Murphy Middle School eNews
November 19, 2015
Help the MMS PTA & the PISD Education Foundation While Entertaining Your Family!
Relatives in town for the Thanksgiving holiday and you’re looking for something fun to do?
Join the Plano ISD Education Foundation and the Plano ISD Council of PTAs at PISD Night with the Texas Legends! We'll be "Hooping it Up" and "Backing the Future of our children" on Saturday, November 21 starting at 7:00 pm at the Texas Legends Basketball Arena in Frisco. Tickets are only $10 per person.
Click here to purchase tickets.
The Plano ISD Education Foundation and the Plano ISD Council of PTAs have joined forces for a fun event with the Texas Legends Basketball Team, the D League for the Dallas Mavericks.
Purchase a ticket and 100% of the proceeds benefit Plano ISD! You can choose Murphy Middle School PTA to support with your purchase. Don't forget to wear your spirit wear to the game to show everyone you are MMS proud!!!
Go to the Texas Legends website and scroll down to get your tickets or click above!
Murphy Middle School Events & Information
Orchestra Skate Night - Thursday, November 19 from 6:00-8:00 at Thunderbird Skate
Texas Legends Family Fun Night - A Fundraiser for the Plano ISD Education Foundation and the MMS PTA! - Saturday, November 21st at 7:00. See details in PTA section!
THANKSGIVING BREAK - NO SCHOOL - Monday, November 23 - Friday, November 27
Orchestra Cluster Concert Rehearsal - Tuesday, December 1
Orchestra Cluster Concert - Saturday, December 5
Final Exams - Tuesday, December 15 - Friday, December 18
Winter Break for Students - Monday, December 21 through Monday, January 4 (no school for students on Monday, January 4)
Teachers return to work - Monday, January 4
Athletic Events - November/December
Admission cost for athletic events is $2 for students and $4 for adults. Please help out our ticket takers by bringing small bills.
7th Grade Girls Basketball (6:00 & 7:00 unless otherwise noted)
Thursday, 11/19 vs. Hendrick at Hendrick
Thursday, 12/3 vs. Armstrong at Armstrong
Thursday, 12/10 vs. Frankford at MMS
7th Grade Boys Basketball (6:00 & 7:00 unless otherwise noted)
Thursday, 11/19 vs. Hendrick at MMS
Thursday, 12/3 vs. Armstrong at MMS
Thursday, 12/10 vs. Frankford at Frankford
8th Grade Girls Basketball (6:00 & 7:00 unless otherwise noted)
Tuesday, 12/1 vs. Armstrong at Armstrong
Monday, 12/7 vs. Frankford at MMS
8th Grade Boys Basketball (6:00 & 7:00 unless otherwise noted)
Tuesday, 12/1 vs. Armstrong at MMS
Monday, 12/7 vs. Frankford at Frankford
Academy Programs of Plano - Information & Meeting Dates Attached To eNews Email
Parents will also have opportunities to learn about each academy during several informational meetings. If your child is interested in one (or more) of the programs, please consider attending one of these meetings. (See schedule below)
An information page about each academy - as well as the schedule below - is attached to the eNews email.
InfoCenter - Managing Communications From Your Child's School & From the District
Plano ISD has implemented InfoCenter, allowing you to better control how you receive communications from your school or district. The following is a guide to help you get started.
What is InfoCenter?: InfoCenter provides access to all the messages and information sent by your organization. Accessible from any internet-enabled device, InfoCenter visually displays and organizes alerts, notifications, and attachments for easy review and reference. InfoCenter also allows you to customize how you receive communications from PISD (campus and district).
How do I sign up for InfoCenter?: Signing up for InfoCenter is easy. Using the email address that you have on file for your district (emergency card), follow these three steps:
1. Download the InfoCenter by SchoolMessenger app from the Apple App Store or Google Play Market. You can also access the InfoCenter web portal at https://infocenter.schoolmessenger.com/
2. Click the “New User” button, enter your email address, and create a password. An email will be sent to that address with a secure token. Note: If you receive an “already claimed by another user account” error message that means you’ve already created a SchoolMessenger account via another SchoolMessenger product, such as Contact Manager. Simply follow the “Return to login” link and login. Use the “Forgot your password” link if needed.
3. After authenticating via the token sent to your email, return to InfoCenter and sign in using your email and password.
What’s in InfoCenter?:Once you’ve created your account, the records associated with your email address will be linked automatically. You can then:
- View the records associated with your account.
- Review the last 30 days worth of messages for all your associated records.
- View your contact information, and configure how you’d like to receive notifications.
Important Things to Know:
- Regardless of how you choose to receive notifications, all messages associated with your records will be retained in the InfoCenter inbox for 30 days.
- You can opt into receiving Device Notifications (Push) under Notification Preferences. When choosing to receive Device Notifications, a badge or alert will appear when you receive new communications from Plano ISD.
Our provider, SchoolMessenger, makes the security and privacy of your data a top priority. As one of over 100 approved signatories to Student Privacy Pledge, you can feel ensured that your student’s information is safe and will never be sold, rented or shared.
7th & 8th Grade Science & Engineering Fair - Refreshments for Judge's Corner Still Needed
Mark your calendar! December 3rd, 2015 is the Annual Murphy Middle School 7th and 8th grade Science Fair and Engineering Fair in the MMS Library from 8:30-1:30pm (judges only).
Should you like to enlist your shopping or cooking skills, the Judge’s Corner will be needing refreshments such as bottled water, coke, diet coke, sprite, cookies, fruit, breakfast muffins, coffee, coffee cups, etc.
Please email Mrs. Jones (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you are willing to donate items for the Judge’s Corner. Thank you!
Should you like to assist with judging, please email email@example.com with your science background and your preferred area of judging. Thank you!
Attention kiddos in grades K‐2, 3‐6, 7‐10!
Keep Murphy Beautiful challenges you to create a mascot recycle poster to decorate a Progressive Waste Solutions recycle truck. Please be sure to see the rules and guidelines below and fill out an entry form on the reverse side to submit with your artwork.
WHO: Kids in grades K‐10 who live in or attend school in Murphy.
- Schools: Tibbals, Hunt, Boggess elementary, Murphy Middle School, & McMillen High School and homeschool or other private schools
WHAT: Create a recycle mascot with the theme ‐ “How can I Make a Difference with Murphy Recycling”
- The artwork should be on a piece of paper, card stock, or poster board, dimensions: 8.5” x 11” or 11” x 14”
- Designs must be horizontal.
- Designs must include the name of the mascot.
- Designs can be created with crayons, magic markers, paint, color pencils, ink, and/or digital.
- Each poster must have the artists name, age, grade, address, and phone number clearly printed on the entry form and attached to the back of the art work.
Entries without an entry form will not be eligible.
WHEN: Submissions must be turned into the to City Hall Customer Service by 5pm, Monday, November 30, 2015.
PRIZES: An award will be presented to all 1st place winners– one for each of the following categories: K‐2nd, 3rd‐6th, & 7th‐10th grades
- Each first place winner will have their artwork printed on a Progressive Recycle truck for one year.
Questions and Entries can be directed to City of Murphy, Customer Service Department, Candy McQuiston, 206 N Murphy Road, Murphy, TX 75094, telephone 974‐468‐4045 email: firstname.lastname@example.org
News From Megan Schuler RN, BSN - Plano ISD Director for District Health
In preparation for a healthy 2015-2016 school year, the Plano ISD health services team would like to provide the following helpful and important information. Our team’s purpose is to support a safe and healthy school environment. School nurses need your assistance as we work together toward this common goal. You can help us by encouraging behaviors we teach at school and by following a few guidelines for keeping your children home when they are not feeling well.
Please review the information:
· Immunizations must be up to date according to the Department of State Health Services (DSHS) guidelines for school entry and attendance: http://www.pisd.edu/parents/health/immunizations.shtml.
· All medications and medical procedures at school must have completed paper work. Please see our website at: http://www.pisd.edu/parents/health/index.shtml or contact your school nurse.
· All controlled substances must be brought in by the parent or guardian.
· Please keep your children home for:
o Fever of 100° or more for the duration of the fever plus an additional 24 hours after cessation without fever-reducing medication
o Vomiting or diarrhea for 24 hours after cessation
o Generalized rash
o Oozing wounds that cannot be kept dry and covered
o Red, draining eye
o Untreated live lice
o See the completed list for exclusions: http://www.pisd.edu/parents/health/diseases.shtml
· Please remind your children of cough and sneeze etiquette:
o Cough or sneeze into a tissue or sleeve and not into hands
o Always wash hands for 20 seconds
· Please observe the proper hand washing technique: vigorous friction rub for 20 seconds with soap and rinse with water.
· State screening mandates are performed for vision, hearing (Kg, 1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th and all new students), Acanthosis Nigricans (1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th and all new students) and Scoliosis (5th and 8th).
· Growth and development class is taught for girls during 4th grade and boys and girls during 5th grade. A note will be sent home from your school detailing the date and materials to be presented. See your school nurse for details.
· Benadryl and epinephrine are kept in the clinic, to be used by only the school nurse, for undiagnosed episodes of anaphylaxis. Having this medication available for unexpected, severe life-threatening anaphylaxis does not take the place of individual prescribed auto-injectors for diagnosed cases of severe allergy.
· Current health information is crucial for proper care. Please notify your school nurse of all health related issues. This can be done via the Parent Portal: https://parentviewer.pisd.edu or by visiting your school nurse.
· SB 265 (84th Legislative session), allows a student to possess and use a topical sunscreen product during school and related events to avoid overexposure to the sun. The product must be approved by the Federal Food and Drug Administration for over-the-counter use. For a full explanation: http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/BillLookup/Text.aspx?LegSess=84R&Bill=SB265
Please do not hesitate to contact your school nurse or district health services for assistance. I also encourage you to visit our website at http://www.pisd.edu/parents/health/index.shtml.
We look forward to working together with you in the 2015-2016 school year. On behalf of our nurses, assistants and the entire team, we hope you have a safe and healthy year!
Megan Schuler RN, BSN
Plano ISD Director for District Health
Spring PACE testing referral packets are now available in the front office or through the website, http://pisd.edu/parents/advanced.academics/gifted.pace/.
All referral packets are due by January 13th to Mr. Matisoff in N101. PACE testing at MMS will occur on February 29th for all students. Students should currently be in or plan on taking at least one honor’s class before deciding to test. If you have any questions, please contact Mr. Matisoff, Murphy’s PACE Specialist.
Diversity Leadership Award
The Diversity Leadership Award Nomination Form and further details about this award are attached to the eNews email.
So Many Ways To Be Involved - MMS Clubs (Updated List)
out some simple forms.
Here are the clubs that are formed so far - along with the name and email information of the teacher serving as custodian. Meeting times/dates are set by the teacher, so please direct your questions to him/her.
Book Club with Ms. Pearson in the Library (email@example.com)
Star Wars Club with Mr. Murtaugh in B129 (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Environmental Club with Ms. Pilgrim in E113 (email@example.com)
Soccer Club with Mr. Murtaugh in B129 (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Baseball Club with Mr. Lagattuta in E112 (email@example.com)
Joy Club with Ms. Perry in J105 (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Reading Rain Club with Ms. Byrd in E101 (email@example.com)
Mavs Steep Steppers with Ms. Holt in H102 (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Basketball Club with Mr. Henson in D101 (email@example.com)
- Check out the latest Basketball Club News at www.Tinyurl.com/murphybballclub
Tennis Club with Ms. Hachtel in E111 (firstname.lastname@example.org)
French Club with Ms. Nee in K104 (email@example.com)
Singing & Dancing Club with Mr. Lagattuta in E112 (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Chef's Club with Ms. Thompson in D112 (email@example.com)
Poetry Club with Ms. Edenkrans in F103 (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Harry Potter Club with Mr. Lagattuta in E112 (email@example.com)
Looking for something fun to do over the holidays? Bring the whole family to this fun event.
Mary Fuentes and Vanessa DeVary are the November Volunteers of the Month!
You have gone above and beyond for MMS. Your hard work and planning are appreicated. Thank you so much for all of your do!!
Murphy MIddle School PTA Community Partners 2015-2016
Please remember our generous sponsors when shopping for services or supplies!!
For more Murphy information, please visit the Murphy web page:
For Murphy PTA news: http://www.mmspta.org
To unsubscribe from Murphy eNews or change your email address, please go to: http://elist.pisd.edu/
If you are getting eNews because you use Parent Portal, please go to: https://parentviewer.pisd.edu/ to revise your subscription.