Teen Leadership Nutrition Project
eat healthy, live healthy, be healthy
Current Event #1 - Study: Vegetarians Have Much Healthier Hearts
This article specifies in the fact that vegetarians live healthier than non vegetarians. A study of 45 thousand people (34% vegetarians). Before the study happened, the medical history of all the participants were known and were compared to the non and pro vegetarians. The history included things like age, health, and lifestyle factors. The objective to be met in this experiment is to see simply who is healthier and less prone to heart or any part of the body failures. The “no-meat” vegetarian diet reduced the chances of heart disease by 32 percent. The healthier diet included cheese, fruits, vegetables, and whole grains, and less milk. On the other hand, the non-healthy diet includes almost the opposite. More fats, high cholesterol and a secret ingredient, potential heart disease. The research indicates that the reduced heart disease comes from lower blood pressure and lower cholesterol. Putting in more vegetables simply can save your life. Now greens and fruits are not the only thing that can help. Nuts and legumes, a special type of plant used in food. With a new refurbished diet, people can lower cholesterol and blood pressure, less cases of diabetes, and most importantly, less funerals.
Current Event #2- Tips To Relieve Stress
These are 8 tips to relieve stress in less than a minute.
1. take a deep breath. 2 Yell as loud as you can.
3 Visualize a peaceful place. 4 Listen to your favorite song.
5 Peel an orange. 6 Pet your dog.
7 Clean your desk. 8. Meditate
These tips are great ways to cope with stress without letting your negative/crazy side get the best of you. Some results in doing these things is a calmer and smarter life. Without stress or getting rid of stress the right way, you can make decisions with a clear mind. A clear mind avoids any regretful decisions. However, all stress is relative. Some bad choices go from getting an F on a test to unfortunately, suicide or death of another. Again, this all depends on the situation the person is in. A great example for students is the manner we handle tests and extracurricular activities and having to possess the mental ability to combine both in your life and compensate and balance both things. However, nothing is perfect, so the stress can get to you. This is where you use the 8 tips and make sure you think things through so your choice is productive in your life. Dealing with stress is in everyone, the people with the capacity to cope with it lives a healthier life.
Heart Attack Deaths Spike in Winter
This article is about the significant increase in heart attack cases throughout the cold season of winter. In the study of the project, 36% of people have heart attacks in the winter than the summer. Certain attacks associated with heart attacks are heart failure, cardiovascular disease, and stroke. In the study that is in play, the tests were met all around the country with states like California, Texas, Arizona, Georgia, Washington, Pennsylvania, and Massachusetts. The research that goes into the study, there 1.7 million people that took part in the study. However, the ironic part of this, when I say they took part in the study, the people are dead due to heart attacks.The study is not relative to eating fats or anything food harmful related. This is more of a topic that included subjects and topics that indicate the fact the the flu and cold temperatures may harm the ability to breath. A tip that can help reduce the chance of heart failure is eating nuts. They improve heart conditions and control blood sugar. Another tip is very simple, be bright. If you are happy, breathing and thinking clearly is a positive solution. Being sad or depressed creates stress, making it hard to breathe at times.
Breakfast Baked Oatmeal- http://www.moneycrashers.com/healthy-breakfast-food-ideas/
- 2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped nuts (walnuts, almonds, pecans)
- 1/3 cup dried fruit (raisins, cranberries, cherries)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
- 1 large egg
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Stir together the oats, brown sugar, nuts, dried fruit, and baking powder.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the milk, applesauce, butter, and egg. Stir into the oats mixture until combined.
- Coat an 11 x 7 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray and pour the batter into the dish.
- Bake for 20 minutes in a 375 degree oven.
- After baking, allow to cool and cut into single servings. Wrap in plastic wrap and store in the freezer using a freezer bag. In the morning, remove the wrap and heat in the microwave for about 45 seconds or until gooey and warm.
Lunch Healthy Recipe http://allrecipes.com/recipe/grilled-fish-tacos-with-chipotle-lime-dressing/detail.aspx
Original recipe makes 6 servings
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
2 teaspoons lime zest
1 1/2 teaspoons honey
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon seafood seasoning, such as Old Bay™
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce, or to taste
1 pound tilapia fillets, cut into chunks
1 (8 ounce) container light sour cream
1/2 cup adobo sauce from chipotle peppers
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
2 teaspoons lime zest
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon seafood seasoning, such as Old Bay™
salt and pepper to taste
1 (10 ounce) package tortillas
3 ripe tomatoes, seeded and diced
1 bunch cilantro, chopped
1 small head cabbage, cored and shredded
2 limes, cut in wedges
- To make the marinade, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, lime juice, lime zest, honey, garlic, cumin, chili powder, seafood seasoning, black pepper, and hot sauce in a bowl until blended. Place the tilapia in a shallow dish, and pour the marinade over the fish. Cover, and refrigerate 6 to 8 hours.
- To make the dressing, combine the sour cream and adobo sauce in a bowl. Stir in the lime juice, lime zest, cumin, chili powder, seafood seasoning. Add salt, and pepper in desired amounts. Cover, and refrigerate until needed.
- Preheat an outdoor grill for high heat and lightly oil grate. Set grate 4 inches from the heat.
- Remove fish from marinade, drain off any excess and discard marinade. Grill fish pieces until easily flaked with a fork, turning once, about 9 minutes.
- Assemble tacos by placing fish pieces in the center of tortillas with desired amounts of tomatoes, cilantro, and cabbage; drizzle with dressing. To serve, roll up tortillas around fillings, and garnish with lime wedges.
Healthy Recipe Desert- http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/chocolate_banana.html
- 1 tablespoon semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 banana, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon nonfat vanilla yogurt
- Melt chocolate chips in a small bowl in the microwave. Top banana slices with the chocolate and yogurt.