Avoca District 37 - January 9, 2022
In this important issue...
- New guidelines for shorter quarantine and isolation (very important)
- Other COVID updates (including testing clinics)
- Community Engagement & Strategic Planning Update
- Draft 2022 - 2023 Calendar Update (start dates and break dates)
- AMPLIFY AVOCA (yea!)
New Guidelines for Shorter Quarantine & Isolation
The Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH) and Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE) have announced that the agencies plan to adopt the CDC's guidance for PK-12 schools, which reduces the isolation and quarantine period to five days (as long as symptoms have subsided).
As a result, Avoca will implement this updated guidance. We do expect additional clarification as IDPH and ISBE provide more information in the coming weeks.
Below is a grid that explains when COVID positive and/or close contacts can return to school based on the new guidance.
Please note that today's announcement includes a reminder that universal masking inside school buildings is still required and is in effect until further notice. The District encourages double-masking and/or the use of KN95 mask if possible.
Please consult with your school's nurse to be sure of your student's return date if they have been in quarantine/isolation.
Other Important COVID Updates
- Get vaccinated and a booster
- If symptomatic or if a student has been exposed, get them tested
- Do not send COVID positive or symptomatic students to school
- Wear an effective mask properly whenever indoors in public
- Use rapid tests (if available) prior to going out to events or gatherings
- Take advantage of testing clinics (see below)
The schools will be limiting curricular, co-curricular, and extra curricular activities and events that could result in overly large gatherings or result in mixing which would promote viral spread or confound contact tracing.
Marie Murphy will be hosting a testing clinic on January 22 and January 29. Please stay tuned for scheduling links to be sent in the coming weeks
Glencoe District 35 will be hosting walk-in testing clinics in January too on the following dates at Misner Auditorium at Central School from 3:45 to 7 p.m. See attached flyer:
- January 10
- January 12
- January 13
- January 17
Community Engagement & Strategic Planning Update
The Strategic Planning Committee meets on January 12 (virtually) and will be reviewing:
- Prioritizing Focus Group Feedback
- Drafting Student Characteristics for Portrait of a Graduate
- Initial Review of Survey Data
- Survey data will be shared with the Board and community on January 20.
- A comprehensive Needs Assessment provided our consultant - Hazard Young Attea - will be shared with the Committee and Board and community in early or mid February.
- A draft Portrait of a Graduate will be shared with the public in February for feedback.
Please stay tuned for ongoing communications and solicitations of feedback in the coming 12 weeks as the committee's work intensifies and initial drafts of a strategic plan are developed.
Draft 2022 - 2023 School Year Calendar
A draft 2022 - 2023 calendar will be sent out for feedback in the next week or two. Some refinements need to be sent out before that time.
However, in the meantime, please know that the following dates are confirmed for start dates and major breaks, in alignment with New Trier's calendar.
- First day of student attendance is Wednesday, August 24, 2022
- No school for students November 21 - 25, 2022 for Thanksgiving Break
- No school for students/staff December 23, 2022 - January 6, 2023 for Winter Break
- No school for students/staff March 27 - 31, 2023 for Spring Break
Other dates are to be determined regarding days of attendance/non-attendance prior to sending a draft to the community for feedback. Please monitor communications in the coming weeks regarding the 2022-2023 calendar.
Click here to find the 2021-2022 calendar summary for a reminder of attendance and non-attendance days for the remainder of this year.