Animal Discovery Project
What Is Porifera?
To be porifera you have to be
- filter feeder
- have no organs/few tissues
- have to have some holes on surface
- be multicellular
- no nervous system
- be sessile.
- no mouth or anus
- niether warm blooded or cold blooded. They don't have blood
Largest class in the phylum porifera.
Sponges with a skeleton made of four-and/or six-pointed siliceous spicules, often referred to as glass sponges.
Are characterized by spicules made out of calcium carbonate in the form of calcite or aragonite.
Other Interesting Facts About Sponges
- Sponges have the ability to regrow. The fact that it can regenerate makes it one tough animal.
- The chemicals produced by sponges is being researched to help cure cancer and other types of diseases.
- Sponges are animals
- They do not move.