The Paw Print
Brookhaven Weekly Principal Newsletter
This year our school wide theme is inspired by the Margaret Wise Brown book, The Important Book. As we learn and grow together this year, we will celebrate what makes Brookhaven the special place it is for students, families and staff.
I will send this newsletter weekly to keep families informed of all the exciting things taking place at Brookhaven! Be sure to keep your email updated in Aeries as this will be sent electronically each Sunday.
I look forward to seeing everyone on our first day of school this Tuesday, August 31st!
Campus Open Outdoor Stroll
This coming Monday, August 30th, from 3-4 pm our campus gates will be open to allow students and parents to stroll the campus and find their classroom. All classroom doors will have a sign identifying their classroom.
This is optional and will be OUTDOORS only. No teachers will be available and classrooms will not be open but if you'd like to take a stroll and see where your classroom is located, you are more than welcome. We'd like to give parents and students the opportunity to see the campus and locate their classroom prior to the first day of school as we will continue to be a closed campus once again this year.
On the first day of school only, parents will be invited to walk their child to their classroom line. You may walk with them to the Kindergarten playground, TK playground, primary blacktop for students in 1st-3rd grade or the upper grade blacktop for students in 4th-6th grade, and briefly meet their teacher. Beginning Wednesday, September 1st, parents will not be permitted beyond the sidewalk in front of kindergarten, as we did last year. Back to School Night, on Thursday, September 2nd, will be the official evening to meet the teacher and ask questions.
I look forward to welcoming you for our campus stroll on Monday from 3-4 pm.
First Day of School Reminders
Here are some important reminders for the first day of school:
- Parents are welcome to walk their child to their class line and wait with them until the teacher greets the students. Parents will not be permitted inside the classrooms at this time.
- All classes will have a designated spot to line up and the spots will be marked with a class sign so that students and parents can easily find where to line up.
- The gates will open at 7:30 am on this day only. Beginning on Wednesday, gates will open at the usual 7:35 am.
- Students will have designated gates to enter campus, just as we did last year.
- School begins daily at 7:50 am. The TARDY bell rings at 7:45 am and students should be in their class line no later than 7:45 am.
- Students being dropped off in Valet MUST exit the car on the curbside of the car. Parents are not permitted to park and exit their vehicle while in the valet line. Students should be ready to exit.
- Valet is for students in grades 1-6 only. TK and K students must be walked to their designated gate and parents must remain with their child until the teacher arrives at the gate. Cars MUST pull ALL the way forward in the valet line.
- Students dropped off in Child Care prior to the start of school will be escorted to their class lines in time to line up to meet their teacher.
- Please be sure to send your child with a refillable water bottle, snack and lunch (if not ordering a school lunch) and a clean mask that fits appropriately. An extra clean mask in their backpack is also always a good idea. We do have masks for students that need one or forget theirs.
- As a reminder, all students in California will be able to get a school lunch at no charge again this year. They must order it with their teacher during the morning lunch count. Children who bring a lunch from home should not get a school lunch at lunchtime as we receive only the amount we send to lunch services following the daily lunch count.
- Please join me for a Principal Meet and Greet at 8:00 am in the MPR after school begins. As a reminder, everyone MUST wear a mask inside per CDPH and district protocols.
Back To School Night
Please join us in-person for our annual Back to School Night, Thursday, September 2nd!
- 5:30 PM ~ PTA Mtg at the lunch tables
- 6:00 PM ~ Session 1
- 6:40 PM ~ Session 2
*Sessions will be identical. This is a Parents-Only evening and not intended for students to attend. Masks MUST be worn inside the classrooms regardless of vaccination status.
On-Going Mitigating Measures
- Shared Responsibility Symptom Screening should be done daily prior to the arrival of school. If your child has COVID symptoms, they must stay home.
- Everyone will wear a mask indoors, regardless of vaccination status. Masks are optional outdoors.
- Handwashing stations are located around campus and hand sanitizer is located at the entrance of every classroom.
- Good hygiene habits will be taught and encouraged.
Return to School Plan and latest COVID Protocols
The district will be sending the most updated Student Decision Symptom Tree and Close Contact / COVID notification protocols on Monday, August 30th.
If your child is absent, you MUST report their absence to our school office via our 24 hour attendance line.
Brookhaven PTA News
We are very fortunate to have a dedicated, hardworking and generous PTA at Brookhaven! We have a new PTA President this year, Mrs. Traci Larson! If you are interested in being a part of our PTA and committees throughout the year, please get in touch with Traci here: email@example.com
- PTA General Association Meeting ~ September 2nd, 5:30 PM @ the lunch tables
- Please click here to join our fabulous PTA! Brookhaven PTA membership is open to everyone ~ students, parents, grandparents, alumni and supporters. Your membership helps fund school assemblies, book fairs, field trip transportation, classroom supplies, library books and more!
- Please look for the First Day PTA packet coming home with your child on Tuesday.
- August 30th ~ TK Meet & Greet, 9 am *Meet in the MPR
- August 30th ~ Kindergarten Meet & Greet, 11 am *Meet on the Kindergarten Playground
- August 30th ~ Campus Stoll, 3-4 pm *Outdoor only, no classrooms
- August 31st ~ FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL
- September 2nd ~ BACK TO SCHOOL NIGHT & PTA General Association Mtg
- September 3rd ~ Non-student Day, no school
- September 6th ~ Labor Day Holiday, no school
- September 13th ~ PTA Mtg, 7 PM
Helpful and Important Links
Online Data Confirmation ~ This MUST be updated for all students.