Cause of Diabetes
4 Risks Factors & 3 Avoidable
- Weight. Being overweight is a primary risk factor for type 2 diabetes.
- Fat distribution. If your body stores fat primarily in your abdomen, your risk of type 2 diabetes is greater than if your body stores fat elsewhere, such as your hips and thighs.
- Inactivity. The less active you are, the greater your risk of type 2 diabetes. Not Avoidable
- Family history. The risk of type 2 diabetes increases if your parent or sibling has type 2 diabetes.
- Age. The risk of type 2 diabetes increases as you get older, especially after age 45.
- Prediabetes. Prediabetes is a condition in which your blood sugar level is higher than normal, but not high enough to be classified as diabetes.
- Gestational diabetes. If you developed gestational diabetes when you were pregnant, your risk of developing type 2 diabetes increases
Pick the Right Appetizer
Eating greens with a vinaigrette before a starchy entrée may help control your blood sugar levels.
Ditch Your Car
Walk as much as you can every day. You'll be healthier -- even if you don't lose any weight
Nudge the Scale
Shedding even 10 pounds can significantly slash your risk.
Be a Cereal Connoisseur
Selecting the right cereal can help you slim down and steady blood sugar.
Indulge Your Coffee Cravings
If you're a coffee fan, keep on sipping. The beverage may keep diabetes at bay.
Go Veggie More Often
Consider red meat a treat -- not something to eat every day.
Ways To Treat Diabetes
- Healthy eating.
- Regular exercise.
- Possibly, diabetes medication or insulin therapy.
- Blood sugar monitoring.