Welcome to Riverside Intermediate!
Welcome to the Riverside Intermediate School community! We welcome all incoming new students to what we feel might be the most beautiful school campus in all of HSE. In this message you will find a student council greeting and a virtual tour video.
As you enter the River and become a Golden Hawk please remember what RSI represents:
All of us practice the Riverside Way:
R - RESPECT - It is our duty to honor and accept all who enter the doors at RSI!
S - SERVICE - It is our goal to serve and support our community, state, nation and global community.
I - INTEGRITY - It is our quest to live a life of honesty and commitment to kindness in all we do.
I ask all of you to read, watch, and review the materials in this communication and know that the RSI Staff are thrilled to have you join us for the upcoming 2021-2022 school year!
A few important items to remember:
- 5th Grade Classrooms: ALL 5th grade classrooms are upstairs. Watch the virtual tour for best visual options.
- Lockers: Don't worry about lockers! Your homeroom teacher will help you with your locker combination and teach you how to operate them! All adults in the building, including me, will be happy to assist anyone who is frustrated with their locker. After a few weeks of school you will be a pro!
- Classes: Remember intermediate school is an extension of the elementary setting with a twist of transition to junior high. You will have two teachers, one STEM and one Humanities teacher. You will spend most of your learning day with the same two teachers and visit a related arts teacher daily (P.E., Art, and Music).
- Recess: Riverside has one of the coolest and most modern playgrounds in HSE! You will love the options for play and you will have recess daily following your lunch for around 15-20 minutes.
- Homework: At the intermediate level you will begin to have a more consistent diet of homework that will be an extension to your daily learning. This work will not impede your social life or after school events.
- Outdoor Learning: As noted in Mr. Farrell's video our outdoor learning options are amazing. You are free to visit our goats, chickens, experience the river, and so much more! We also have WIFI and outdoor seating for at least three classrooms.
- Innovation: Throughout your time at RSI you will be exposed and have options to delve deeply into robotics, coding, and much much more...find your passion and run with it at RSI.
Have a safe and exciting summer! We will see you either on July 23rd or 26th for self-guided tours.
Dana Kaminski, Ph.D.
Details for these events will be communicated later this summer!
July 26: Self-guided tours (12pm - 3pm)
July 28: Self-guided tours (3pm-6pm)
August 4th: First Day of School (9:15am - 4:00pm)
August 10th: Meet the Teacher (5th Grade 5:30pm - 6th Grade 6:30)
August 11th: Picture Day
Dr. Kaminski - Principal email@example.com
Mr. Farrell - Assistant Principal - firstname.lastname@example.org
Ms. Logue - 5th Grade Counselor - email@example.com
Mrs. Underwood - 6th Grade Counselor - firstname.lastname@example.org
Mrs. Bohannon - IT Specialist - email@example.com
RSI Transition Information
Schedules and Teacher Homeroom Assignments - will be available in Skyward for parents and students in Skyward typically on or the last week of July. At that time feel free to login to your Skyward Family Access account and view schedules.
iPad Rental Distribution and Required Online forms - Please complete online forms in Skyward when they become available to do so.
Supply Lists - Supply lists are located on the RSI website. Students are not required to have all of their supplies on the first day of school. They may bring a few items each day the first week. Lockers will be assigned by the homeroom teacher on the first day of school.
Student Fees - Student fees will not be assigned until nearly the end of August, fees are based on a student’s schedule/activities. You will receive an email with the invoice. Fees will not be due until the first week of October.
Bus Transportation - Bus information will be available in Skyward the last week of July.
6th Grade Immunizations - Please fax 317-594-4329 or email vaccination records to firstname.lastname@example.org. Requirements are one meningococcal (MCV4) vaccine and one Tdap (tetanus, diphtheria, and pertussis) booster received after the child’s 11th birthday.
Meet the Teacher Night (for parents) 2021-22 – August 10th
5th grade - 5:30pm - 6:30pm
6th grade - 6:30pm - 7:30pm
Picture Day – August 11
Riverside Info You Should Know
Our goal is to keep our parents/guardians informed of the events and policies at RSI. Please read the information below and call the school office with any questions. Thanks for being such a vital part of making Riverside Intermediate a special school.
Skyward allows parents to access students’ grades from teachers’ electronic grade books.
Skylert will be used as the primary communication tool between the HSE school district and students, parents, and staff for emergency situations (for example: school delays or closings). It will also be used for attendance and general information as well throughout the year to notify parents about important information, upcoming events, or milestones. Skylert is a tab in your current Family Access view. From there, you will be able to view your information and add any additional contact information for emergency messages.
iPads are required for all students in the 5th and 6th grade to expand our HSE21 curriculum. Families have the choice of purchasing an iPad on their own or they may choose to rent the iPad through the school. Please visit our HSE21 website at https://www.hseschools.org/academics/technology-classroom for more information.
The Riverside Review is our weekly newsletter that is sent out via Skylert. It is also posted on our website at https://rsi.hseschools.org/happenings/newsletters. It is full of important information and scheduled activities.
Our Calendar is on our website with the most up to date information. https://www.hsecalendars.org/public/genie/752/school/13/
School Attendance is extremely important. The school attendance line is 317-594-4328. Parents are requested to notify the school as soon as possible. See the student handbook for the detailed attendance policy.
The Tardy Bell rings at 9:15 am. If your student is going to be late to school or absent from school, please call our attendance line at 317-594-4328.
Change of Transportation/ Early Dismissal requires a note sent to school with your student. Be sure to include your student’s full name. Your student should give the note to their homeroom teacher first thing in the morning. This will advise the office of a change. The dismissal bell rings at 4:00 pm.
All Cell Phones are to be off and secured in student lockers during the school day. Their use during the school day is forbidden. Cell phones will be confiscated if visible during the school day. All confiscated cell phones must be picked up by a parent.
To be Excused from Participation in PE, students MUST have a doctor’s note stating why he/she cannot participate and for how long the student should be excused. A parental note may be used for one day only.
Safe Visitor Background Checks MUST be on file with the school before a parent is allowed to volunteer in the classroom, have lunch with a student, or go on a field trip. Background checks are valid for 3 years.
Address Changes must be reported to the main office and require proof of residency. Refer to the HSE website for acceptable documents.
Golden Hawk of the Month is the character education program at RSI. Students will be recognized for displaying any of HSE’s nine positive character traits throughout the year by earning a poster and a prize!
The Counselors at RSI loop with the students. Therefore, your student will have the same counselor for 5th and 6th grade. Individual counseling, group counseling, classroom guidance, and character education are all services provided by the counselors at RSI.
Lunch is $2.80. Breakfast is $1.25. Checks may be made payable to RSI. Please include student ID number on the check. You may also use your debit or credit card to pay for lunch online through eFunds.
Canvas is a tool for teachers to use to distribute important information, submit assignments, and more. Students use the same credentials for Canvas as they use to log into the computers at school.
Students Fees will be assessed one-time per school year. The fees will cover the cost of textbook rental, consumable and material fees. The fee is based on a student’s schedule/courses taken. Fees are assigned in the fall near the end of August with payment due in October. These fees are in addition to the rental fee for an iPad.
All HSE Schools student handbooks (K-12) are now online for easier access. The 5/6 handbook is available via this link: https://www.hseschools.org/about/policies-procedures
We encourage you to review it at your earliest convenience. Should you have any questions, please contact the RSI main office at 317-594-4320. Our staff is available to assist you. Have a great school year!
YMCA Before and After Care
6:00pm after school
Skyward allows parents to access grades, report cards, bus information, immunization records, lunch account/food service information, student fees, schedules, and the BACK TO SCHOOL FORMS 2021-2022. All students are required to have an iPad to expand our HSE21 curriculum. Families have the choice of purchasing an iPad on their own or they may choose to rent the iPad through the school. Please visit our HSE21 website for more information.
The following instructions are how to create and pair accounts in Canvas. Your HSE students will be using Canvas throughout virtual and in-person instructions. If you have a child or children that are new to the district, please use the following instructions to link your child's Canvas account to your parent account. Please note that if you have already created a Parent Canvas account and linked your child(ren)'s account(s), you will not need to do this.
You will need your child's school email address and ID#. This information can be found in Skyward. Please click here to access Skyward. If the link is not working, you can go to the HSE homepage and click on the Canvas tab located at the top right of the screen.
Once you are logged in, you will select your child's name from the drop down menu under Family Access at the top of the page. Next, you will click on the Student Info tab from the column on the left. Your child's school email can be found next to the word School in the middle of the screen (just to the right of their school picture) and their school ID # is located under their picture (their school ID # is labeled as Other ID).
- Please click here to access Canvas. If the link is not working, you can go to the HSE homepage and click on the Canvas tab located at the top right of the screen. You will click on the Students/Staff Portal rectangle to login with your child's information, using your child's full school email address as the username. Enter "hse" in front of their 6 digit other ID number for the password. You will now be logged in under their name.
- While on their Canvas page, click on Account and then Settings. Look to the right and click Pair with Observer. You will need to write down the code so you can use it to link your accounts.
- Click Account and Logout. You are now logged out of your child's account.
- If you have multiple students in the district, you will need to complete steps 1-3 for each of your children. You will need a pairing code for each student in an HSE school.
- Once you have a pairing code for each of your children, you will click here to access the home page of Canvas. If the link is not working, you can go to the HSE homepage and click on the Canvas tab located at the top right of the screen. You will click on the Parent Canvas Portal rectangle to create your profile. You will need your name, email, create a password, and one student pairing code. Click on Start Participating.
- Check your email now to finalize your Canvas sign-up.
- To add other children, go back to the HSE homepage, click Canvas tab, click Parent Portal, and login. Click on Account, click on Observing, and add your next child's pairing code.
HSE Report it!
As you know, Hamilton Southeastern Schools has benefitted over the years from a “Text-a-Tip” service to provide anonymous information to the district. We wanted to let you know that we use “HSE Report It!”, a school safety mobile reporting app that allows students, staff and community members to provide anonymous information about concerns for their own safety or the safety of others. HSE Report It! replaces Text-A-Tip product, which is going out of service.
We believe that HSE Report it!, which can be downloaded via Google Play or the Apple App Store, provides enhanced reporting capabilities. It’s anonymous and reports are made exclusively through the mobile app. Plus, unlike SMS text reports, HSE Report it! will have no length limitations or the need to remember a short code. Reporters can attach photos, screenshots, videos, documents and/or audio recordings to their concerns and they can engage in a two-way dialogue with a real person.
Reports are monitored by HSE building and district administration and the Fishers Police school resource officers (SROs).
The HSE Report It! app will be an important resource for our community to submit anonymous tips when they wish to report concerns for their safety and the safety of others. Please encourage your family to download the app and be aware that this resource is now available to use when needed.