiko Kurushima Cultural Award (2002 / Japan Youth Culture Center)
Ryukyu Shimpo Activity Award (2005 / Ryukyu Shimpo)
- As a member of the prefectural government he;
Held a Cabinet Office as an Okinawa Promotion Council Committee member.
Served as the Chairman of the Okinawa Promotion Council Committee / tourism and exchange
Served as a Committee member to the Okinawa Prefecture Culture and Arts Promotion Council
Served as a Committee Member to the Okinawa World Cultural Heritage Preservation Committee
Foundation Okinawa Prefectural University of Arts Foundation Councilor
- In local government he has been a committee member to;
Yomitan brand improvement Committee
Katsuren Castle planning committee for developing cultural tourist facilities in the area.
- In regards to cultural relations he’s been involved with;
Modern version Kumiodori “Oniwashi ~ Ryukyu OSho Tomoekokorozashi Den ~” General Director
Modern version Kumiodori “Demon Musashi ~ TADAMOTO Chumoto ~” Screenplay, director
World Acer Games General Producer (former tournament chairman)
Kuru Chinomori 100-year project in Yomitan Largest support people
How to Song project (Kazufumi Miyazawa supervision CD-BOX production representative.
Modern version Kumiodori Promotion Council General Counsel
Prefecture production three-wire popular brand Committee member
Kinki Nippon Tourist Okinawa cultural projects Planning and Promotion Advisor
- 11/9 Japanese National Honor Society Induction Ceremony
- 12/8 KOTO Workshop -Register with JASCO
- 12/19 2019 Year of the BOAR Nengajo Contest
- 3/2 20th Annual JASCO Japanese Speech Contest see Ms. Ima for info
- 3/10 Japanese National Exam
- 3/9-3/26 HOKKAIDO STUDENTS VISIT
- 6/24-7/1 TOKYO sightseeing tour through EXPLORICA