May at Woodbrook
Dear Woodbrook Families,
Each May during Staff Appreciation Week, we have the opportunity to stop and thank the entire staff at Woodbrook Elementary School. It is a time to remember the teachers who spend countless hours preparing and creating outstanding classroom experiences for our children. It is also a time to recognize our incredible support staff for their countless contributions from our secretaries, nurse, paraprofessionals, school counselor, custodians, security guards, library and lunch aides and kitchen team.
Woodbrook is truly a TEAM of wonderful, caring people and
Mr. Narvaez and I are PROUD to be a part of this amazing team.
Thank you to our PTO for their delicious luncheon
and to you for all of your sweet wishes and treats!
Thank you to all who helped raise funds for Ukraine! We raised over $1,700 as a school! Thank you to Sophia Bogutskyy for spearheading the idea, to the children who held fundraisers in their neighborhoods, to Mrs. Sullivan and Mrs. Elmer for coordinating with our Student Council. When Woodbrook comes together, we can accomplish anything!
Congratulations to our STARS!!! Mary Poppins Jr. was a SMASH HIT! The children were FANTASTIC - their acting, singing and dancing were outstanding! A tremendous thanks to Advisors Mrs. Gram, Ms. Foley and Ms. Vallancourt! Thanks to Mrs. Sullivan and the 5th grade Art/Murals Club for creating the sets and to Mr. Narvaez for his sound help!
If you have not yet seen our show, please click here to see the stars!
Well done collecting for REPLENISH Food Drive (formerly MCFOODS)! Woodbrook was recognized for our generous donations and, as a result, we will be invited to send representatives to the “Food for Thought Challenge” sponsored by JRF, PRAB and REPLENISH.
We hope your children benefited from Take Your Child to Work Day last week. Please send in documentation for attendance on company letterhead for excused absences.
Please always ensure that you follow the TWO STEP procedure when your child is absent.
1. Call the school to report your child's absence.
2. Send a note with the REASON/doctor's note for your child's absence when your child RETURNS.
We have quite a few fun events coming up, please scroll down and join us!
Happy Mother's Day to all Woodbrook Mommies!
Preparations for Next Year
We will be creating classes for next year in the upcoming weeks.
As we prepare for next year, we will be moving students up to their next classes in our pre-covid tradition of moving your children to new classes with new friends. If you know your child should NOT be with a particular child, please email this information to your child's teacher by Monday, May 9, 2022. Your teachers will place your children with a buddy from class, but they will NOT be moved up as an entire class or a large group.As is our protocol, we do not accept requests for specific teachers, HOWEVER, if you have had a personal experience with an older child and you do NOT want a specific teacher, please let me know by emailing me directly. Remember that any teacher can teach any grade level - do not assume a teacher will remain on the same grade each year.
Scroll Through the Newsletter for Important Upcoming Events
Coming Soon! The Woodbrook Annual Family Picnic
Family Picnic Lunch
Friday, May 27
***WEATHER PERMITTING*** There is no raindate
Bring your own blanket, food & drink
Yes - siblings/grandparents welcome!
Sign Up HERE if You are Coming for the Picnic Lunch Family Picnic Lunch Friday, May 27 in case the form below does not open.
We are thrilled that we have started to book our class trips for the late spring.
We will need vaccinated PTO members to join us for the class trips as many of the venues require ADULTS to be vaccinated.
Medical Forms & Permission Slips will be emailed to you as they are prepared.
Directions for Community Pass are on the Woodbrook Announcements Page.
Kindergarten - Tuesday, May 17 Von Thuns Farm
1st Grade - Friday, April 29 Turtle Back Zoo
2nd Grade - Tuesday, May 24 Turtle Back Zoo
3rd Grade - Thursday, May 19 Liberty Science Center
4th Grade - Wednesday, June 8 Philadelphia Zoo
5th Grade - Thursday, June 2 Historical Philadelphia
Payments for school trips will only be accepted on our school Community Pass - not the township recreation department's community pass.
Many families of students in grades 3, 4 & 5 (or older) should have received their community pass letter and code earlier this year if you ordered 5th grade Camp Bernie shirts or paid for math club.
Please complete the form below if you did NOT login and set up your community pass account earlier this year. Open form HERE if form below does not work.
New Jersey Student Learning Assessment (NJSLA)
All NJ students in grades 3, 4 & 5 will take the following standardized tests.
Monday,-Wednesday May 9, 10 & 11 ELA
Thursday-Monday, May 12, 13 & 16 MATH
GRADE 5 ONLY Tuesday & Wednesday, May 17 & 18 SCIENCE
You may use the following items from previous tests with your children:
Children must bring their own earbuds or headphones for the test on all days.
Children should bring their own pencils for scrap paper on all days.
No Phones or Smart Watches are Permitted in the Testing Area.
Do not send sick children to school to take the test. They can take a make up test.
If a child is sick, he/she will not do as well as he/she can..
In addition, if they need to stop in the middle of the test, the test is voided.
Keep sick children home.
4th & 5th Grade Band, Strings & Chorus
May 24 6 p.m. (students arrive 5:30)
Enter via the glass doors by the playground.
No Idling & No U Turns
In addition, be sure you are not making a U-turn by the stop & drop lot or by the flag pole. It is dangerous and it is not permitted.
Click for the District Calendar
- Tuesday, May 3 (Eid)
- Monday, May 30 (Memorial Day)
Monday, May 23 Kindergarten Parents' Day Tea - see your teacher's invitationTuesday, May 24 Spring Concert 6 p.m. WBK gym
- 4th & 5th Grade band, strings, chorus
Band/Strings Parent Information Night in Gym for grades 3 & 4
Family Picnic Lunch BRING YOUR OWN FOOD & PICNIC BLANKET
12:20-1:-05 PM Parents Meet their Children in the Back of the School for their picnic
1:12 - 1:55 pm Parents Meet their Children in the Back of the School for their picnic
Morning Kindergarten Picnic 11:30 -12 Parents Meet their Children under the canopy & walk to the Back of the School for their picnic
Afternoon Kindergarten Picnic 12:20-12:55 Parents bring their children to the back of the school and then come to the front of the school for regular arrival.
- Friday, June 10 - K-4 End of Year Class Parties 2-3:15 p.m. (AM K 10:15-11:30 a.m.)
- Thursday, June 16 Early Dismissal
- Friday, June 17 Last Day of School Early Dismissal
***SAVE the DATE *** FIELD DAY***
FRIDAY, MAY 20
Band/Strings Parent Information Night for CURRENT Grade 3 in Gym Thursday, May 26⋅6:00 – 7:00pm
Congratulations to our Amazing Woodbrook Students!
Woodbrook's Scripps Spelling Bee Champion
Has won the Regional Spelling Bee!
Good luck in the Scripps National Spelling Bee!
ION will televise the Semifinals on June 1 and the Finals on June 2. Ion will announce a full broadcast schedule and streaming plans in early 2022. HOW TO WATCH
FIFTH GRADE NEWS
Middle School Orientations:
WWMS for students zoned for WWMS
Parents' Date: Thursday, May 26, 6:30 p.m.
Students' Date: Wednesday, May 25 (students will go during the school day on school buses)
TJMS for students zoned for TJMS
Parents' Date: Thursday, May 26, 7 p.m.
Students' Date: Thursday, May 26 (students will go during the school day on school buses)
Fifth Grade Party Thursday, June 9 (pending approval)
Fifth Grade Promotion Ceremony Tuesday, June 14, 2022 10:00 – 11:30am
Recycle your Batteries at Woodbrook!
Please recycle your batteries by sending them to school with your child.
Batteries should be placed in the battery bin
located in front of our library.
This organization was founded by former student Nihal Tammana here at Woodbrook
and our current students are working hard to keep it going!
Clubs, Drop Off & Dismissal
- Please do not park in spots around the circle, park in the stop & drop lot or on Robin Road.
- Please do not leave your engines running. Turn the cars off while waiting.
Morning Club Arrival
- Thank you to almost everyone for parking in the stop & drop lot for morning clubs.
- No one is permitted to drive around the circle for club drop off.
Morning arrival 8:40 a.m.
- Pull all the way up to the next available spot in line before letting your child out of the car.
- Do NOT let your child out by the woods, near the garbage or where there is snow, mud and grass.
- ONLY let your child out on the PASSENGER side of the car and only on the sidewalk where our Woodbrook staff stands each morning. This is for the safety of the children.
- NO U turns by the flag pole circle...no parking in the visitor spots by the flag pole circle.
- When students are late to school and no staff members are outside to greet them, ALL parents must park in a legal spot and sign their children into the school.
- No one may drop off children and drive away.
- Wear proper shoes/sneakers/sandals with backs - no flip flops - they are not safe
- Wear shirts that fully cover bellies and shoulders - no crop tops, tank tops or "spaghetti" strap tops (unless there is another layer covering shoulders). Wide tank top straps are fine.
- Wear clothing that covers undergarments - no underwear should be in sight
- Hats are okay when we are OUTSIDE - hats and hoods are not to be worn inside the building
- Sunscreen - please apply at home daily to keep our beautiful children's' faces safe
- Wear clothing that is not torn (even if it is a style) or transparent/see through