Senator from Vermont
After graduating, Sanders spent time on an Israeli kibbutz, an experience that shaped his political views. A kibbutz is a collective community in Israel that was traditionally based on agriculture. Kibbutzim began as utopian communities, a combination of socialism and Zionism.
With Bernie Sanders as Senator, Vermont had the 3rd highest min. wage in the US, at $8.60/hr. Also, Vermont had the 4th lowest unemployment rate.
- Raising the wage to $10.10 an hour, as Democrats have proposed, would actually bring the wage in line with its historical purchasing power. Had it been indexed to inflation in 1968, it would be $10.40 today.
- Nearly 90 percent of minimum wage workers are 20 years old or older.
- More than a quarter of minimum wage workers are parents.
- There is evidence that making a lower minimum wage can harm workers' children.
- The National Employment Law Project looked at Census data from 2009–11 and found that 66 percent of low-wage workers are employed by large businesses with over 100 employees.
- The fifty largest employers of low-wage workers have all recovered from the recession and are in strong financial positions.