The Tiger Times
September 16, 2022
Dear West Newton Families,
We have some big events coming up at West Newton:
Setting conference times with each of our students’ families
Final conference confirmation letters go home on Sept. 26
Sept. 29 from 5:30-7:00pm = Grandparents Night + Book Fair Grand Opening!
Dinner is $5 per person + get an early start on shopping the Book Fair
Book Fair will be open through Oct. 7
Lunch with Someone You Love dates & times during the Book Fair
Sept. 30 = Kindergarten @ 10:00am and Grade 3 @ 1pm
Oct. 3 = Grade 2 @ 11:00am and Grade 4 @ 11:30am
Oct. 4 = Grade 1 @ 10:30am
Oct. 6 = Grade 6 @ 12:00pm and Grade 5 @ 12:30pm
Families are welcome to come to lunch any day that works for your schedule - these days are just suggestions.
Wed., Oct. 5 = Conference Day; classes will not be in session
The Book Fair will be open from 7am-7pm on Conference Day!
We could use more parent volunteers to support our PTO events; especially the Book Fair. Please click on this link if you would like to sign-up to volunteer at a West Newton PTO event:
Our West Newton students are amazing! Thank you so much for partnering with us in our students’ success and for sharing your children with us. #DecaturProud
With Tiger Pride,
Susan D. Strube
West Newton PTO - Events at a Glance
Thursday, September 29 ~ Book Fair Open House
Thursday, Sepetmber 29 ~ Grandparent's Night - 5:30-7:00
Tuesday, October 4 ~ PTO Meeting @ 5:30pm
Wednesday, October 5 ~ Student Led Conference/NO SCHOOL
Former WN Students
Check out West Newton students who are members of the Decatur Middle School Colorguard. They will be performing Sept 8th and 22nd at the Middle School Football Half-time show!! Congratulations and Good Luck!!
If your student does not have the required immunizations, please take note of the following options:
● On Wednesday, September 21st, families will have the opportunity to attend a vaccination clinic at the Decatur Township School for Excellence in the Community Room (door 1) from 4:30-7pm. It is important to maintain compliance for the safety of your student.
● Make an appointment with your primary care physician's office
● Marion County Health Department: find a clinic that is administering immunizations, please visit the Marion County Health Department at http://marionhealth.org/immunize/
● Community Clinic at Walgreens - their Mann Road location at 317-487-0722 for further information regarding possible age and insurance limitations.
If you have made an appointment with your doctor or another provider, please notify your school nursing staff of the date immediately. After your child’s appointment, immunization records should be turned into the school immediately after the appointment.
If you have any other questions or are unsure of what vaccines your child should receive, please call your school and speak to the School Nurse.
Paige Ison, RN
West Newton Elementary
HEALTH HERO FLU VACCINE CLINIC
Free flu vaccines will be provided by Health Hero clinic at West Newton on Friday Sept. 30th! Consent forms will be sent home with students by Sept. 7th and we ask that you have those filled out and returned no later than Sept. 21st. You do not have to worry about billing, we just ask that all insurance information is provided and billing will be sent appropriately. If it is not covered by your insurance, we do not ask for any payments for services. We accept non-insured students as well. Please let us know if you have any questions!!
Paige Ison, RN
West Newton Elementary
Please visit our Child Nutrition Department Website (https://www.decaturproud.org/child-nutrition/p-ebt) for resources and general information about P-EBT cards.
MSD of Decatur Township and the Child Nutrition Department do not have access to P-EBT information or funds.
All calls and questions need to be directed to The Family and Social Services Administration.
MSD of Decatur Township
Child Nutrition Department
Current Job Openings in Decatur Schools
SCHOOL SUPPLIES STORE
COKE LIDS COLLECTION
FOOD FREE BIRTHDAY CELEBRATIONS
NO SMOKING / NO VAPING POLICY
Decatur Township School Police Department, (DTSPD), in collaboration with the Drug Free Coalition, is excited to offer a new diversion program for students found to be in possession of tobacco products,
e-cigarettes, and or vaping devices. DTSPD has also partnered with our local courts in an effort to minimize the use of these products and devices on our campuses. Our students, if found with the aforementioned items, would be in violation of Indiana Code 35-46-1-10.5, Minor in Possession of a Tobacco Product or an Electronic Cigarette or 7.1-5-12-8 Smoking in a Prohibited Area. Each of these would be met with an Indiana citation, also known as a “Uniform Traffic Ticket,” (UTT). When submitted to the courts, the cost of the ticket for this violation is $170.50. This is an actual ticket and will affect your license or the ability to obtain one if left unpaid. Our objective however, is not to create financial hardship, but to have an opportunity to educate students and families on the dangers of vaping and tobacco products. Twice per month, DTSPD officers will present a 1-hour class for students who have opted to accept the terms of the diversion program. The cost of the class for a student attending alone is $75.00. If a student attends the class with a parent or guardian, the class is discounted at a cost of $25.00. Upon the completion of the class, the UTT, or citation, will not be referred to the courts, and there will be no record of the violation. A student may only participate in the program once per school year, and only twice throughout their entire school career.
CAR RIDER PROCEDURES
Please see below for current and accurate car rider procedures.
Thank you for your efforts to ensure our car rider line is running smoothly! As a reminder, please use both the right and left sides of the lower parking lot. It would be best to join the shorter line to prevent back-up on Mooresville Rd. Please pull up so that gaps are not left between vehicles.
During arrival and dismissal, the buses park in front of the school. Students may not be dropped off from a car at the front of the school during arrival or picked up there during dismissal. Please follow the procedures outlined below for car rider drop-off and pick-up at the back of West Newton, Door 10.
- Car Riders
- Please enter the car rider line through the lower parking lot off Mooresville Road. We are not to block Hayworth Road, so please wait at the bottom of the hill until you can proceed all the way to the top. Do not try to enter the car rider line by entering Hayworth from Mooresville and making a U-turn.
- In the lower parking lot, please join the line on the right or left side of the lot (either side of the cement medians). Cars will take turns merging into the access road that leads to Hayworth Road.
- Drop-off is from 7:20-7:40 a.m. Students will not be able to exit vehicles until 7:20 a.m.
- The first car must pull all the way up to the first red pole by the blue sign.
- The next 2 cars need to pull up to the second and third red poles.
- Please have your child ready to exit your car when you pull up to the sidewalk area. Once the school door (10 South) is open, the first three (3) cars are to unload. For safety, students need to be ready to exit the vehicle on the passenger side and parents should remain in the vehicle.
- In order to expedite unloading, please watch for an adult to wave your child out of the car once you have stopped by the sidewalk.
- Please do not hold up the car rider line by having last minute discussions, signing papers or waiting to be first in line.
- Please wait until students are on the sidewalk before pulling away.
- Students will line up inside the school the hallways and then be dismissed to classrooms at 7:30.
- Once the bell rings at 7:40 students are considered tardy and must enter through the front doors and come through the office to sign in.
- Car rider dismissal will begin at 2:20 p.m. at Door 10 South on Hayworth Rd. (same route as AM)
- If your child is not in line when we begin loading cars we may ask you to pull forward.
- Once buses pull out of the parking lot, the back door is closed and students will need to be picked up in the office by coming to the door to get them.
- We request your patience, as we expect a larger number of car riders this year. We will move the line as quickly as possible while student and staff safety will be our first priority.
- Please ensure your car rider sign is displayed in the windshield.
Health Services Newsletter Link, COVID Reporting Form and Updates
- We encourage all families to conduct a daily screening of your children prior to sending them to school. COVID symptoms are any of the following:
- Fever or chills
- Sore throat or shortness of breath
- Cough (especially new onset, uncontrolled) or shortness of breath
- Diarrhea, nausea or vomiting, abdominal pain
- Headache (particularly new onset or severe especially with fever)
- New loss of taste or smell
- A positive COVID case will need to quarantine/isolate at home for a period of five (5) days. A student/staff member may return at the conclusion of five days if they are no longer showing any symptoms.
- If your child tests positive, please access our “COVID Parent Reporting Form” on the main page of our website, or call your school’s front office. The following link is the reporting form:
- Click here for the Parent COVID Reporting Form
- Students who are close contacts may come to school because of our mask requirement. A medical note is required if close contacts quarantine at home.