Australia Environmental Concerns
Agriculture clearing and overgrazing
How does overgrazing and clearing affect the environment?
Australia used to have plenty of vegetation because it was isolated from outside sources. 13% of Australia's original vegetation has been removed since European settlement. In temperate grasslands less than 2% remain.
Where does this occur in Australia
It occurs everywhere there is grass and forests. It occurrs mostly in temperate grasslands.
- It allows people to make new buildings
- It provides wood to sell
- Animals are filled up
- Animals are allowed to grow their population size
- It lets people use the land for other uses
- It takes away animals homes
- It loosens the soil
- It is seen as one of the causes of the spread of invasive plant species
- It takes away other animals source of food
- It can take away other peoples source of food with the crops they depend on