2017 WINDING DOWN
Dec. 15, 2017
MAPS Family Academy
If you are interested in registering to attend Mankato Area Public Schools' Family Academy on March 5, 2018, at Rosa Parks Elementary, here's all the information you will need. Family Academy workshops give families tips, tools and strategies to help their children succeed in school. Food and childcare will be provided. Click here for current session descriptions. Register online or call 507-387-5501 with questions or for assistance.
Here is the link to the ad that went out in the Comm Ed brochure: Family Academy Flyer
COLD WEATHER GEAR NEEDED
Parents often call the office around this time of the year asking if there are clothing items they can donate. We are always looking for donations of cold weather gear for our Jefferson students who don't have everything they need to stay warm during the tough Minnesota winters. If you are willing to donate items to help keep your children's friends warm, the following items are in very short supply.
- thick gloves or mittens (we have many of the thin cloth variety, but they aren't much good in the REALLY cold weather)
- winter hats / stocking caps
Items to be donated can be dropped off in the main office. Thank you in advance to anyone who is able to help keep our Jefferson students warm and safe!
EARLY RELEASE INFORMATION / REMINDERS
With winter weather comes the possibility of school cancellations or early releases. The last newsletter highlighted communication protocol for such events. Here are a few reminders about the procedures involved if an early release from school due to weather is announced.
- Every family completed a "Snow Emergency" release form at the beginning of the school year. On this form, parents designate whether their child(ren) will take the bus, walk, or be picked up in the event of an early release. We will follow what is written on those Snow Emergency forms.
- If an early release announcement is made, PLEASE DO NOT CALL THE SCHOOL to ask if we are getting out early. We need to keep our phone lines open for emergency purposes. An early release announcement due to weather for Mankato Area Public Schools applies to all elementary, middle, and high schools. If you are unsure whether you saw or heard the message correctly, please tune in to local radio stations or call the SCHOOL CLOSING HOTLINE: 507-386-4777. You can also refer back to the last newsletter for directions on how to sign up for text alerts from ISD77.
- If you come to pick up your child(ren) during an early release, please use the parent pick-up loop at the south end of the building. As it is every day, it's very important we keep the main parking lot at the front entrance free of traffic. This is especially crucial in bad weather where our buses need a little extra room to maneuver.
JEFFERSON PTO NEWS
The PTO met on Dec. 12th and discussed the following items:
- McEducators Night (Raised $386.93)
- Looking for a new Box Tops Chairperson
- Upcoming Applebee's Nights (Applebee's Nights Flyer)
- Climb to Feed Kids (Staff Team and PTO Team)
- Winter / Spring Event Planning
OTHER DATES TO REMEMBER
Fri., Dec. 22 Last Day of School Before Winter Break / Pajama Day!
Wed., Jan. 3 Back to School
Mon., Jan. 15 NO SCHOOL