IPS Exam Study Guide
Scientific Method Notes
2. Gather information
3. Form Hypothesis
4. Perform lab
5. Analyze data
Chapter 1 Vocabulary
- Observation-information obtained by the senses-often by direct measurement.
- Inference-a conclusion based upon known observations
- Hypothesis-a proposed solution to a scientific problem
- Experimental Group-the group receiving the variable being tested
- Control Factors-the variables that are help constant. they are the same for both the control group and the experimental group.
- Indicator-a substance used to show the presence of another substance.
- Volume-the amount of space something occupies. True of solids, liquids, and gases.
- Volume Displacement Technique-quick and easy way to determine the volume of a solid or gas
- Mass-the amount of matter in a substance (True of solids, liquids, and gases)
- Meniscus-the curved portion of a liquid when in a container. Must read the bottom of the meniscus at eye level for proper measurement
- Control Group-the group that is the standard fore comparision in any experiment
1.1 Heating Baking Soda
Experimental Group- heated baking soda and tea
Control Factors- amount of baking soda; amount of tea; same type of tea; amount of stirring time
Baking Soda- Sodium Bicarbonate, releases Carbon Dioxide
1.2 Volume Notes
Standard unit of length- m (meter)
Volume of liquids- use a graduated cylinder to measure volume. mL (milliliters) or cm 3 (cubic centimeters)
1 mL- 1 cm 3