August 10, 2020 • Updates from Roosevelt Elementary
Returning to Learning!
We believe we are partners with you in your child's education, and your partnership ensures that your child has an opportunity for success. What can you and your family do now to be ready for returning to learning?
- Check out the 2 main tech platforms where your child will be learning and interacting with teachers and classmates: Google Meet and Google Classroom. You can read or watch a video below to learn more about each one so you'll know what to expect.
- Learn how to check out your child's own laptop for the year. Each grade-level will be assigned certain days to pick up laptops. Watch for a call from the district when it's your child's turn.
- Wondering about supplies and schedules? We know this is vital information, and we will update as soon as possible. For now, start planning how to set up a learning space for your child (see video below), and gather basic supplies like paper and pencils.
Your child will use Google Meet to meet with teachers and classmates in live videoconferences. Google Meets are a great chance to learn, ask questions, get help, and check in with your class, so it's important not to miss them. Watch THIS VIDEO to learn more.
Students visit Google Classroom to get their assignments, view tutorial videos from their teachers, and turn in their work. Students should visit Google Classroom every day. Here's a SHORT VIDEO GUIDE FOR PARENTS.
Principal Nancy Smith shares a Bear welcome and updates as we launch this historic school year.
Welcome to our New Bear Teachers!
Read Principal Nancy Smith's welcome letter to YOU, our families, for the 2020-21 school year—also mailed home this week.
In the letter we're also welcoming several amazing staff members to our Roosevelt team, and we are thrilled to add the wealth of these professionals to our staff for this history-making journey:
- Mrs. Yolanda Vanscoy will join our 2nd-grade team.
- Mrs. Alvena McClintick and Mr. Casey Mitchell will teach special education.
Coming soon: Drive-through pick-ups
We’ll host 2 pick-ups—more details coming soon!
- On Monday, August 24, you can drive through to pick up items left in classrooms last March, and also return items such as library books.
- We will also host a drive-through pick-up for new school materials and supplies. Updates will be shared on Remind and on our website.
What are the 3 Easiest Ways for Parents to Stay in Touch?
This is the FASTEST way to get instant updates. Download the Remind app and enter our Roosevelt code--9e3689. Or skip the app and just text @9e3689 to 81010. Watch THIS VIDEO for more info.
Visit our Roosevelt website weekly for updates on returning to learning and more! You can also read past issues of Bear Tracks, look up your child's teacher in the staff directory, and more.