Chapel of the Cross Faith & Family
Family Bible time for the week of May 31-June 6
Welcome to Chapel's Faith & Family!
A Philippian Jailer Believes
Do you ever sing a song when you're feeling anxious or afraid?
Paul and Silas were sharing the Good News about Jesus in a city called Philippi when some of the people got mad at them, dragged them to the rulers of the city, and lied about them to get them in trouble. Paul and Silas were beaten and thrown into prison. They were put in the inner cell with their hands and feet locked up. What do you think they did? They started praying and singing hymns to God! Then something miraculous happened . . .
Lord Jesus, open our eyes today to see how we, like Paul and Silas, can rejoice in You and proclaim the message of the Gospel. In Your name we pray. Amen.
Bible Lesson: A Philippian Jailer Believes
- Open your family Bible or a Children's Bible storybook and read this account together OR
- Read this account using an online Bible (Biblegateway.com) Acts 16:16-40 OR
- Listen to the Bible account being read using the video below.
Talk about it
- How did Paul and Silas end up in jail?
- What happened while they were in there?
- What did the jailer do?
- How do you think the jailer's life was different after he believed and was baptized? How is your life different because you believe in Jesus?
Paul and Silas healed a slave girl by making a demon come out of her. This made the girl's owners mad. They riled up the crowd, and got Paul and Silas beaten and thrown into prison.
Instead of being sad and feeling sorry for themselves, Paul and Silas prayed and sang songs to God. Suddenly, an earthquake made their chains fall off, and the prison doors flew open!
The jailer thought all the prisoners had escaped, but when Paul and Silas told him they were still all there, the jailer fell down before them and asked what he needed to do to be saved. Paul and Silas said, "Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved." Then they shared the Good News with the jailer and everyone in his house. The jailer and his whole family were baptized, and they were filled with joy because they had come to believe in Jesus.
Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved. Acts 16:31
Things To Do Together
The Lord's Prayer
Bible Lesson: Concordia Publishing House
Chapel of the Cross--Lutheran
Our Core Values:
- Empowered by the cross of Christ
- People working together
- Opening the Word to all people
- Showing the love of Jesus
- Warm and supportive environment