February 19, 2018
- Congratulations to Jacob Smith, 138 lbs 3rd Place at State. He won 50 matches this year, which is a school record.
- Kaitlyn Verner spoke at the board meeting with Shelly Parks. They presented on AP foundations and did an awesome job.
- These three are in an elite group. Congrats to National Merit Finalists, Caitlind, Noah, and Maddie! Outstanding!
- Great job Joanna, 2nd place at state in the 500 free with 5:06.65.
- Congratulations to the Learning Commons on a great Coffee House.
Howell of Fame
We have so many awesome people at FHN. Please consider consider nominating someone deserving for the 2018 Howell of Fame! The Howell of Fame Award recognizes the excellence of character, performance, and effort of those who serve FHSD as employees, volunteers, and patrons. Learn more or submit a nomination online here: http://ow.ly/Jn7r30iaSzf
Here is the latest social media posting from the FHSD Communications Department:
Technology and Proposition Learn Funds generated by the passage of #PropLearn would allow FHSD to increase student access to technology. It would also fund wireless network upgrades across the District and new multimedia devices for classrooms. Read more: http://bit.ly/2C1EW7P
PD Committee meeting on February 12th @2:30 in the Learning Commons. This is an information gathering meeting to discuss the where we are headed with PD for the rest of the 2017-2018 school year.
Guidance is finishing up meeting with all of our current students for individual advisement. Thank you to the guidance department for their hard work over the past couple of weeks. Katie Greer has met individually with all Department Chairs to discuss staffing for the 2018-2019 school year. Department Chairs will be working to develop schedules over the next couple of weeks. If you have any questions about staffing, please feel free to come and see Katie Greer or your Department Chair.
Have you gone to a Monday meeting yet? Don’t forget that Mr. Downs is available before school and after school every Monday in Comm 1 if you have any questions about what’s going on at FHN this week. This week it will happen on a Tuesday.
Please join us in the Learning Commons during lunches this Wednesday, 2/21 for 3rd Quarter Staff Chats. You bring your lunch, and we will provide the desserts! We will be sharing the data collected at the Climate Check-in that took place at the last Faculty Meeting and getting your feedback on what adjustments we can continue to make to our Climate Action Plan more impactful. We can also discuss anything else you'd like to bring up. We hope to see you there.
CLIMATE COMMITTEE MEETING:
Climate Committee will meet this Tuesday, February 27th in the Main Office at 2:30 p.m. We will be looking at the Student Climate Data and the information students shared with us at the Student Summit. The goal of this meeting is to come up with ways to share the information generated at the Student Summit with staff in an effective manner. Please come if you'd like to be involved.
This week is Snowcoming spirit week, and we look forward to seeing your great outfits.
Tuesday: Rockers vs. Rappers (got a band t-shirt?)
Wednesday: Lazy vs. Leg Day (think sweats or work out clothes)
Thursday: Country vs. Country Club (Western or preppy)
Friday: Class Colors Day (teachers typically wear jeans and an FHN shirt)
Assembly: The assembly will be on Friday. The schedule is as follows:
4th-7th: Regular Schedule
Chaperones: We also still need chaperones for the dance on Saturday. It's fun. You show up at 6:30, check kids in, and then walk around and make sure kids are safe and appropriate while you get hit with glow in the dark bubbles falling from the ceiling. We might also offer compensation for people who help.
Please e-mail me if you're able to chaperone.
Thanks so much!
Shelly and Jani
FHN currently has 83.5% of students attending 90% of the time. We appreciate your efforts to encourage better attendance, and as always we encourage you to visit www.attendanceworks.org for more information.
Recent Action Steps:
- Homebound meeting for a student with medical concerns preventing attendance.
- Multiple Union Applications for students struggling here at FHN.
- Referral to the Area Truancy Officer for a student who previously had a Diversionary Meeting.
- Worked with KOE to implement a new attendance requirement for the picnic.
Next Attendance Committee Meeting: TBD
The link below is to a brief article with a great visual resource to help students learn to own conversations around learning.
The next Homeroom Committee meeting will be Tuesday, February 20th at 2:30 in the main office conference room. We will be discussing best intervention practices and begin analyzing the student and staff surveys.
TESTING SCHEDULE UPDATE
The EOC window is as follows:
Bio, Gov't, Alg 2: 4/16-24
Eng 2, Alg 1: 4/30-5/8
The ACT will be on 4/24, with ACT accommodations going from 4/24-5/1
2017-2018 Staff Commitments to the Learning Environment
In order to improve the climate/environment at FHN, the staff commits to:
1. building positive relationships with students and staff members.
2. helping students to see the relationship between effort and success.
3. addressing any inappropriate behavior immediately to help set an expectation of appropriate hallway and classroom behavior.
4. giving clear and consistent expectations for device use and by enforcing them.
5. counting tardies consistently.