Mashburn Elementary Oct 3, 2014
The best way to deal with a month like October is to lean into it and know that everyone is feeling the same way. Encourage each other and laugh as often as possible, in fact....be silly, act crazy, and work to make each other laugh. Remember, sometimes it doesn't feel like everything is O.K.., but it really is. Do not buy into the lie that the "morale is low". Mashburn has one of the most professional, talented, and caring group of teachers. Our staff is made up of dedicated work horses who have accomplished so much and strive for excellence everyday. Now, indeed, we may complain a little here and there, but we pop right back up and go to work. That's called RESILIENCY and that's what makes this school such an incredible place for everyone, most importantly our children.
So, smile a lot and get out of the building when you can. Focus on the wonderful things going on around us. Join me in making a commitment to have an attitude of gratitude throughout the beautiful month of October. Here's to an awesome month of great hair days, the fair, and fun times as the weather turns a bit chillier.
What's coming up! (please share relevant dates with your parents)
Oct 2nd - National Custodians Day
Oct 6th - faculty meeting GA Milestones update
Oct 7th - Tie and Tutu Tuesday
Oct 10th - House Meeting
Oct 13th - PLC meetings
Oct 15th - Fall pic retakes
Oct 15th - Dinner for staff at 5:00 (late night for ER conferences)
Oct 15th, 16th - ER parent conferences
Oct 17th - Professional Learning day - am district day, pm school based
Oct 7th - Tie and TuTu Tuesday
Oct 20-24th - School Bus Appreciation Week
Oct 20th - Leadership meeting
Oct 21st - Reflections Awards, 6:00 PTA, mindset night, 2nd/3rd grade singing
Oct 27th - BYOT tour (this is another date change), PLC meetings
Oct 31st - Happy Halloween! Bring your favorite treat to share.
Nov 3rd - Faculty meeting - WIDA and can do descriptors
Nov 4th - Tie and Tutu Tuesday
Nov 10th - 14th - School Psychologist week!
Nov 13th - Book Fair starts
Nov 17th - Leadership Team meeting
Nov 19th - LSC meeting
Nov 20th - County Reflections Night at Mashburn
Nov 24th - 28th - Thanksgiving Break!!!!!
4 C's in technology - thoughts to remember!
1. Kids know more than we do when it comes to technology - let's lean in on their knowledge and learn from them.
2. It’s NOT about technology – it’s an instructional initiative. It’s about what the technology can do for instruction.
3. Let it go – We need to allow students to own their learning. We are facilitators of learning and don't have to be in front of the classroom all the time.
4. Everyone does NOT need a device. Research shows that kids retain more information when they learn through collaboration.
5. The 4 c’s are NOT just for technology– Creativity, critical thinking, collaboration, communication – it has to be the way we do business. It’s our MISSION – RER.
Some TKES thoughts
Here a some "truths" that I want you to know and remember:
1. Jennifer and I love this school, the students, and the staff. We are so proud to work by your side. You are bright, talented, and courageous professionals. Regardless of what feedback you receive, you must always remember that we value you and that our feedback has NOTHING to do with judgment.
2. Jennifer and I TRUST YOU! We believe that you are an exceptional group of teachers who have do remarkable things in your classrooms
3. Jennifer and I want to talk with you about what we observe in your room. Reach out and set a time to come by and visit. We can discuss observations, set goals, and, if desired, schedule a time for another walk-through visit.
4. Jennifer and I want to provide real feedback so that you can be as successful as possible in reaching and exceeding the professional expectations of our state. We want to challenge and inspire you. Do not let this process become overwhelming. Accept our observations and questions as reflective input.