Demonstration Plan - Rich Task
Student Name @ Shoppers Drug Mart
Date(s): May 11 or May 21
Time of Demo: 1:30 p.m.
Description of Activity: Filling a Prescription
Filling a prescription requires a few essential skills: It requires computer use and communication skills to make sure a prescription is processed properly. This demonstration contains specific steps that ensure a prescription is processed correctly and efficiently. I will walk you through all of the stations that a prescription goes through, including the ones that I am not involved in.
I have chosen to show you how to fill a prescription because it is the main task that a pharmacy technician carries out as part of their daily routine. It is important that each step is followed exactly because an error can lead to serious complications for the person taking the prescription. In addition, there are over 140 prescriptions filled per day, so if prescriptions are not filled quickly and efficiently then it will make the business much slower and frustrate customers.
Details of Activity:
- Greet Customer
- Take the paper from the printer, and match it with the hard copy prescription.
- Look for the drugs according to classification system.
- Scan the label of the drug on the computer.
- Fold all the Healthwatch papers and stick the scanning labels on the receipt.
- Check the expiry day on the drug, and write it down on the prescription.
- Count how many pills using the pill counter OR how many grams of the drug is needed i.e. cream.
- Put the pills in a bottle, and label the bottle.
- Put the prescription, bottle, Healthwatch papers in the appropriate coloured basket (i.e. red page customer etc. ) for the pharmacist to check and verify.
- After the pharmacist has verified prescription and has consulted with the customer, then either file prescription or process customer transaction
- Cash out customer.
Basket (Red, Blue, White)
Special Instructions for Co-op Teacher: None
Approved: Date, Time and Activity