CA Update 1/31/16
Its February already!
Its February already. I don't know about you but this year seems to be flying by for me!
Monday is the start of the second semester. It will be a "B" Day. Students will receive their second semester schedules in first period.
Most of the information this week focuses on information for college and careers for the senior and junior classes.
The senior class starts their last semester of high school. For parents of seniors that is probably a bitter sweet sentence for sure! It is also the start of scholarship season where our office and counseling center receive a great deal of local and national scholarships. We encourage you and your student to routinely check the counseling center webpage for the latest information on scholarships. I encourage you to reach out to your student's counselor if you have any scholarship or college application questions.
Have a great week!
1. The Polish Heritage Society of Rochester scholarship is a $4,000 scholarship for high school seniors of Polish descent living in Ontario or surrounding counties. Applications are available at www.PolishHeritageRochester.org
The deadline is Monday, February 1.
2. Casella Waste Management has eight $2,500 scholarships given to Ontario County residents committed to college level study in the fields related to environmental science, environmental engineering, agricultural, or waste management. Applications can be found in the counseling center scholarship bin, under the letter C. Scholarships must be postmarked by March 11.
3. The Student-View Scholarship Program is offering $11,000 worth of scholarships to high schools seniors who plan to attend a four-year college, community/junior college or career school. There are a total of thirteen scholarships ranging from $500-$4000. More information is available at www.student-view.com. The deadline is April 22.
4. The Buick Achievers Scholarships are for a student planning to enroll full time at a four-year college with a major that focuses on engineering, technology, design, or business, with an interest in the automotive industry. Fifty scholarships each up to $25,000 are awarded. Visit www.buickacheivers.com for more information. The deadline is February 29.
5. The Reliant Donald K. Rhine Scholarship is for students that are members of Reliant Credit Union. Visit www.reliantcu.com for more information. The deadline is February 19.
6. The Canandaigua Federal Credit Union Scholarship is for students who belong to Canandaigua Federal Credit Union. Applications are in the counseling center scholarship bin, under the letter C, and must be postmarked by April 4.
7. The Rochester Area Community Foundation offers more than 130 scholarship opportunities. Their website, www.racf.org/Scholarships , provides scholarship information.
8. Seniors considering a career in Family Medicine should apply for one of the two $1,000 scholarships available through the NYSAFP. All applications must be received by March 31. The application is available at
If your child is going to apply for this scholarship, please have them work with Mr. Gietler; he will assist with some of the requirements.
Attention Senior Parents!
Counseling Center News for Juniors!
The Counseling Cent are holding Junior Seminars on Wednesday, Feb. 3 and Thursday, February 4 during ALL periods in the LGI. We expect all juniors to attend one of the sessions during their study hall or lunch. Seminars will be running 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th period.
Students are to select one of the available days and periods BUT they cannot miss a class to attend.
The following important information will be covered in these seminars:
- The College Search timeline
- The National College Fair Field trip
- Standardized tests and what colleges look for
- PSAT results
- How to plan a college visit
The National College Fair will be at the Riverside Convention Center on Sunday March 13 from 1:00 - 3:30 for families and Monday, March 14 for schools to attend. We will be taking a bus of Juniors to the college fair on Monday the 14th. The National College Fair is a great way to meet many college reps from across the country and ask questions about their programs, majors, and campus life. If you child is interested in attending the field trip they should see their counselor for a permission slip.
Gemini Course Registration
SUNY Financial Aid Day at FLCC
Finger Lakes Community College will be hosting a SUNY Financial Aid Day on Saturday, February 20. The focus of the event is to provide families with hands-on assistance from financial aid staff in completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online. This event is open to all regardless of which colleges students plan to attend.
This free workshop runs from 9:45 am to noon and registration is required. You can register on the SUNY website: www.suny.edu/studentevents. If you have any additional questions, please contact Riley Zenoski at Riley.Zenoski@flcc.edu or contact FLCC’s Financial Aid Office at 585-785-1276.
Parents of Students Taking Gemini Courses
You may receive a 1098T tax form in the mail indicating you paid tuition to FLCC. You should discard this form because it is not applicable to you or your student IF YOUR STUDENT ONLY TOOK GEMINI COURSES AT CA.
The tuition amount listed on the form was actually paid by the district and is therefore, not tax deductible for you.
This is NEW this year for us. FLCC is legally required to send this form to anyone who paid tuition and their system does not recognize who paid the tuition.
If you have questions about the form you should contact the FLCC One Stop Office at 585-785-1000.
For a printer friendly copy of the newsletter, click HERE.